Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SpiderOak, alternative to Dropbox, advised by Edward Snowden

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
esp7

SpiderOak, alternative to Dropbox, advised by Edward Snowden

#1 Post by esp7 »

Snowden: Dropbox is hostile to privacy, unlike 'zero knowledge' Spideroak

Whistleblower urges consumers to adopt more secure file storage systems which are less susceptible to government surveillance

Edward Snowden has warned against the cloud storage service Dropbox which he says is "hostile to privacy", and called for more services to offer the 'zero knowledge' which have no decrypted access to user data.
Snowden pointed out that Dropbox had appointed former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to its board in April 2014.
"Dropbox is a targeted you know wannabe PRISM partner," he told the Guardian. "They just put … Condoleezza Rice on their board… who is probably the most anti-privacy official you can imagine. She's one of the ones who oversaw Stellar Wind and thought it was a great idea. So they're very hostile to privacy."
Cloud companies need to pursue the zero knowledge system, he said, where they host and process content on behalf of customers without having access to it themselves.
"By depriving themselves of the ability to read the information, of the ability to sort of analyse and manipulate the information without the customers' consent or authorisation, that's the only way they can prove to the customers that they can be trusted with their information," he said.
"Spideroak has structured their system in such a way you can store all of your information on them with the same sort of features that Dropbox does, but they literally had have no access to the content. So while they can be compelled to turn it over, the law enforcement agencies still have to go to a judge and get a warrant to actually get your encryption key from you."
Spideroak, which was founded in Illinois in 2006, is one a group of tech companies offering a zero knowledge service for its customers, who use it to store documents, images and videos.
Much like its larger rival Dropbox, Spideroak offers online storage for individuals and businesses. But because the service encrypts users' files on their device before they reach the Spideroak servers, it claims no one at the company can decode them.
Only the user, with their unique key – an extremely long, unguessable number – can decrypt the files again. This technique means that data can't be at risk from internal or external hackers, and any government would have to request access by issuing a warrant to the user for their password.

source: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... -spideroak
I understand that Dropbox is to be avoided and SpiderOak indeed looks nice with client side encryption but it will only become the best when they will have fully open sourced their client which is their intention some day. They offer 2GB free accounts which you can expand with 1GB by registering via referrals, below my own in case your are interested :D

Download SpiderOak - Online Backup and Sync Free through this link and we both get 1GB extra storage for life!
https://spideroak.com/download/referral ... b367dd29f8
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned

fafler

Re: SpiderOak, alternative to Dropbox, advised by Edward Sno

#2 Post by fafler »

Sparkleshare is a free dropbox alternative, which also uses encryption but is hosted by... yourself! It's even in the Debian repositories.

The only downside is that they can't spread the use of their software through referral links cleverly disguised as reviews.

esp7

Re: SpiderOak, alternative to Dropbox, advised by Edward Sno

#3 Post by esp7 »

not everyone is able to have his own cloud... why being so offensive? it was mentioned by Snowden at HomeX 2 days ago. i also was fully transparent about the referral link which gives myself and the new subscriber 1 additional GB storage. it is a not a review disguised referral link. seriously? :?
ThinkPad X220: i5-2520M CPU 2.5GHz - 8GB RAM 1333 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 250GB - Debian - ME_cleaned
ThinkPad X230: i5-3320M CPU 3.3GHz - 8GB RAM 1600 MHz - SSD 860 EVO 500GB - Debian - ME_cleaned