Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google drive clients for Debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
sjukfan

Google drive clients for Debian

#1 Post by sjukfan »

Still no Linux client for Google drive from Google, but there's at least two on the way.

Grive - http://www.lbreda.com/grive/
Looking at the dependencies Grive should work with Wheezy.

Insync https://www.insynchq.com/linux
Looks like the Gnome and KDE clients should work, but the xfce one depends on thunarx-python that isn't in the Debian repository yet. The generic installer works¹ under Xfce but depends on Nautilus.
The portable insync client is less flashy but works independently of the DE and also works fine² on Squeeze. (There's no libappindicator in Squeeze but it seems to work fine without it.

¹ Only did a quick testrun in a virtual machine.
² I had to restart it once.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

Idaho Dan

Re: Google drive clients for Debian

#2 Post by Idaho Dan »

I was just wondering about that today at work!
I was using Ubuntu One, so I was thinking about a replacement.

Thanks, Dan.

jheaton5

#3 Post by jheaton5 »

Hmm. Google drive works in Google Chrome on debian. I use it all the time. If you don't want to use Chrome, use dropbox for your cloud storage.
debian sid

traveler

#4 Post by traveler »

I went ahead and setup an account with MEGA. It's the only reason I installed chromium-browser, btw.
https://mega.co.nz
50 GB free storage.
10 times the storage as google drive iirc...
I wish for a conjugal visit and world peace. (Don't want to seem selfish.)

jheaton5

#5 Post by jheaton5 »

Well I bought a Chromebook for Christmas so I got 100gb free with Google Drive.
debian sid

traveler

#6 Post by traveler »

jheaton5 wrote:Well I bought a Chromebook for Christmas so I got 100gb free with Google Drive.
That's notsobad. But the rest of us schlubs can only get 5GB for free. How do you like the new toy?

jheaton5

#7 Post by jheaton5 »

I like the hardware really well. I'm not so sure about the Chrome OS and the cloud based everything. If you don't have a wireless connection you just have a cute toy. I may look at installing debian sid on it soon.
debian sid

nadir

#8 Post by nadir »

As much GB of the cloud as you want:
saywhat?

Kidding aside 50 Gigs seems like a lot.
Can one upload huge files ? minus.com had it, then removed it.

To get it all shut down and short after that answer with a simple "to hell with you" is cool. I got my data all over the net, so a further account won't hurt. I heard a speech by the King, and i liked it a lot. I think folks in i2p said it would not be "secure" (a) assuming i understood it correct and b) they say a lot).

gnunet. I wish i would understand that. The man behind the scenes, Grothof (?), is good (the speeches i know).

You can get one of us. You can't get all of us.
Or so.

Was that on topic? In line with the forum goals, whatever they are, and the ideas of it's owners, whoever they are? I am not sure. It's all behind the veil, as dark as source code can be (once it's owned).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

sjukfan

#9 Post by sjukfan »

I mostly see Google drive, Dropbox, et al. as convenient places to put backup files off site. If you're running your own web server owncloud is a much cooler solution. Too bad mirall, the owncloud sync client, isn't in the Debian repository yet.
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

nadir

#10 Post by nadir »

Yes, i agree. It's a convenient and useful place to store backups, data, sharing-files.
What i really need is being able to upload big files (iso of distribution size), and often (hence it must work "fast" too, slow would be 4 hours and more).

Just in case anyone is wondering: "gpg -c filename" is a quick way to encrypt (gpg -d filename.gpg > filename //is the other way around).
"I am not fine with it, so there is nothing for me to do but stand aside." M.D.

traveler

#11 Post by traveler »

nadir wrote:Yes, i agree. It's a convenient and useful place to store backups, data, sharing-files.
What i really need is being able to upload big files (iso of distribution size), and often (hence it must work "fast" too, slow would be 4 hours and more).

