Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Smart TVs getting hacked

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
golinux

Smart TVs getting hacked

#1 Post by golinux »

Smart phones, smart houses, now smart TVS. Give me a CRT any day. Can't hack that!!

Red Button Flaw Exposes Major Vulnerability In Millions of Smart TVs
May the FORK be with you!

dezingg

Re: Smart TVs getting hacked

#2 Post by dezingg »

Then you love the home products that offer being able to controlled over the Internet? Connectivity gone too far perhaps?

Regarding "smart" appliances:
I often watch DVDs on my WinVista laptop. (Sorry.) One day I did a fairly global search for a file and ended up with a hit in a directory that contained a list of every DVD I've played on the laptop. Made me think that I should buy a "dumb" DVD player that won't keep track what I play with it. (All my DVDs were purchased from local commercial retailers.)

(Sorry ... the topic is fairly old. I couldn't resist saying something.)
WinXP Compaq Presario overwritten with Wheezy.
WinVista laptop sometimes runs DebianLive. (Hoping to setup a USB HD with persistence.)

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#3 Post by steve_v »

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

dezingg

#4 Post by dezingg »

steve_v wrote:A CRT won't keep you safe: http://www.newscientist.com/blog/techno ... walls.html
You may be able to collect the signals emanating from a CRT, but you can't hack into the CRT and change what the CRT is doing. Flat panel vs. CRT isn't the issue. It is the "smart" networked electronics within the new equipment that is the issue. The article in the first link talks about using a transmitter to hack into as many smart TVs as can receive the signal. A stronger signal reaches more TVs. In an urban setting the numbers are quite alarming. I've already forgotten the details of the article, but they spoke of stronger dangers than just messing up the TV.
WinXP Compaq Presario overwritten with Wheezy.
WinVista laptop sometimes runs DebianLive. (Hoping to setup a USB HD with persistence.)

tomazzi

#5 Post by tomazzi »

Somehow, I've missed the existence of this thread...

It's not surprising that Smart TV's are being hacked - this is what happens to all closed-source solutions sooner or later. But You know what? Very soon You will be offered to buy an antivirus for Your TV... stay cool...

Unless, someone will realise that this is only beginning: HDMI 1.4 has integrated ethernet connection - so unless You will use HDMI 1.3 cables, You can't know what devices are connected to network - it can be everything in Your house.
HDMI 1.4 is proven to have huge security holes - It's even possible to crash the TV's operating system by injecting faulty EDID data.

Root Your TV and make sure that You're using HDMI1.3 cables. Never upgrade the firmware after rooting.

Unless You want someone to listen-in You or watch Your house trough the TV's built-in camera...

THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

/edid:
In case if You want to use network services offered by the TV manufacturer, buy a router which is supported by open source projects like DD-WRT or TOMATO. Change the firmware to open-source. Then make sure that You have firewall running on the router and secure access to the router with strong ssh (i.e. disable remote logins). Then, set a router Firewall rule to block incomming connections and what would be perfect: enable only those outgoing connections which are using safe ports (like http, https, etc.)
/edit

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus