Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Downtime :(

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ajdlinux

Downtime :(

#1 Post by ajdlinux »

Around Boxing Day (26th December) my PSU blew up, as it was around public holidays I didn't get it repaired until the 3rd.

I got my PC back with a new 400W PSU and went into the BIOS hardware monitor and saw that my CPU fan was going at the extremely high speed of ... 0 RPM. :shock: :shock: :shock: As it turned out the repair guy had plugged the CPU fan into the System Fan pins on the motherboard, which explained why it wasn't giving a reading as well as why my fan regulator wasn't working...

I have other worse stories of tech support, like the time it took four months and legal threats just to get my monitor repaired under warranty...
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

thamarok

#2 Post by thamarok »

Bad luck :(
It was so funny that once when I "built" my PC (I chose what components I needed and the store made the rest), the final PC had the floppy cable upside-down which explained why it didn't work :lol:

ajdlinux

#3 Post by ajdlinux »

My problems with this PC so far:

1) It came with viruses preloaded with Windows 98 (and ironically Norton Antivirus as well)
2) The monitor broke - it took four months, which is crazy
3) The hard drive was defective (I lost its entire contents)
4) The RAM stick failed ($110 IIRC)
5) The PSU blew up

One thing not to do is to buy a PC from a private person (like I did), warranty claims are difficult and they often move away and become hard to track down...
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au