Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Google’s FLoC Is a Terrible Idea

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Google’s FLoC Is a Terrible Idea

#1 Post by Hallvor »

Interesting article by EFF:
The third-party cookie is dying, and Google is trying to create its replacement. [...] think of it this way: your FLoC ID will be like a succinct summary of your recent activity on the Web.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/03/g ... rible-idea
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

Re: Google’s FLoC Is a Terrible Idea

#2 Post by Bloom »

FLoC is a very good idea... for Google!

The solution is simple: don't use Chrome.
Only use Chromium or Firefox. Both are in the standard Debian repos. And both are open source and free.
Add these security extensions:
  • uBlock Origin
  • Privacy Badger
  • Cookie AutoDelete
  • I Don't Care About Cookies
  • ScriptSafe
And you're as safe as you can be without resorting to unworkable systems.
uBlock Origin: blocks all ads, without being paid to let certain domains through
Privacy Badger: blocks all tracking, also without accepting bribes to let certain domains through
Cookie AutoDelete: delete all cookies created by a site when you close the tab (normal only when you close the browser)
I Don't Care About Cookies: answers 'Yes' on any cookiewall question. Most of the time, you can only see the site if you agree to accept their cookies. So we accept all cookies, but delete them as soon as we're done with the site with the previous add-on or extension.
ScriptSafe: blocks all JavaScript. You can enable it domain per domain until the site works satisfactory. This extension is the most work for the user. So if you're a novice, perhaps don't use this one.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

When we get a new device what is our unique identifier?

When we are fingerprinted, what finger? I've used all twenty over the years, yes toes.

When we take to the skies and we are required to use a transponder. Does anyone have a transponder that can answer according to who's asking? Like a thread here a few years ago that wanted to disable a cars gadget so they were anonymous, without realizing that they stick out like a sore thumb.

Obfuscation is the game. Instead of worrying about the info we give up, give up lots of info, too much.

I've had lots of ways to test and observe these things over the years. For a long time it's been particular devices only beyond this point. At point A, and B, and C, I am the same person while my electronic signature has changed. Can the tracking figure that out - yes.

The sad answer is indeed yes. We can track a walkie talkie. Some think the phone has a gps and talks back to the trackers in order to be tracked. The truth is the modern device tells where and what so it doesn't need to be tracked.

The myth is 'they' know more about us than we do. Yes, MYTH. They actually have a large bundle of assumptions of which some are right, more than half is wrong. Cold calls get results a small percentage of the time. That's really how all this works, 'actionable' data is a tiny fraction.

A decade ago I read a white paper from the goog detailing these factors and claimed ~30% accurate-actionable data. So this is just the expansion of the idea that it really doesn't work very well. Ads waste more than we think, the way it's always been.

The answer has never changed. We can't hide. We need to learn to LIE.
I haven't used a single plugin in ESR for the last 6 years. I use disposables.

dice

#4 Post by dice »

I can see a new category forming within Ublock origin.

Code: Select all

Ublock FLoC Badware risks - filters 1,440 used out of 1,441 

Bulkley

#5 Post by Bulkley »

CwF wrote:The answer has never changed. We can't hide. We need to learn to LIE.
Fascinating post. Would you care to detail how to do that?
I haven't used a single plugin in ESR for the last 6 years. I use disposables.
What's an ESR? A search produced multiple results including blood tests.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

Bulkley wrote: LIE..... Would you care to detail how to do that?
Not really.
I have heard of a plugin that clicks ads in the background, on EVERYTHING, to simply overwhelm the BS.
...things like that.
Details like hints you should make up. None of that should ever be real. Your records should indicate you attended 624 grade schools, have 17 maiden names, 62 favorite pets, etc. If you track the misinformation, the future day you see an odd reference you know where it came from, and whom to shoot.
Overall, being a roamer with different machines I access (nothing on me) I have found that the correlations do not necessarily come from your device. That's bad news. With so many sources of info, often things are deduced and not simply read from a cookie.
Bulkley wrote: What's an ESR? A search produced multiple results including blood tests.
sorry, Firefox-esr. I'm basic, only the standard repository version without anything. I don't chase it.
I do however get blood test more than average...

ticojohn

#7 Post by ticojohn »

Not only is Google's FLoC a terrible ides, but using Google is a BAD idea. I avoid using Google with few exceptions. But using any search engine has it's risk. Google always chokes whenever I try to use the VPN. At least I connect to Bing using a VPN.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

Thanks, CwF. My problem is I hate ads and popups and other distractions. Anything I can do to block them helps. Unfortunately, the blocks slow down browsers.

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

ticojohn wrote:Not only is Google's FLoC a terrible ides, but using Google is a BAD idea. I avoid using Google with few exceptions. But using any search engine has it's risk.
Agreed. I search Google with Startpage or Bing with Onesearch.
Google always chokes whenever I try to use the VPN.
I was getting email blocks from friends who use gmail. An update of my VPN's client cured that.