Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Just installed 3.1!!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
dan

Just installed 3.1!!

#1 Post by dan »

Just to say that I've just installed Debian 3.1 (net-install with testing for the repositories) and it works like a charm and very fast, I'm very impressed!!

Congrats everyone on the best rock-solid distribution for Linux!

jobezone

Re: Just installed 3.1!!

#2 Post by jobezone »

dan wrote:Just to say that I've just installed Debian 3.1 (net-install with testing for the repositories) and it works like a charm and very fast, I'm very impressed!!

Congrats everyone on the best rock-solid distribution for Linux!
Ey, me too! Very well done...

drdebian

#3 Post by drdebian »

Debian Sarge is really a big step forward. The new installer really helps to get Debian installed even on the weirdest of hardware, because there's no GUI that needs to run.

David Gypsy

#4 Post by David Gypsy »

Hello

After trying just about every distro I could get my hands on I finally installed Debian. After initially having a hard time with the graphics I got it right on the third go, and so far I am very impressed! It has a solid reliable feel to it that is hard to match. Also just about everything I need is on the two DVD's that I got, so no more spending hours downloading on my dial up!! :D

I have been using Ubuntu for about three months now as my main OS for work and pleasure, but I think this might be about to change.

Keep up the good work Debian! :D

#5 Post by Guest »

Wow! After my desktop system upgraded to 3.1 it went so smooth I ran to upgrade my server. Again, flawless. My daughter was having Win98 hell with blue screens and other lockups and she said "Can I have Linux?" I was so proud! I partitioned her machine for dual boot, ran the net install for Debian and she hasn't booted into that other OS yet. In fact she hasn't rebooted since the install (~ 3 weeks now) which is a new concept for her. She does AIM, email, homework, music CDs, and web surfing, so once I got gaim, oo.org, moz, and k3b configured she is all set. Took a couple of dpkg -reconfigure xserver-free86's to get the LCD and mouse right but other than that it all worked right out of the box. Very nice.

inconnu

#6 Post by inconnu »

Debian 3.1 is fantastic! I love it; I can't imagine using windoze after experiencing it.

Installation is pretty easy with this installer. Sure, it takes a little configuration afterwards to get everything right, but it's well worth it ...

I find it very hard not to start babbling enthusiastically about this distro several times a day!
Debian GNU/Linux 3.1

jpkirchner

#7 Post by jpkirchner »

I just installed 3.1 Sarge also. I am relatively new to Linux and have tried a few distributions (Slackware, Vector, Fedora Core 4 ) and decided to try Debian. Something kept nagging at me :) that I should give it a go and am I ever pleased that I did!

The install was easy and painless. I have done some post install configuration and have had no real issues yet.

I am truly pleased and I believe Debian will be on this ol' box from now on.