Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Linux based home routers

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Linux based home routers

#1 Post by mzilikazi »

Currently I use a Linksys WRT54g & a Buffalo WHR-G54S both running DD-WRT. Both are excellent routers. Then I saw the Netgear KWGR614 and decided to check it out.

I got a laugh out of this part:
OPEN SOURCE WIRELESS-G ROUTER
KWGR614
NEW!

Open source code enables router customization for Linux developers and hobbyists
Yet under the requirements page what do we see?
# Microsoft® Windows® 98, Me, NT, 2000, XP and other operating systems running a TCP/IP network
# Microsoft® Internet Explorer™ 5.0 or Netscape® 4.7 or higher
Still they don't want to come right out and just say "It works with Linux too!"
Silly......
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

plugwash

#2 Post by plugwash »

well it does say "and other operating systems running a TCP/IP network"

and mozilla was based on old netscape so maybe that comes in thier or higher ;)

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#3 Post by mzilikazi »

plugwash wrote:well it does say "and other operating systems running a TCP/IP network"
Yeah I guess that was the non-committal way to say 'Linux' :D
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

ajdlinux

#4 Post by ajdlinux »

It may very well just be a requirements page they just copy for every product.

Also I've heard from tech support guys at D-Link that they don't list Linux as supported because then the tech support guys have to actually support it, and that is difficult due to the variety of configurations. So they just say 'it may work' even though they know it does.
Jabber: xmpp:ajdlinux@jabber.org.au
Spammers, email this: ajdspambucket@exemail.com.au

rickh

#5 Post by rickh »

According to the only review on amazon.com, you NEED Internet Explorer to do the initial setup. After it's once set up, you can maintain it with Firefox.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

thamarok

#6 Post by thamarok »

Would it be possible with IEs4Linux?

stream303

#7 Post by stream303 »

As a side note, one of the first things I do when encountering these windows-centric routers is disable all windows-centric features like Upnp, etc.

The close ties between Windows and low-cost routers is what leads to frustration of linux users having to go through hoops to get their dns servers correctly recognized when using dhcp - when their windows / mac boxes seem to "just work".

From what I've read many years ago, it is because the specs are distorted to fit windows / mac and linux is actually following the rules.

Just a note as to why so many linux users find it frustrating to have to manually enter their dns server addresses in the router setup pages, when you don't have to for Windows / mac ....