Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Acrobat 7 won't print under Etch and KDE 3.5.4 -- Solved!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
ralvy

Acrobat 7 won't print under Etch and KDE 3.5.4 -- Solved!

#1 Post by ralvy »

Running Etch, fully updated. I find that Acrobat 7, when loaded under KDE 3.5.4, won't print. The KDE printer tool shows no sign of the print job ever arriving. This also happens when I attempt to print a document via Macromedia Flash (e.g., the latimes.com Daily Crossword Puzzle).

Harold

#2 Post by Harold »

Is cupsys-bsd installed?

ralvy

#3 Post by ralvy »

Harold wrote:Is cupsys-bsd installed?
No. But after reading your post, I installed it and all is fine now. Interesting. I don't ever remember having to deal with cupsys-bsd before. In any event, thanks!

Harold

#4 Post by Harold »

There are two competing print spoolers out there. The BSD spooler, implemented as LPR and LPRNG, and the System V spooler, implemented as CUPS. Only one print spooler can be active at any given time.

Some applications assume BSD spooling is running; some assume System V spooling is running. The cupsys-bsd package permits CUPS to intercept and handle print jobs that an application tries to send to a BSD-type spooler. Otherwise, that print job would just sort of disappear into the ether.

ralvy

#5 Post by ralvy »

Got it. I guess every time I've installed a distro, this was done automatically when I installed cups.