Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Riseup mail invitation

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
/dev/null

Riseup mail invitation

#1 Post by /dev/null »

Not related to Debian but...

I just received an invitation to Riseup mail (https://riseup.net/en) from my friend, but it turns out that one needs to have 2 invitations from 2 different persons to register an account there.
So I thought maybe someone here have a spare one for me :oops:
I would be very grateful.

/tmp

Re: Riseup mail invitation

#2 Post by /tmp »

Check your PM inbox :)

Solidarity, my friend.
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

Randicus

#3 Post by Randicus »

/dev/null wrote:I just received an invitation to Riseup mail (https://riseup.net/en) from my friend, but it turns out that one needs to have 2 invitations from 2 different persons to register an account there.
Since you mentioned a service I did not know about, I checked it out, out of curiosity. Actually, invitations are not necessary. They just make the process quicker. I am posting this for the benefit of anyone else that might be interested.
There are two ways to have your account approved: you can either get invite codes from existing users you know or wait for us to approve your request. It is sometimes difficult for us to keep up with the volume of requests, so it may take us up to a few weeks to get back to you. If you know two different riseup.net users, you can use the invite method, and your account will be created and be ready to use immediately.

Struth

#4 Post by Struth »

From what i see at the link (riseup.net/en) this:
https://we.riseup.net
is not mentioned, many other services are mentioned. It's a social network, based on crabgrass (i think the same group develops puppet, monkeysphere and more goodies. https://labs.riseup.net/code).
compared to other social networks it is way faster (imho). Be they free (diaspora, identi.ca) or non-free (twitter, facebook) does not matter, they all crawl.

Imho it is a very good project. The docu alone is first class.

golinux

#5 Post by golinux »

I applied for an account the old fashioned way after reading this yesterday. Took less than 24 hours to get approved. But then I have activist creds and am already on a riseup list. Riseup is way cool!
May the FORK be with you!

/dev/null

#6 Post by /dev/null »

/tmp wrote: Check your PM inbox :)

Solidarity, my friend.
Thank You !!!

My Internet connection went down for 14h, soon after I posted this request yesterday - hmmm what a coincidence :wink:

Randicus

#7 Post by Randicus »

They are watching you. Better make an aluminium foil hat soon.

cray_on

#8 Post by cray_on »

Any chance that anyone has a riseup invite code that they would be willing to share with me? I just need one more!

abnocto

#9 Post by abnocto »

Greetings from Brazil!

We are living a tense borderline situation around here regarding rising social unrest. I'd like to consult any ofmyou if you could share an ivite with me. I participate in part-time political movements, focusedon non violent-protesting.

Thank you.

Beste regards to all!

mor

#10 Post by mor »

@abnocto
Randicus wrote:Actually, invitations are not necessary. They just make the process quicker. I am posting this for the benefit of anyone else that might be interested.
There are two ways to have your account approved: you can either get invite codes from existing users you know or wait for us to approve your request. It is sometimes difficult for us to keep up with the volume of requests, so it may take us up to a few weeks to get back to you. If you know two different riseup.net users, you can use the invite method, and your account will be created and be ready to use immediately.
And also:
golinux wrote:I applied for an account the old fashioned way after reading this yesterday. Took less than 24 hours to get approved.
Try "the old fashioned way". ;)

mrr

#11 Post by mrr »

Hello,

I'm looking for an open source alternative to GMail. Riseup.net looks interesting, but it seems they stopped approving accounts without invitation.
Could you please send me an invitation ?
Alternatively, does anyone knows a similar email service ?

Thanks

mrr

#13 Post by mrr »

I used this form two months ago, and I never got a response, either positive or negative :-/
It looks like nobody is reading those requests.

golinux

#14 Post by golinux »

mrr wrote:I used this form two months ago, and I never got a response, either positive or negative :-/
It looks like nobody is reading those requests.
It took less than a day for them to approve my application a few months ago.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#15 Post by 4D696B65 »

I applied yesterday and was accepted today.

An interesting quote from riseup
WARNING: If you give an invite code to somebody you don't know, we may close your account.
So don't give invites to people who join up here just to ask for an invite.

golinux

#16 Post by golinux »

4D696B65 wrote:So don't give invites to people who join up here just to ask for an invite.
A while ago someone PM'd me asking for an invitation. I told him since I had no idea who he was there was no way I was going to do it. He replied but by the time I saw the PM he had wisely deleted his likely very pissed off response.

hemanga

#17 Post by hemanga »

Hi golinux, I also need an invite for riseup. I got one from <edited>@riseup.com. Would you be so kind to sent me one, although you dont know me?

sincerely yours

Hemanga
Last edited by dilberts_left_nut on 2014-06-02 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: munged address

dasein

#18 Post by dasein »

hemanga wrote:I also need an invite for riseup. I got one from <edited>@riseup.com. Would you be so kind to sent me one, although you dont know me?
Unethical much, are we????

Riseup specifically prohibits such behavior, and explicitly says that it violates their TOS. And as 4D696B65 pointed out just a couple of posts back in this thread, riseup reserves the right to cancel the accounts of anyone who gives invitations to strangers.
Last edited by dilberts_left_nut on 2014-06-02 18:20, edited 1 time in total.

BowCatShot

#19 Post by BowCatShot »

They seemed pretty good at first. Then they said in their application form that they believe in anti-capitalism. F**k them.

golinux

#20 Post by golinux »

hemanga wrote:I also need an invite for riseup. I got one from <edited>@riseup.com. Would you be so kind to sent me one, although you dont know me?
I've also gotten a few email requests over the months. Can't remember whether I just ignored them or told them to do it the old-fashioned way - on merit!
Last edited by dilberts_left_nut on 2014-06-02 18:21, edited 1 time in total.