Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Anyone Use Skype?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Carlosinfl

Anyone Use Skype?

#1 Post by Carlosinfl »

I am traveling to Europe for 2 weeks and was told that I can use Skype for free until the end of the year to make calls via broadband connection and my laptop. I told my friend this sounds like a total scam but he swears it is legit. I have heard of Skype but was not aware it was free.

I see they even have a .deb package which is pretty bad ass!

Anyone care to comment if this have used this before or if I should stay away?

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

I have used skype for a while now, it's full of bugs (: but the devs are continually working on it which is nice

at least it has alsa now anyway

it's proprietary and closed source, but despite all (including bugs) it's pretty nice, and it does the job

EDIT: Forgot to give you the url, http://forum.skype.com/index.php?s=df88 ... owforum=18

http://share.skype.com/sites/linux/
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

aketus

#3 Post by aketus »

Got it going on Debian the other day, been using it for a while now, but I've only used it for instant messaging. I hear that it's good for encrypted communication

http://aptgetanarchy.org/node/72

Carlosinfl

#4 Post by Carlosinfl »

I installed their latest .deb package and made a call to my cell which worked fine. I did not have mic on my PC so the conversation was one sided but seemed to work fine.

My question is how do you upgrade when they release a new version? Do you remove the old version with the dpkg command and then install the new one or can you roll the new over the old?

Grifter

#5 Post by Grifter »

you can do both, whenever you apt-get upgrade a program in the respositories that's what happens, so yeah dpkg -i foo.newversion.deb; you can also do the same by downgrading it to a lower version, which is sometimes necessary when it comes to skype (:

Carlosinfl

#6 Post by Carlosinfl »

Skype was actually the easiest think I had even installed on Debian. Now I just need a MIC.

Grifter

#7 Post by Grifter »

finding a good mic is actually quite tricky, you'll want a headset, but one which isolates the noise from the headphones so people don't echo back to themselves thru your mic, don't buy the cheapest you can find; it's cheap for a reason

Carlosinfl

#8 Post by Carlosinfl »

Yes - I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.