Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What kernel do you use

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Capitain_Jack

Re: What kernel do you use

#181 Post by Capitain_Jack »

I've been playing arround with Liquorix Kernel, and you guys, what have been using now days? Stock? Own Kernel?

https://liquorix.net/
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#182 Post by steve_v »

The one that comes from the Debian repos. Whatever version that is at the moment. Works for me.

I used to compile my own kernels, back in 1999 or so. Now that you're unlikely to find a machine with so little RAM that a custom kernel is needed, why bother with the added effort?
I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the stock kernel, and the supposed "optimisations" in e.g. the Liquorix build don't make any noticeable difference, at least as far as I can tell.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Capitain_Jack

#183 Post by Capitain_Jack »

steve_v wrote:The one that comes from the Debian repos. Whatever version that is at the moment. Works for me.

I used to compile my own kernels, back in 1999 or so. Now that you're unlikely to find a machine with so little RAM that a custom kernel is needed, why bother with the added effort?
I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the stock kernel, and the supposed "optimisations" in e.g. the Liquorix build don't make any noticeable difference, at least as far as I can tell.
Do you play games or make multimedia edition at this machine? For me it made difference on that.
Albert Einstein
"All wrong-doing arises because of mind. If mind is transformed can wrong-doing remain?"
Buddha

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#184 Post by steve_v »

Capitain_Jack wrote: Do you play games or make multimedia edition at this machine? For me it made difference on that.
If by "make multimedia edition" you mean video editing, then no. But I play plenty of games.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Capitain_Jack

#185 Post by Capitain_Jack »

steve_v wrote: If by "make multimedia edition" you mean video editing, then no. But I play plenty of games.
Multimedia means all media types, video, image and audio.
Albert Einstein
Buddha

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#186 Post by steve_v »

Capitain_Jack wrote:Multimedia means all media types, video, image and audio.
Okay then, I play videos, occasionally edit audio (less of the playing, as I have an MPD server elsewhere), and edit images every now and then.
I even installed the Liquorix kernel yesterday to see if anything had changed... And I still see no difference.
No subjective "feels" that seem to be all the rage here, and no measurable performance difference in 3 games + Blender (Blenchmark). Identical framerates.
Dunno man, The Debian kernel seems just fine to me.

Head_on_a_Stick

#187 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Code: Select all

empty@Puffy:~ $ uname -a
OpenBSD Puffy.lan 6.2 GENERIC.MP#298 amd64
empty@Puffy:~ $
Works better on this ThinkPad X201 than any Linux kernel I've ever tried :mrgreen:
deadbang

Capitain_Jack

#188 Post by Capitain_Jack »

steve_v wrote:
Capitain_Jack wrote:Multimedia means all media types, video, image and audio.
Okay then, I play videos, occasionally edit audio (less of the playing, as I have an MPD server elsewhere), and edit images every now and then.
I even installed the Liquorix kernel yesterday to see if anything had changed... And I still see no difference.
No subjective "feels" that seem to be all the rage here, and no measurable performance difference in 3 games + Blender (Blenchmark). Identical framerates.
Dunno man, The Debian kernel seems just fine to me.
Do a video render test, it is where I see most difference. Also when creating music with Reason 5 (trough wine) or any other hard professional audio recording/editing software.

This is a more comprehensive text talking about the differences:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... TimeKernel

Also here for detail into real time computing:
"...Real-time computing is sometimes misunderstood to be high-performance computing, but this is not an accurate classification....Therefore, the most important requirement of a real-time system is predictability and not performance..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_computing
Albert Einstein
Buddha

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#189 Post by steve_v »

Capitain_Jack wrote:This is a more comprehensive text talking about the differences:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... TimeKernel

Also here for detail into real time computing:
"...Real-time computing is sometimes misunderstood to be high-performance computing, but this is not an accurate classification....Therefore, the most important requirement of a real-time system is predictability and not performance..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_computing
Liquorix is not a real time kernel, so what does this have to do with anything?

