Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

MP3 players that will play MIDI?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
thamarok

MP3 players that will play MIDI?

#1 Post by thamarok »

That would be cool wouldn't it?
The only choice right now I can think of is to get a IpodLinux compatible IPod and then install IpodLinux to it and the MIDI player module.... but it's hard to find a IpodLinux compatible IPod :(

Probably it would be possible on any MP3 player by making your own firmware for it, but that's far too advanced for me... I just don't understand why there are no portable MIDI players out there... A good idea I have in mind is to have some management software for the MIDI player to load a SoundFont and configuring other stuf... :?

But maybe there are some MIDI players out there, but Google didn't find much :(

Grifter

#2 Post by Grifter »

There's one more or less entirely open source device called the neuros, it has an open source firmware and it's possible midi has been added to it

A second option is rockbox, which is a collaborative firmware project that can be loaded onto a few different devices, I believe this firmware has midi playback for (probably not all) some devices it can be loaded on to
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

thamarok

#3 Post by thamarok »

Thanks for the info Grifter!