Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

#1341 Post by None1975 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:OpenBSD-current running dwm, xterm, ksh & neofetch
I'm always happy to see your screen shots. Oh, how I would like to use openbsd, but I can not, because my nvidia card is not supported.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

ruffwoof

#1342 Post by ruffwoof »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Here's the [OpenBSD] ~/.xinitrc:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
xset s 300 # screensaver
while sleep 1; do xsetroot -name "$(uptime|awk '{gsub(",","");print $9}')  •  $(apm|awk '/Battery/{print $4}')  •  $(date +'%F  •  %T')"; done &
sh ~/.fehbg # wallpaper
exec dwm

xsetroot -bg \#121212 -mod 3 3
Is a nice effect, dark boxy

I also set audiomixer boost on

# .xinitrc
xsetroot -bg \#121212 -mod 3 3
mixerctl outputs.hp_boost=on &
xclock -digital -strftime "%H:%M %a %d %b" -fn "-b&h-lucida-bold-r-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" -geometry 228x28+10+0 -padding 0 -fg "#FFFFFF" -bg black -hd "#92FF92" -hl SteelBlue4 &
xload -nolabel -fg green -bg black -hl red -geometry 60x24+1380+0 &
exec cwm

# .cwmrc
# 
gap 24 0 0 0
ignore xclock
ignore xload

color inactiveborder Black
color activeborder "#494949" # DarkGray
color groupborder "#01a252"
color urgencyborder "#3d9751"
color selfont "#0034A9"
color font "#FFFFFF"
color menufg "#49F6F6"
color menubg "#333333"
fontname "DejaVu Sans:size=11:antialias=true"
bind-key CM-comma "mixerctl outputs.master=-5"
bind-key CM-period "mixerctl outputs.master=+5"

command "   " "true"
command " firefox-esr " "firefox-esr"
command " xterm " "/usr/bin/env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -fa DejaVu:size=11"
command " xcalc " "xcalc"
command " xedit " "xedit"
command "  " "true"
#command " Quit cwm " "xdotool key Control_L+alt+shift+q"
#command " Restart cwm " "xdotool key Control_L+shift+alt+r"
# Show cpu temperatures
#/sbin/sysctl hw.sensors | grep temp | sed 's/hw.sensors.//' | /usr/X11R6/bin/xmessage -nearmouse -file -"
#command " CPU temp " "/home/user/.cpu-temp"
command " top " "xterm -e top"
command " Reboot " "xterm -e su - root -c 'shutdown -r now'"
command " Shutdown " "xterm -e su - root -c 'shutdown -p now'"
command "    " "true"
Neat 'trick' to get all sound sources merged ...
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq13.html#recordmon
so for instance if you're recording the desktop then the recording will also record you mic and any videos/youtubes that you might be playing at the time.

I just love OpenBSD's sndio/OSS quality levels (and relative simplicity).

jibberjabber

#1343 Post by jibberjabber »

This is OpenBsd, with openbox WM

ruffwoof

#1344 Post by ruffwoof »

OpenBSD base + firefox-esr + ddclient (for dynamic dns to point fixed domain name to desktop PC's httpd server). Running cwm.

Screenshot created using xwd, converted to png using online image converter.

Firefox used to play videos, listen to radio stations, online calendar and email. Google docs uses for spreadsheets. xedit used to create html documents, firefox used to display the html files created using xedit and print to PDF.

pawRoot

#1345 Post by pawRoot »

^I never understood how can you people use those 90's looking desktops, it just looks terrible.

Nili

#1346 Post by Nili »

pawRoot wrote:^I never understood how can you people use those 90's looking desktops, it just looks terrible.
It is understandable, to me atleast, some like Raw & Dirty Linux / Unix style. Some others like Windows or MAC imitation. A matter of preferences as usual.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

ruffwoof

#1347 Post by ruffwoof »

pawRoot wrote:^I never understood how can you people use those 90's looking desktops, it just looks terrible.
Spend little time looking at the desktop. Mostly launching programs via the key code and the first 2 or 3 characters of the program name fir ... for firefox for instance. Thereafter the cwm window manager is invisible, no window title, no window buttons ...etc. Mostly full screen per program, alt-tab between them. Less tendency to use xcalc or xedit myself as well, bc and vi instead. If you prefer more graphical switching, just install skippy-xd.

Fully security audited system that includes a more secure version of X (and httpd ...etc.). Only other program being firefox ... which is constantly under security review. Base + 50 libs (non base). Relatively few cases of potential bugs (where any single bug could open up a security vulnerability).

So more a case of what the programs look like (decorations). You can of course always load a pretty wallpaper as your desktop.

debiman

#1348 Post by debiman »

ruffwoof, what about the fonts?
can these be made to look as nice as, say, on ubuntu, with OpenBSD?

Head_on_a_Stick

#1349 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

debiman wrote:what about the fonts?
Yes, OpenBSD-current uses a recent fontconfig (and freetype) version, I use the same fonts.conf in both Debian & OpenBSD (with Win10 fonts) and they both look the same.

