Poor User's Defences, Basic Anti-Surveillance for Debian

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: Poor User's Defences, Basic Anti-Surveillance for Debian

Postby timbgo » 2014-09-09 18:31

RU55EL wrote:
timbgo wrote:Poor User's Defences
====================

Basic Anti-Surveillance for Debian GNU/Linux
============================================

This is a set of simple non-expert methods of counter surveillance.
It is called Poor User's Defences after the Gospel sense of the word.

[...]

I find the OP very confusing. The post starts with the above title including "Anti-Serveillance" but then mentions counter surveillance. Is this about protecting yourself and your computer system, or about spying on someone else? Then the reference to the Gospel? I'm sorry, too confusing for me.

You are right, to some extent, about "counter". My wrong use of the word. Didn't mean what the word implies. Just preventing surveillance, not surveilling on others, I abhorr the sole notion of it.
As far as Gospel, my religion is like anyone else's views, admitted as long as it doesn't obstruct the matter I talk about, which if doesn't, like the little cross around a neck doesn't prevent a person to participate in a discussion. Pls. leave that to my own decision. Thank you.
EDIT: Pls. leave the decision (actually the freedom) what to name my method to me.
Last edited by timbgo on 2014-09-09 22:06, edited 2 times in total.
timbgo

Postby RU55EL » 2014-09-09 19:19

timbgo wrote:[...]
As far as Gospel, my religion is like anyone else's views, admitted as long as it doesn't obstruct the matter I talk about, which if doesn't, like the little cross around a neck doesn't prevent a person to participate in a discussion.

Again, you have me totally confused! Your religion is nothing like my views! If you want to discuss computer operating system - OK. If you want to discuss religion, I don't think this is the place. I don't see any cross around your neck, I only see the text that you post.

timbgo wrote:Pls. leave that to my own decision. Thank you.

What is Pls? Leave what to your own decision? Sorry, but this confuses me. There is really no point in continuing this discussion further. Sorry, but it will only confuse me.
RU55EL

Postby Linadian » 2014-09-09 23:08

RU55EL wrote:What is Pls?

Usually shorthand for 'please', but this isn't a text on a phone so I don't see the point of it either.
Linux Registered User 533946
Linadian

Postby timbgo » 2014-09-10 16:20

I wonder what to do now with this tip.

It is a tip, and it's been ruined, really, by people who otherwise do good things in Gentoo, and whom I respect, like dasein, who is Osamu Aoke, the author of the superb Debian Reference Guide, IIUC,and the other one whom I don't know, who actually moved it Offtopic.

Now, people are reading this, and making all kinds of necessary and non comments...

And that's not conducive to writing anything, if you get distracted without a reason...

The kid, RUSSELL, that must be a kid, browsing with parental consent (how could a grown up Ango-Saxon not know what "Pls." means?), and that is really marvelous from a parent to teach their kids Debian GNU/Linux!...

The kid made me actually want to try and improve the first post, that I left uncompleted for too long...

I wish I will be able to find time to do it.

No, I won't touch the old one, because then it wouldn't be clear what and why what happened. I do agree that there were reasons for objecting to the post. But not that many!

I intend to keep the name and the very short explanation of what the name of my method means, but to call that politics, the name of the method and those, I'm counting, altogether
eleven words, three the name, eight the explanation...

To call that politics, is really a gross exaggeration.

Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia
http://www.CroatiaFidelis.hr
timbgo

Postby timbgo » 2014-10-04 09:14

For you people who are awaiting to read more on my method, which is suitable for even newbies, well somewhat obstinate newbies like I was, who don't easily give up, and don't easily belive honey-speaking big guys, be they even leaders, this is a fine read for you:

Why is Gentoo not switching to systemd?
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-9 ... ml#7624042
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-9 ... ml#7624044

So far so good, the article, which those are two parts of, appears to be as I posted it, and available. That is not absolutely certain to remain, depends on which side in, generally FOSS Linux, the good honest and truthful one, or the opposite one, will carry more clout in the future at deciding things. To be on the safe side, if you like what you read, save those pages for yourself. Surely if you begin to feel those might be tl;dr, pls. just don't read those!

A lot is there that hardly anyone will tell you and you, don't just believe what I say there, you decide if I write the true there.

Miroslav Rovis
Zagreb, Croatia
http://www.CroatiaFidelis.hr
timbgo

Postby golinux » 2014-10-04 14:10

Gentoo might not be a systemd-free refuge for long. In fact, Poettering et al are taking aim at gentoo. This from DUF:

Also note that at that point we intend to move udev onto kdbus as
transport, and get rid of the userspace-to-userspace netlink-based
tranport udev used so far. Unless the systemd-haters prepare another
kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean that we will
not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that
point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call.

Assimilation is nearly complete.
Last edited by golinux on 2014-10-13 14:57, edited 1 time in total.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby timbgo » 2014-10-05 09:22

Yes, that's was very very arrogant from Poettering to say!
(But this topic should be more connected to Anti-Surveillance; I posted those links because the links are aloo on surveillance, not just systemd :-) . Pls. don't get me wrong, dear *nixer.)
Miro
EDIT:
golinux wrote:Gentoo might not be a systemd-free refuge for long. In fact, Poettering et al are taking aim at gentoo. [b]This[/b] from DUF:
...snip...

Oh, I see. But you would've averted my complaining had you told us that Grsecurity/Pax is suggested in that topic, that is not on the first, but the second page:
Pieces placed in juxtaposition. "Opensource is going mainst"
http://www.debianuserforums.org/viewtop ... 6&start=10
where it reads, to my relief:
GRsecurity/Pax patched by default ofcourse

...Still reading...
timbgo

Postby timbgo » 2014-12-27 20:11

I have finally, but it was at times nerve-wrecking, it took me four (4) days!...
I have finally written a complete guide that basically substitues this Tips page, wrongly Offtopic'd, completely:

Air-Gapped Debian Install for Newbies
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=119648

And Merry Christmas to everybody!

timbgo

Previous

Return to Offtopic