sceenshots

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

sceenshots

Postby glidermike » 2006-10-02 23:57

This weekend a friend gave up on his Xp--- it was pooched and wouldn't boot up because of viri and defragmentation.(His kids are constantly online downloading from filesharing sites) So he came to me looking for help , and after seeing my Debian in action and seeing my desktop in all it's glory he decided to give it a try!
The point I would like to make in this post is that screenshots can help show the merits of Debian and how user friendly it's becoming.
I find that friends come over and see my running desktop, get curious and sit in the drivers seat and start 'messin around, soon they are hooked! I explain the security of the O/S ( they always seem to worry that they will "mess it up") and the way you can customize the desktop and fine tune it to your own preferences.
So how about a screenshots section? then we can all show off our goodies and trade tips!

Linux Registered User #406181
glidermike

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-10-03 00:08

Yeah, I found the best way to convince my friends to switch was to just get them to come over to my place and have a look. I gave a friend of mine a quick overview of APT, the system stability, customisability and everything and he just said 'this is great, i want linux....'
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au
ajdlinux

Postby ajdlinux » 2006-10-03 00:08

Also I did start a screenshots thread in Offtopic if you want to have a look at my desktop :)
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au
ajdlinux

Postby ghostdawg » 2006-10-03 01:12

I like how the transparency looks for kde...pretty kool desktop.

Also maybe mods can merge this thread with the other one!
ghostdawg

Postby mechmg93 » 2006-10-03 01:56

nice desktop :wink:

all of my friends use windows. but when they saw my debian/xfce box running aiglx-compiz they were amazed. a cutting edge 3d desktop with cutting edge features, very beautiful and attractive, and the most important, very light(much more lighter than XGL, which i do not use anymore..).
mechmg93

Postby _FOCUS_ » 2006-10-17 07:26

Your desktop is good as flying. I hope someday such an opportunity to fly :D
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.
_FOCUS_

Re: sceenshots

Postby al3xanr0 » 2006-12-04 17:17

glidermike wrote:I find that friends come over and see my running desktop, get curious and sit in the drivers seat and start 'messin around, soon they are hooked!

It is so funny that you make mention of how influential a simple screen shot can be. Seeing was was believing for me in 2002 and needless to say I have been hooked since. My only regret is that I didn't try Debian first.

Regards,
| Al3xanRO | Registered User #413462 |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. -Acts 2:21
al3xanr0

Return to General Discussion