I'll edit this with a scrot later.

EDIT:

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2018-07-07 14:19, edited 2 times in total.
deadbang

ruffwoof

#1350 Post by ruffwoof »

debiman wrote:ruffwoof, what about the fonts?

Wasn't until after I'd uploaded the above image that I noticed the screen grab command didn't get recorded, hence the black square box. That aside the default fonts in OpenBSD are reasonable/good. I just use the 9MB installation ramdisk image to install OBSD and pretty much leave the default (secure) config as-is, other than pulling in my own .Xdefaults, .xinitrc and .cwmrc config files. I haven't used Ubuntu, so can't say what the comparison might be like, things like Ubuntu upgrade causing some PC's to be bricked (or requiring firmware re-installation) has kept me away from ever desiring to try it out.

Edit: Head_on_a_Stick posted as I was typing up my post. Whilst Head_on_a_Stick is tracking --current I personally track --release. I don't compile anything, just use pkg_add (similar to apt-get), for updates I use M:tier's openup (similar to running apt-get update). Installation takes around 5 minutes (at boot prompt boot a bsd.rd i.e. ramdisk file) and mostly just pressing Enter. That's to bare metal (full PC/HDD installation). New release every 6 months. Whilst I could use the Upgrade option (takes around the same amount of time), personally I reinstall freshly as I keep my data files outside of the OBSD system files (on another OBSD headless box that we use as a family server). I do also activate the inbuild httpd web server and associate that to a dynamic dns domain name, so I can be 'called' by others from anywhere. httpd is a cut down apache like web server, easy to set up/use (and secure).

ruffwoof

#1351 Post by ruffwoof »

I did try iridium the other day, a chromium like alternative to firefox. Liked it a lot functionally and it seems to run googledocs (spreadsheets etc.) very quickly, other than the initial loading/starting about as quick as running libre scalc locally. The downside for me is that I've used firefox longer term so familiarity and choice of plugins/extensions are all 'easy' whereas with iridium I struggled (unfamiliarity). Another benefit of iridium is that it is Pledged I believe, so more secure (Pledge is OpenBSD's method of monitoring that programs stay within the boundaries of what they're expected to do/use). OBSD also comes with a nightly security check of things, i.e. potential intrusion detection. I do add to that a mtree scan of all bin, sbin, lib, etc ... etc files so any changes result in a checksum mismatch (additional intrusion detection such as if a trojan is piggy-backed on top of a lib).

Nili

#1352 Post by Nili »

As usual: Openbox with help of Blocks theme by addy-dclxvi | Tint2 | Conky | Compton | URxvt

♫♪ Elisa playing...

Wheelerof4te

#1353 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Top quality Openbox rice there. I like both the theme and wallpaper. Please keep it for a while, it looks so good :)
I am also surprised to see those good-looking fonts. Usually, when I think of WMs, I think of bad font rendering.

debiman

#1354 Post by debiman »

thanks ruffwoof and HoaS; the freetype fonts in the screenshots look just as good as on my system!

Nili

#1355 Post by Nili »

Wheelerof4te wrote:^Top quality Openbox rice there. I like both the theme and wallpaper. Please keep it for a while, it looks so good :)
I am also surprised to see those good-looking fonts. Usually, when I think of WMs, I think of bad font rendering.
Thanks mate! Thanks goes to addy-dclxvi aswell, he made it all possible. Background i found on unsplash.com somewhere on the Asian tag. I usually change them often. I don't have much work with configs, but i am keeping a bit this recently.

Regarding font, Iosevka is very good one for both GTK/CLI.
I've been holding it for a while this font, I'm not goin change very soon.

Thanks again!
Regards!

♫♪ Elisa playing...

Linadian

#1356 Post by Linadian »

Dear admin, feel free to delete this post.
Last edited by Linadian on 2018-07-19 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Registered User 533946

ruffwoof

#1357 Post by ruffwoof »

Seeing this observation by Theo de Raadt, I've been persisting with Iridium and its starting to become all second nature for me now, and I like it, a lot.

https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872551609819&w=2

OpenBSD + iridium "desktop" (only other installed package is ddclient so the web server's (PC) dynamic IP is associated with a fixed domain name).

I've also started using tmux more now and have my cwm gap at the top of page (that can be left/right mouse clicked to show windows/programs) showing xclock (date and time), along with xload in colours that compare to the tmux bottom of screen panel. Like how you can use tmux for collaborating https://youtu.be/norO25P7xHg and how it enables you to log in, start things off and disconnect (detatch) and return again later and reattach from any ssh supporting device (phone) back into the exact same session again.

Captured the screenshots using xwd and used a online image converter to make them .jpg.

HuangLao

#1359 Post by HuangLao »

Salix/Slackware 14.2 with Xfce
Arc-OSX, theme
Papirus-Dark icons
Wallpaper borrowed from Xubuntu liveCD :)
http://i.imgur.com/ymASFfH.png

jezzivi

#1360 Post by jezzivi »

Septor 2018
Debian - KDE Plasma - Tor