Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hans Reiser Selling Company

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ghostdawg

Hans Reiser Selling Company

#1 Post by ghostdawg »

This is a terrible situation he's in.
DUBLIN, California -- Hans Reiser, the prominent Bay Area Linux programmer charged with murdering his wife, says he's seeking to sell off his open-source file system company, Namesys, to help pay mounting legal costs.

In the first interview since his arrest, Reiser spoke this week about the future of his company and his legal travails from within the walls of Santa Rita Jail, where he is being held without bail.
Full article in link below.

http://tinyurl.com/y8wcfx

thamarok

#2 Post by thamarok »

That's bad,, but I don't see much of a future for ReiserFS :(

aketus

#3 Post by aketus »

SuSE is dropping support for reiserfs in favour of ext3 for, I believe, OpenSuse 11 (or was it 10.2? ) ? Not sure if it's related though

Edit: Ah yeah read it in Linux Format. It's for the next SLED release

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by Lavene »

The guy is accused of murdering his wife and you are worried about the filesystem? This is a huge tragedy for him... guilty or not.

I'm also stunned to learn that it's possible to be ruined by legal fees on a mere accusation, long before he even goes to trail, in the US. Amazing... tragic.

DeanLinkous

#5 Post by DeanLinkous »

Yes, yes, yes, it is only the US. Every other country is a shining example of humanity, decency, good will, and fairness. On a scale of 1-10 the US is a 0 and every other country is a 11...

As far as the accusation, as well as to add flame to your fire. Even if the charges are "dropped" or he is found "innocent", most states still keep the charges listed on the persons *criminal* record. Strange that a finding of innocence or even the case being "dropped" means something is still listed on your *criminal* record, huh?

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by Lavene »

DeanLinkous wrote:Yes, yes, yes, it is only the US. Every other country is a shining example of humanity, decency, good will, and fairness. On a scale of 1-10 the US is a 0 and every other country is a 11...
Oh... I didn't mean it that way. I probably could make a list of bad things in my own glorious country that would be just as long as a list of what's bad in the US. It's just that this was a 'new' bad and I merely noted that I find it tragic that merely being accused of a serious crime pretty much ruins your life.

That comment was really not meant as 'USA bashing'. I'm sorry if I offended any one.

Tina

polemicz

#7 Post by polemicz »

From the town next door, Berkeley, let me offer a comment or two. Resier has never been all that likable in the Linux community, witness the recent interchanges between him and others on Resier 4 and the kernel. As far as his ex-wife, police have found her blood in his car and his home.
We tend, in this part of the world, to be pretty skeptical about police and the like, but this is something that makes Reiser look very bad.

aketus

#8 Post by aketus »

you are worried about the filesystem?
I'm not worried at all.

thamarok

#9 Post by thamarok »

Lavene wrote:The guy is accused of murdering his wife and you are worried about the filesystem? This is a huge tragedy for him... guilty or not.

I'm also stunned to learn that it's possible to be ruined by legal fees on a mere accusation, long before he even goes to trail, in the US. Amazing... tragic.
Hold it back Tina! I have read this article before it was posted here.. I was firstly worried about Hans, but now I'm a little worried about the ReiserFS..

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#10 Post by Lavene »

Sorry people. Seem like my entire post came out the wrong way :? Consider it retracted :)

Tina