Capitain_Jack

#190 Post by Capitain_Jack »

steve_v wrote: Liquorix is not a real time kernel, so what does this have to do with anything?
Ok, I see you need to see "the insides" to understand fully, take a read here:
https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2499.html
Albert Einstein
Buddha

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#191 Post by steve_v »

Capitain_Jack wrote:Ok, I see you need to see "the insides" to understand fully, take a read here
Nope, still no mention of realtime patches there. Yes, Liquorix tweaks the scheduler, but it's not a realtime kernel.
As for "insides", I'll take real patch notes over a random techpatterns forum post anyday, much less the links to reddit. :roll:

Believe it or not, I have a fairly good idea what the patches Liquorix includes do. I've patched, tweaked, and mucked about with custom kernels plenty in the past.
Now I don't bother, because the Debian build is just fine for desktop use. If I was doing pro-audio work where predictable latency is critical, I might use the realtime patches.
If I could detect a performance gain from the Liquorix patches with any workload I care about, I'd use that too.

Capitain_Jack

#192 Post by Capitain_Jack »

steve_v wrote:Nope, still no mention of realtime patches there.
I never said it is a real time kernel, but here the part of the text where he mention it's aiming a real time sytem:
Enables NOCB for all CPUs, increasing RCU overhead
Per the options in the kernel configuration, this increases overhead but reduces OS jitter and is more appropriate for a real-time system (what we're aiming for here, a better experience).
https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2499.html
steve_v wrote: If I was doing pro-audio work where predictable latency is critical, I might use the realtime patches.
If I could detect a performance gain from the Liquorix patches with any workload I care about, I'd use that too.
That's why I use it. This is a good discussion, we should and could open a new post, what do you say? have more or less the same conversation? Would you start this one? :D
Albert Einstein
Buddha

anticapitalista

#193 Post by anticapitalista »

uname -a
Linux antix1 4.14.8-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 20 15:19:11 EET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Capitain_Jack

#194 Post by Capitain_Jack »

anticapitalista wrote:

uname -a
Linux antix1 4.14.8-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 20 15:19:11 EET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

That's a good one for old hardware, keeps it updated and very very light one.
Albert Einstein
Buddha

Bulkley

#195 Post by Bulkley »

What is important to me is that I always have at least two kernels installed and that they have proven to work. What we frequently see here on the forum is someone posting that they did an upgrade and it replaced the kernel and the new one is causing troubles and there is no fallback. Or there is some other problem and someone says try another kernel but there isn't one. With two kernels in situ it makes for an easy test when troubleshooting.

Head_on_a_Stick

#196 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Bulkley wrote:I always have at least two kernels installed and that they have proven to work
Good advice :)

Debian keeps the last installed kernel anyway and maintains symlinks to the root directory as /vmlinuz.old & /initrd.img.old and these can be booted from in an emergency, I think the auto-generated GRUB menu even has entries for them.
deadbang

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#197 Post by steve_v »

Yup, it does indeed.
I have the the installer image and Partedmagic in /boot/images as well, since I so thoroughly dislike unbootable systems. Never actually had a bad kernel from the Debian repos mind, force of habit from less reliable distros.

Capitain_Jack

#198 Post by Capitain_Jack »

Bulkley wrote:always have at least two kernels installed and that they have proven to work... With two kernels in situ it makes for an easy test when troubleshooting.
That's for sure, no matter witch kernel you use, it should be a rule. I think more than two of the same is exaggerated, to clarify that you can have more than one kernel installed with no major problem other than more update time.
Albert Einstein
Buddha

anticapitalista

#199 Post by anticapitalista »

uname -a
Linux antix1 4.14.9-antix.1-amd64-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Dec 25 20:53:07 EET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
antiX with runit - lean and mean.
https://antixlinux.com

Head_on_a_Stick

#200 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

~ $ uname -a                                                                                               
Linux Xanadu 4.14.9-1-zen #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Tue Dec 26 00:19:11 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux
~ $
deadbang