Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Petition against EU streaming service Linux ban

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
DeanLinkous

#16 Post by DeanLinkous »

fake which version of flash you have.....
some of those sites that require flash8 or higher....really do not need flash 8 or higher....some do though.....

ajdlinux

#17 Post by ajdlinux »

My experience is that more often than not the Flash animations on most pages are advertisements. Flash on my rather old 2002-ish Linux PC is really slow and takes up a lot of resources. And of course on top of that it is proprietary.

I haven't encountered a site where I've *really* needed Flash for quite a while now.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

thamarok

#18 Post by thamarok »

ajdlinux wrote:My experience is that more often than not the Flash animations on most pages are advertisements. Flash on my rather old 2002-ish Linux PC is really slow and takes up a lot of resources. And of course on top of that it is proprietary.

I haven't encountered a site where I've *really* needed Flash for quite a while now.
+1!

Linux has the right to have the same services as Windows and Mac OS X!
Come with me and strike until Blizzard ports World of Warcraft to Linux also!

:shock: :lol:

(But since WoW is available for Mac OS X, an official port would be quite positive)

ajdlinux

#19 Post by ajdlinux »

thamarok wrote: Linux has the right to have the same services as Windows and Mac OS X!
Wonder if they would port the spyware over with it...
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

Grifter

#20 Post by Grifter »

thamarok wrote:Linux has the right to have the same services as Windows and Mac OS X!

(But since WoW is available for Mac OS X, an official port would be quite positive)
Like I told you in this thread, blizzard has a linux native client for world of warcraft, they just won't release it
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

thamarok

#21 Post by thamarok »

Grifter wrote:
thamarok wrote:Linux has the right to have the same services as Windows and Mac OS X!

Like I told you in this thread, blizzard has a linux native client for world of warcraft, they just won't release it
Actually I meant that Blizzard should release it, but since they are n00bs, nothing to hope :(

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#22 Post by Lavene »

ajdlinux wrote:My experience is that more often than not the Flash animations on most pages are advertisements. Flash on my rather old 2002-ish Linux PC is really slow and takes up a lot of resources. And of course on top of that it is proprietary.

Flash is probably the most abused technology out there. I have flashblock installed because I can't stand the flashing, bright, intrusive ads. The only reason I have flash installed at all is to watch the occasional video. It can go days between each time I unblock a flash animation...
I agree. I hate to have to manually install malicious software, I want the viruses to autoinstall! ;)

Tina
Last edited by Lavene on 2007-01-07 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

kinematic

#23 Post by kinematic »

it seems the petition is going well.....more than 14000 people have signed it.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

_FOCUS_

#24 Post by _FOCUS_ »

thamarok wrote:I signed in the petition, but I was thinking that YouTube videos work in Linux, so couldn't that whatever council make the streaming videos in Flash using the FLV codec?
You are right I downloaded some video from youtube and I can watch them with totem or vlc player. But no voice :D
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.