Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

A new distro: Debian under another name and brand

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
el chapulín

Re: A new distro: Debian under another name and brand

#16 Post by el chapulín »

emariz wrote:Do they acknowledge that their system is Debian under the hood? Do they claim that they created it?
Do ubuntu? I don't think that's a factor here...
dasein wrote:Point #1: In fairness, this page linked to above clearly hasn't been updated in a year or more. And when it was written, Pardus was indeed an independent distro being developed by TUBİTAK, as outlined in the OP.
I cannot see any official links from the Pardus site or TUBİTAK, to these phantom Debian based 2011.3 rc releases. The links in the OP prove nothing and only seem to point to a Debian mirror. I'm not seeing the rebranding, is there any evidence of rebranding? I grabbed the squeeze desktop-base source file, extracted it and cannot see any rebranding at all, meaning that the debian logo, wallpapers, splash screens,. etc will appear... I searched the web but can see very little talk of this, even on turkish sites - can the OP provide links?

It's clearly a politcal thread/protest with very little in the way of hard facts, but very biased, heavy on rhetoric and vague unsubstantiated claims - I'm very wary of this sort of thing:

"After the 3rd election victory of the pro-Islamic, fundamentalist, pro-USA governing party in Turkey and during their 3rd term"

"synchronized with mass arrests and trials of opponents"

"Some say..."

"some say that..."

"as made public by some participants..."

"There are tons of reviews out there with screenshots and even with videos..."

"Those Pardus 2011.3 rc1 ISOs seems to be no longer there on the ftp..."

"They might put non-free elements in main and so on, because of having no notion of GNU/Linux and having no respect for free software philosophy; and there might be even more evil components among software..."

"Nowadays jokes on "pseudo Pardus/genuine Debian" and "the theft case" are very popular among Turkish GNU/Linux society...."

I half expected you to finish up with a request for €200,000 to be deposited into a Nigerian bank account...? :roll:

You may be telling the truth, or not, or you may be repeating someone else's misinformation - either way, back up this story with hard evidence or it's just another politically motivated FUD spreading exercise...

dasein

#17 Post by dasein »

mikeonthemarne wrote:... when a state, whose present régime has a particular ideology, hijacks the name of the original project...
I always find it interesting when a brand-new account makes its first appearance in the middle of an otherwise obscure thread. Maybe I'm just old and cynical, but it makes me think "alt account."

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, every regime has a "particular" ideology. It kind of goes along with being, well, a regime.

And Pardus was originally a Turkish government effort. So it's hard to imagine how one "hijacks" something that one already owns.

Insofar as I know, nothing in the GPL, nor the DFSG, says, "we have to like your politics." Any other position exhibits the naivete that this particular post decries.

nadir

#18 Post by nadir »

dasein wrote: At the risk of pointing out the obvious, every system has a "particular" ideology. It kind of goes along with being, well, a system
Corrected it for you.

Every system so far has considered itself the best of all and the end of history too.
Nothing unusual
(democracy, in the beginning, was thought as an endless process to a goal never to be reached, btw. A regulating and idealistic idea. For unknown reasons they gave up on that).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

emariz

#19 Post by emariz »

el chapulín wrote:
emariz wrote:Do they acknowledge that their system is Debian under the hood? Do they claim that they created it?
Ubuntu has always stated that it is based on Debian (1). This information has been in (more or less) the same place for years.
And it matters because deception is a typified criminal offence.

1. http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubu ... and-debian

el chapulín

#20 Post by el chapulín »

emariz wrote:
el chapulín wrote:
Ubuntu has always stated that it is based on Debian (1). This information has been in (more or less) the same place for years.

Fair enough, but it's a small section, three clicks from the main page...

Very different to crunchbang's main page:

"CrunchBang is a Debian GNU/Linux based distribution..."
http://crunchbanglinux.org/

debil

#21 Post by debil »

emariz wrote:
el chapulín wrote:

Huh? Wait a minute, is Ubuntu OS actually a GNU/Linux distribution? And Debian-based one, even. Live and learn indeed...
Q: Why is the Eunux kernel so bloated?
A: It was made in the image of its founder.

phenest

#22 Post by phenest »

There is a lot of accusations concerning Pardus. The only thing I can find on their website, is them taking credit for a Linux initiative in Turkey. If there is something that suggests more, can someone both link to, and quote it.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D