Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Riseup mail invitation

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
esp7

Re: Riseup mail invitation

#21 Post by esp7 »

BowCatShot wrote:They seemed pretty good at first. Then they said in their application form that they believe in anti-capitalism. F**k them.

you seriously still believe in capitalism? :roll:
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

Morthawt

#22 Post by Morthawt »

Hey guys. I was recommended this thread. I'm looking to get on this riseup.net email system, thanks to an inspirational workshop I watched from Jacob Appelbaum. I would appreciate getting the two needed invites so I can get this up and running. Thanks.

golinux

#23 Post by golinux »

I recommend you don't look for handouts here. Riseup users who give invites to strangers can lose their own accounts. I doubt you'll find anyone willing to take that risk on this forum.
May the FORK be with you!

Morthawt

#24 Post by Morthawt »

All they say is you have to get an invite from two members. It does not say I need to personally know those riseup members, only that I get invite codes from them.

golinux

#25 Post by golinux »

Morthawt wrote:All they say is you have to get an invite from two members. It does not say I need to personally know those riseup members, only that I get invite codes from them.
That's because you aren't aware of the guidelines for riseup users. There is a penalty for indiscriminately giving away invites.

dasein

#26 Post by dasein »

Morthawt wrote:All they say is you have to get an invite from two members. It does not say I need to personally know those riseup members...
It says exactly that.

You aren't missing anything by not using riseup. Using email requires the ability to read.

craigevil

#27 Post by craigevil »

There is also unseen.

https://unseen.is/

Might even be more secure than riseup since it is not in good ole Amerika.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Randicus

#28 Post by Randicus »

unseen is a good name for it. I cannot access the site, so it is definitely unseen. :x

edbarx

#29 Post by edbarx »

The choice of the basic services offered by unseen.is makes one think of needing to purchase the premium services. One reason for having this impression is that with the premium package, users can create their own encryption private keys. So, contrary to what they claim, they will know the private keys when users opt not to use the premium package! If they value privacy so much, why wouldn't they allow all their services, irrespective of being against payment or not, to have total secrecy of the private keys?! :shock: :?

Think with your head, if it is free, it is usually free as in free bait. This doesn't mean that free services don't exist, but that, one must be very cautious with organisations that offer free services together with better mirror services requiring payment.

This looks more like a promotional stunt to me.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Sarahsmith

#30 Post by Sarahsmith »

Hi all :)

I found this post searching for invite codes as im in a similar sitution. Been fruitlessly trying to set up claws mail for ages and found out today I can do it with the riseup set up - only to find their website says i could be waiting ages for an account - waah!

is there anyone who would be so massively kind as to help out with an invite code?

kindest regards!

Sarah.

golinux

#31 Post by golinux »

Nope. Move along . . .

ja4589

#32 Post by ja4589 »

Are there two more people who would each give me an invitation code so that I may join riseup.net's email service? Thanks in advance.

GarryRicketson

#33 Post by GarryRicketson »

4D696B65 wrote:I applied yesterday and was accepted today.

An interesting quote from riseup
WARNING: If you give an invite code to somebody you don't know, we may close your account.
So don't give invites to people who join up here just to ask for an invite.

@ ja4589
Did you read the entire thread ?

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#34 Post by 4D696B65 »

After three pages of this I think we all know the score so time to lock.