Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DirectX 9.0L

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
thamarok

DirectX 9.0L

#1 Post by thamarok »

Hello!

Now as Micro$oft is working on Vista and DirectX 10, they decided to make a refurbished version for XP called DirectX 9.0L.. It is said that the 9.0L version of DirectX will support Shader Model 4.0 and it *will* play games made for DirectX 10. This is somehow good news for Cedega/Wine users and Linux gamers in general, since making an API based on XP *will* be easier than making an API based on Vista.

Any comment our thoughts about this? Please reply here and share your knowledge.
As it seems, Micro$oft is slowly trying to make gamers to buy Vista in order to be able to play the newest games at their fullest, because it is not 100% said that DirectX 9.0L would be as DirectX 10.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

Sweet! Does this mean that we get some of the myriad of free DirectX vulnerabilities on Linux now too? I'm tired of the Win users getting to have all the fun.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

thamarok

#3 Post by thamarok »

mzilikazi wrote:Sweet! Does this mean that we get some of the myriad of free DirectX vulnerabilities on Linux now too? I'm tired of the Win users getting to have all the fun.
Probably, I have been in contact with the developers of Cedega and they say that creating an APi to support DirectX 9.0L is on their TODO-list. I don't know what the Wine project will do about this, but it is likely that they (or someone else) will also make an API to support 9.0L.