Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debra Murdock

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
michael7

Debra Murdock

#1 Post by michael7 »

This question came up in conversation today at the office-- "Where is Debra Murdock these days and what's she doing?"

We know about Ian. There's the occasional news item and of course, we can read his blog. But the other half of the famous Deb-ian couple, what happened to her? (I'll bet Lavene knows. Heck, maybe Debra is Lavene, posting under an assumed name!)
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

garrincha

#2 Post by garrincha »

I thought that Ian and Debra both live in USA. I knew that Ian is originally from Germany, not too sure about Debra though. In any case unless i'm mistaken Lavene is from Norway, so unlikely :wink:!
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#3 Post by mzilikazi »

Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

ghostdawg

#4 Post by ghostdawg »

I thought Ian just used the Deb part of Debra to form the name Debian! I'm not sure if she was a techie or not.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Re: Debra Murdock

#5 Post by Lavene »

michael7 wrote:But the other half of the famous Deb-ian couple, what happened to her? (I'll bet Lavene knows. Heck, maybe Debra is Lavene, posting under an assumed name!)
*lol*

I don't think Deb Murdock had anything to do with the project apart from lending her name. I have never seen her mentioned at all in any technical context...

Tina

thamarok

#6 Post by thamarok »

It's hard to find an image of her...
Last edited by thamarok on 2007-01-17 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#7 Post by Lavene »

Well... the picture is called "Mom and I"so... guess not ;)

garrincha

#8 Post by garrincha »

thamarok wrote:It's hard to find an image of her, but lastly I found this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/imurdock/78115998/

I assume that's Debra..
thamarok! You need to check your eyes LOL!

I do not think that Debra has much to do with the Debian development in term of technical aspects apart from lending her name when she was Ian's partner.

IIRC, Debra & Ian Murdock were mentioned once on pg 3, Chapter 1 of the Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible:
...Thus in August of 1993 was the Debian software distribution born. It was one of the first such distributions, and it's one of the longest lived. Created by Ian Murdock (and named after a combination of his name and the name of his wife, Debra), the original announcement reads in part:

Distributions are essential to the future of Linux. Essentially, they eliminate the need for the user to locate, download, compile, install, and integrate a fairly large number of essential tools to assemble a working Linux system. Instead, the burden of system construction is placed on the distribution creator, whose work can be shared with thousands of other users. Almost all users of Linux will get their first taste of it through a distribution for the sake of convenience even after they are familiar with the operating system. Thus, distributions play a very important role indeed.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

thamarok

#9 Post by thamarok »

Lavene wrote:Well... the picture is called "Mom and I"so... guess not ;)
What are you talking about? :lol:

michael7

#10 Post by michael7 »

Thanks for the link to Ian Murdock's photos. Some of them will make great wallpaper.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/imurdock/78115998/
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract