Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Seeds

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Strider22

Seeds

#1 Post by Strider22 »

I have an idea that might help popularize Debian.

I've been doing linux servers for a while and have taken the open source application route on the desktop. That is I use OOo, firefox, gaim on an XP box.

When I go to install Linux for the desktop, I'm always tempted by the distributions but there is so much choice that I waste all my free time comparing. I want to use Debian but I've waited years for the Linux/Debian desktop. So I play with the distros but am unhappy because I really want Debian. But there are all those other apps that are in backports.

What I think would help is the concept of "Seeds". If you like what you have done on your computer, share it. Rather than a new distro all we need is a package list. Post your dpkg -list

These lists could be shared via the wiki.debian.org either as examples of what has satisfied some users or just as an extra page after your home page. eg Strider22/packages.

A true seed would be a dpkg -list transmuted into a pre-seed script so that when a newbie comes along he can install the most popular seed for his task set. The seed can be updated as often as necessary and the seed can use backports. Graphic artist seed, Teenager seed, Music teacher, School teacher.

I think a the concept of a seed allows a "thin" modification of Debian without creating a new distro. It's still Debian. Skins are very popular because they allow customization. If a user follows a seed then themes can follow where new skins are put on all the apps. Whoeee!

OK, I need to address why even more choice satisfies my complaint of too much choice in the first place. It's simple, I get to choose Debian. If I find I dislike a seed, I'm still in Debian. The file tree is still the same, etc. etc.

Does this idea have any merit to you?

ajdlinux

#2 Post by ajdlinux »

I think it has merit, this could be quite useful.

Too late for etch however. :(
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

jjmac

#3 Post by jjmac »

Sounds like your talking about people sharing their customisations/workarounds etc. Sounds good to me. The dpkg-repack facility could easily be used to automate a packaging of a customisation for a quick test. But source would be needed as well.

But ... It sounds like something that would need a dedicated site to maintain and coordinate. Especially to track security etc ...

Isn't that how the deb derivates start out anyway :)

jm

Strider22

#4 Post by Strider22 »

Security is standard Debian. Once you load a seed, you just apt-get update, apt-get upgrade as usual.

ajdlinux

#5 Post by ajdlinux »

I could think of a very simple way to make 'seeds':

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
apt-get install `cat $1`
Save as 'seed-installer', create a file that says 'x-window-system-core kde kdm openoffice.org', then run ./seed-installer x-kde-ooo.seed or similar.

BTW has this been inspired by the Gentoo project of the same name?
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

DeanLinkous

#6 Post by DeanLinkous »

*i think* this is kind of similar to a idea I have had for a while just about sharing pre-seed files or possible even having a project that listed various preseed files. Sort of like recipes is what I likened them to. You could look thru the recipe book and decide which one you liked the best to try out and then start the installer with the preseed specified and then it would take care of putting the ingredients together and you come out with a debian cake. ;) It would still be a pure debian install. I had thought that a community project would be best. It would be for those that would like to run debian but had no idea what to install or which choices to make so a preseed does it all for them. It is *almost* a one step install using preseed files.

I actually already have a domain name I got for the project and sharing some of my webspace but cannot decide on the details.

Something to make debian a tad easier to install yet still allowed all the debian goodness to shine thru. ????