Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Ubuntu printer server?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Ubuntu printer server?

#1 Post by Lavene »

Here is the deal: For the life of me I can not make my Epson Stylus C48 printer work under Etch. However, it works 'out of the box' on a standard Ubuntu Dapper (which is my 'just-in-case' backup system). I have two Etch workstations and one old box serving as a fileserver and experimental webserver, running Sarge.

So getting tired of fighting the dang printer, and printing needs mounting, I'm contemplating installing Ubuntu Dapper server on the old box (it's way too old and tired for running a full desktop) and use it as a printer server. Do any of you have any experience with the Dapper 'server edition' as a printer server?

Thanks
Tina

bluesdog

#2 Post by bluesdog »

I've setup Ubuntu server on an ancient hp-server, but not tried to configure it for printing.
Or anything, really --- the darn thing is too noisy and uses far too much electricity. It's just an archaic toy --

:wink:

Regarding your epson printer, have you tried the c-46 driver from avasys-epson? It might be worth an experiment. My epson c-88+ wouldn't work with the standard cups driver, but does with the one from avasys.
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by Lavene »

Thanks,

I didn't know about Evasys-epson. Will give it a shot...

Tina