Just in case anyone is wondering: "gpg -c filename" is a quick way to encrypt (gpg -d filename.gpg > filename //is the other way around).
You can upload anything you want to mega, and share it, too. I haven't setup any shares, but it definitely has the capability. Having off-site storage is a big deal for me- there's no way I could replace all my digital family photos in the event of natural disaster, fire, etc. It would probably be wise to rip a bunch of DVD's and use a safety deposit box and/or store them at a friend's house as an additional failsafe.

Infected

#12 Post by Infected »

I had heard that Google was planning on creating a native Google Drive application for Linux with integration for several File Managers (unfortunately i don't have a link to back it up), but haven't heard anything since. Does Mega have an application for Debian yet, or an alternative?

traveler

#13 Post by traveler »

Infected wrote:I had heard that Google was planning on creating a native Google Drive application for Linux with integration for several File Managers (unfortunately i don't have a link to back it up), but haven't heard anything since. Does Mega have an application for Debian yet, or an alternative?
It'd be cool to be able to use it with the cli, but haven't seen any news on that front. I imagine it would be possible to write a thunar custom action to upload files directly. As for other file managers, I'm not sure how it would work. I've been using thunar exclusively for years and haven't paid attention to development with others.
MEGA works best with Chrome (chromium-browser package) but just about any moderm browser will work. With Chrome, it supports folder uploads- in other browsers you have to create the folders on the cloud drive and then upload the individual files. They have a list of supported browser on their about page.

shiva

#14 Post by shiva »

I use Wuala, Box and Ubuntu One as cloud storage in Debian.
Wuala have nice little client is written in Java and it works perfect for me. Also what is important offers client side encryption and every file that you send to the cloud is encrypted on your machine before its send to the cloud. Also it is stored on cloud in encrypted form so not even ppl that work for the company, Wuala, knows what is in your folders and files that you upload to the cloud.

I also have a Mega account but I cant find a suitable client for Mega, beside a web browser as client.

Also in company I have a cloud on Megacloud.it :)

P.S. I have tried InSync and it works nice just one problem is that still does not support Thunar at least not on debian thunarx-python package missing.
Debian Sid, custom 3.9 kernel, xfce 4.10, Mate
Arch Linux running 3.10-rc4 kernel Xfce 4.10, openbox
Gentoo Linux running 3.10-rc4 custom Xfce 4.10

acewiza

#15 Post by acewiza »

jheaton5 wrote:Hmm. Google drive works in Google Chrome on debian. I use it all the time. If you don't want to use Chrome, use dropbox for your cloud storage.
Digging up an old thread in the search for a wheezy-compatible g-drive client...

The issue for people using the cloud for more sophisticated fileage is synchronization. From the Grive page:
Currently as of version 0.2.0, grive can do two-side synchronization between the Google Drive and local directory.
Sure, google drive is accessible via chrome. Or Safari, or Opera, or gawd forbid, IE. The thing alot of people like me using mutiple PCs from more than one or 2 locations is reliable synchronization.

I'll be giving Grive a whirl soon and maybe report back with any findings if called for...
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

sjukfan

#16 Post by sjukfan »

There's also a fuse-google-drive but it seems like the development of it has been kind of on a break since last year.

And if I didn't dream that Google are finally developing a native google drive app for Linux.
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

gradinaruvasile

#17 Post by gradinaruvasile »

I use google-drive-ocamlfuse:

https://github.com/astrada/google-drive-ocamlfuse

Its a bit finicky to install because it is written in ocaml and some ocaml libraries have to be compiled (gapi-ocaml, Fuse) and one of them (Fuse) has to be modified (it has a missing META file and that has to be created then the lib has to be installed manually via ocamlfind install).

But after that it works well. It mounts the Google Drive via fuse (accesible in the sidebar in any fuse-aware file manager) and keeps stuff in sync. It even downloads the Google Doc format documents, converted to free formats.

I also used Grive, but that requires interaction (on-demand sync only, via command line). And it doesnt download documents created in Docs.

fabrixx

#18 Post by fabrixx »

With Debian you can also use deb.

I writed an article:

http://www.osside.net/?p=13628