Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux not good, caca!!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Linux not good, caca!!

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,

Yesterday I lost whole system and home when I accidentally wiped wrong dev..

I used.: sswap -fvl /dev/sdaX (wrong number partition)... I was kind of tired and used an not swap partition; in my mind I believed that If it wasnt a swap partition , command tool would warned me or refuse to proceed.. but suddenly I found myself wiping everything and losing everything.. :?

As i said, linux not good, caca!!! :evil:

by the way, is there any way to protect partitions with some kind of chattr flag that prevent these format tools to operate as long as they have that flag?.. that would be great.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

Re: Linux not good, caca!!

#2 Post by bester69 »

- 3 hours. Download System backup from cloud and restore
- 2-3 hours . Rertores kmail installation (some issues found it)
- 3 hours . Restore home, update system and set alls scripts and everything working as before
- 2 hours. Restoreing all browsers, installing addons and configurations
- 3 hours . Installing from zero all snaps/flatpaks and configurations
- 2 hours - checking all scripts crontab backups working well as before, and snapper snapshots subvolume configurations.
- 2 hours - Restoring all PLayonlinux applications

It took me like 16 hours to restore , I must buy an external disk and use dd. :? :? :(
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

dice

#3 Post by dice »

and the matrix pulled you back in again!

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

Sounds like a really BAD DAY!
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Peter Parker's Uncle Ben gave him some good advice before he died...
MX Linux packager and developer

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by wizard10000 »

"It is not Unix's job to keep you from shooting yourself in the foot. If you should choose to do so, it is Unix's job to deliver Mr. Bullet to Mr. Foot in the most efficient way it knows."

--- Terry Lambert
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

bester69

#7 Post by bester69 »

:shock: :? :|

millpond

#8 Post by millpond »

Though possibly a bit late at this point, be aware that there are partition recovery programs out there. Even some that are designed to work linux.

I have, at least for NTFS recovered a complete file system after being accidentally repartitoned. But you need to do it before any data is written to it. Afterwards you are stuck with partition data recovery with file damage, and loss of directory structures.

However, I found out the hard way that accidental partitioning to a different file system, even with immediate action is hopeless for restoring the partiton and directory structure. I was able to recover about 70% of my data files, though multimedia like mp4 was 90% shagged.
My keyboard went bad right in the middle of partitioning a Linux drive, and chose a NTFS drive instead, This was in Win, with a 'major' program, and also did not request confirmation.

So its not just Linux......

Absent Minded

#9 Post by Absent Minded »

bester69 wrote:- 3 hours. Download System backup from cloud and restore
- 3 hours . Restore home, update system and set alls scripts and everything working as before
- 2 hours - checking all scripts crontab backups working well as before, and snapper snapshots subvolume configurations.

It took me like 16 hours to restore , I must buy an external disk and use dd. :? :? :(
External drives are a wonderful thing. At least there was a backup:-) you are way ahead of the majority of the average computer user. Sending in an important drive for data recovery can get pretty expensive and be weeks instead of hours.
Serving the community the best way I can.
Spreading the tradition of Community Spirit.
Please read some Basic Forum Philosophy
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach him how to fish, he eats for life.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

Absent Minded

#10 Post by Absent Minded »

wizard10000 wrote:
"It is not Unix's job to keep you from shooting yourself in the foot. If you should choose to do so, it is Unix's job to deliver Mr. Bullet to Mr. Foot in the most efficient way it knows."

--- Terry Lambert
Thank you for the smile this morning I definitely needed one. Nice quote!!
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

bester69

#11 Post by bester69 »

Absent Minded wrote:
bester69 wrote:- 3 hours. Download System backup from cloud and restore

External drives are a wonderful thing. At least there was a backup:-) you are way ahead of the majority of the average computer user. Sending in an important drive for data recovery can get pretty expensive and be weeks instead of hours.
really, its funny to download a whole fsarchiver system backup from cloud, restore it and see it works without integrity files corruption.. duplicity is great pushing huge images into cloud by using cutted small parts and keeping all integrity in them.... duplicity make the harder work and rclone backend deals with cloud service channeling.

Absent Minded

#12 Post by Absent Minded »

The fact that “it just works “ is one of the many things I love about Linux, even more so with Debian. With both Microsoft’s and Apples offerings (many issues with MS) corrupt downloaded data has been a regular issue and to top it off, win puts that data in a cache that will need deleted before one can even have a chance at getting a non corrupt version.
Updated Nov. 19, 2012

VentGrey

#13 Post by VentGrey »

Indeed sounds like a bad day, good thing external drives exist and timeshift isn't painted :mrgreen:
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.