Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Petition against EU streaming service Linux ban

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
mojoman

Petition against EU streaming service Linux ban

#1 Post by mojoman »

The Council of the European Union have a website with streaming videos. If you want watch, use windows or Mac or, well, don't watch. This sucks bigtime and there is a petition to make them change this:

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/10879

A few more names won't hurt...

/Mojoman

Kerr

#2 Post by Kerr »

While I agree that they should provide an alternative for non-Win/Mac-users(especially since the EU is funded with tax money), I doubt the maturity of the alternative formats.
The only legal alternative for streaming video is Ogg Theora, and it's not even very popular amongst Linux-users, so how can you expect others to follow?

mojoman

#3 Post by mojoman »

Kerr wrote:While I agree that they should provide an alternative for non-Win/Mac-users(especially since the EU is funded with tax money), I doubt the maturity of the alternative formats.
The only legal alternative for streaming video is Ogg Theora, and it's not even very popular amongst Linux-users, so how can you expect others to follow?
I agree that streaming video might not be Linux strongest card but most people using Linux can play Ogg (and without violating any property rights to boot) and as long as it is not offered as an alternative to proprietary media formats, yes, it will be harder for other to follow.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by Lavene »

Can you blame them? Theora is still in alpha. If they start a service it would have to be reliable, and no one will ever try to run a reliable service based on alpha code.

Tina

thamarok

#5 Post by thamarok »

I signed in the petition, but I was thinking that YouTube videos work in Linux, so couldn't that whatever council make the streaming videos in Flash using the FLV codec?

Grifter

#6 Post by Grifter »

and what if they stop making flash binaries for linux? the new one has been delayed for a long time, and all those sites that can't be viewed because they "require" the new flash version are closed

what if they just stop making it altogether?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

thamarok

#7 Post by thamarok »

Grifter wrote:and what if they stop making flash binaries for linux? the new one has been delayed for a long time, and all those sites that can't be viewed because they "require" the new flash version are closed

what if they just stop making it altogether?
Yeah :(
What makes Linux bad is that the silly companies out there just don't port their stuff to Linux, leaving Linux users to suffer and Microsoft's money grow.

Grifter

#8 Post by Grifter »

to be honest I don't suffer at all, I hate flash :p

thamarok

#9 Post by thamarok »

Grifter wrote:to be honest I don't suffer at all, I hate flash :p
What?! And how do you play Roly Poly in Miniclip.com? Tell me!
:P :lol:

hcgtv

#10 Post by hcgtv »

+1
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

thamarok

#11 Post by thamarok »

So we all should just shut up and enjoy Linux without Flash and other things? Wow, then the Linux userbase would sink a lot.

DeanLinkous

#12 Post by DeanLinkous »

yes!

no flash for me....

thamarok

#13 Post by thamarok »

Do I have to give you a girl for free to make up your mind :)

ghostdawg

#14 Post by ghostdawg »

You can use Gnash instead of Flash...it's open source, but still need working on.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

thamarok

#15 Post by thamarok »

ghostdawg wrote:You can use Gnash instead of Flash...it's open source, but still need working on.
But the down side is, Gnash supports Flash up to version 7 and with that you can't enjoy any Flash page at all..

DeanLinkous

#16 Post by DeanLinkous »

fake which version of flash you have.....
some of those sites that require flash8 or higher....really do not need flash 8 or higher....some do though.....

ajdlinux

#17 Post by ajdlinux »

My experience is that more often than not the Flash animations on most pages are advertisements. Flash on my rather old 2002-ish Linux PC is really slow and takes up a lot of resources. And of course on top of that it is proprietary.

I haven't encountered a site where I've *really* needed Flash for quite a while now.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

thamarok

#18 Post by thamarok »

ajdlinux wrote:My experience is that more often than not the Flash animations on most pages are advertisements. Flash on my rather old 2002-ish Linux PC is really slow and takes up a lot of resources. And of course on top of that it is proprietary.

I haven't encountered a site where I've *really* needed Flash for quite a while now.
+1!

Linux has the right to have the same services as Windows and Mac OS X!
Come with me and strike until Blizzard ports World of Warcraft to Linux also!

:shock: :lol:

(But since WoW is available for Mac OS X, an official port would be quite positive)

ajdlinux

#19 Post by ajdlinux »

thamarok wrote: Linux has the right to have the same services as Windows and Mac OS X!
Wonder if they would port the spyware over with it...
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

Grifter

#20 Post by Grifter »

thamarok wrote:Linux has the right to have the same services as Windows and Mac OS X!

(But since WoW is available for Mac OS X, an official port would be quite positive)
Like I told you in this thread, blizzard has a linux native client for world of warcraft, they just won't release it