Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Secure and anonymous browsers recommendations

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
FinnJoye

Secure and anonymous browsers recommendations

#1 Post by FinnJoye »

Hi there,

I'm new user and looking for some secure and anonymous browsers options, i have seen this article in while Googling it "best secure browser " and found this link https://www.beencrypted.com/5-best-secure-browsers/ but this article recommending VPN connection instead of using secure browser.

I'm little confused about it, do you think its a good Idea? I have also done some research and found that Secure browsers like Tor and other are secure because the are using VPN functionality. so that the only my concerned

Regards

kopper

Re: Secure and anonymous browsers recommendations

#2 Post by kopper »

As for "anonymous browser", your best bet is Tor, Zeronet, etc. I'm not really sure what you are looking here. There are several technical and practical things you can do to enhance your privacy, although there is no technical solution for giving your information to services yourself. Also, there is no general-purpose anonymity in any form when it comes to Internet. If there was, everyone would probably be using it. Unfortunately, Internet pretty much relies on the fact that it knows where to send the packets and usually someone owns the hardware in the destination.

VPN does not make your browser secure or anonymous. Rather it tunnels your traffic to VPN server where it exits. It won't make you invulnerable to online exploits or malware. Also, the fact is that VPN server owner can still identify traffic source. You can't replace browser with VPN or vice versa, and they're totally different tools for different purposes. Neither is Tor anything like VPN or "secure browser". Incidently, Tor uses Tor Browser to access the network, but the magic is not really in the "browser technology" itself (at least most part of it).

Best practice for any casual use, use VPN to tunnel traffic to trusted network when using untrusted networks and use patched browser with security add-ons. And pay attention what you do online. I suggest you reform your question or provide a case which you're looking guidance for. Or spend a moment to read about VPN, Tor and browser security. It might help you to define your "research question" more clearly.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

FinnJoye

#3 Post by FinnJoye »

That was quite detailed answer, well there are few more things coming up in mind. Is Tor browser using VPN Encryption tunneling or just proxy or DNS based tunneling. Also if VPN provider can reveal your logs then why you recommending it to use for VPN tunneling. I have heard there are many related news shuffling around about this same issue. where provider leaked or share information to other authorities. Then how do i evaluate the provider before getting one? or how do i my own VPN setup so body involve in my logs.

Is that possible?

kopper

#4 Post by kopper »

FinnJoye wrote: Is Tor browser using...
I'm sure there is some kind of service which allows you to type in questions and you get links to pages with answers.
FinnJoye wrote:Also if VPN provider can reveal your logs then why you recommending it to use for VPN tunneling.
FinnJoye wrote:or how do i my own VPN setup so body involve in my logs.
To protect traffic and end-points in non-trusted network. You don't have to rely on provider as you can have your own VPN server (see below). Reason to recommend it is that many normal users can't or are not willing to host their own server. OpenVPN is one commonly used solution. Again, try your favorite search engine.
FinnJoye wrote: Then how do i evaluate the provider before getting one?
Read what they tell you. Read what others tell about them. Call them. Visit their site. In the end, it's a third party and you have to make a decision to trust them. If you're willing to do so, the only question is how much assurance you need to believe them.

This topic should be under Off-topic or General Discussion.
Debian 10.2 Stable with i3
Secure your stuff: Securing Debian Manual
Don't break your stuff: Source List Management DontBreakDebian

fmp

#5 Post by fmp »

FinnJoye wrote:Googling
if you're concerned about being anonymous online, drop google like a hot potato.

you can route yourself through 5 layers of vpn's and proxies, but the moment you forget to clear your cookies or login to a google service, your anonymity goes away and you're now identifiable.

the first step to anonymity is understanding what companies do to track you on the web.
https://www.privacytools.io/ is a good starting point.

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

fmp wrote:https://www.privacytools.io/ is a good starting point.
Great link. Thanks.

bw123

#7 Post by bw123 »

fmp wrote: the first step to anonymity is understanding what companies do to track you on the web.
https://www.privacytools.io/ is a good starting point.
https://www.privacytools.io/#about_config
dom.battery.enabled = false
Website owners can track the battery status of your device.
That is far out!

I have adjusted my strategy, here's my new default firefox-esr.js
http://paste.debian.net/997563/
resigned by AI ChatGPT