Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Illiterate UberStudent

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Linadian

Illiterate UberStudent

#1 Post by Linadian »

Read the welcome screen carefully, see if you can spot the typo, lol. Oh the irony, DOH! :wink: :lol:
Linux Registered User 533946

hakerdefo

Re: Illiterate UberStudent

#2 Post by hakerdefo »

Throughout!
What are you?
Spell police or Eagle eye ;)
Cheers!!!

Linadian

#3 Post by Linadian »

hakerdefo wrote:Spell police
Lol, considering this is a distro targeting STUDENTS, one would think they'd be a little more careful with their spelling. :shock: :D

golinux

#4 Post by golinux »

I find stuff like that all the time. Literacy continues to take a big hit as education goes down the toilet.
Last edited by golinux on 2014-07-22 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
May the FORK be with you!

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Time for Uberstudent 4.0.1, then.
I wonder how that got "throught", unless the developers are mostly non-English speakers, and the English version is just another localization.
MX Linux packager and developer

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

golinux wrote:Literacy continues to take a bit hit as education goes down the toilet.
Or a big hit, even. ;)

golinux

#7 Post by golinux »

dasein wrote:
golinux wrote:Literacy continues to take a bit hit as education goes down the toilet.
Or a big hit, even. ;)
Corrected. In my old age what I'm thinking is not always what I'm typing. Some sort of weird word salad . . . :mrgreen:

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

golinux wrote:
dasein wrote:
Or a big hit, even. ;)
Corrected. In my old age what I'm thinking is not always what I'm typing. Some sort of weird word salad . . . :mrgreen:
Meh. Like all simple mechanical mistakes, typos happen every day.

thanatos_incarnate

#9 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Oh, so now it's suddenly old age and not education. :lol:

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

thanatos_incarnate wrote:Oh, so now it's suddenly old age and not education. :lol:
You noticed that too, huh? :mrgreen:

golinux

#11 Post by golinux »

thanatos_incarnate wrote:Oh, so now it's suddenly old age and not education. :lol:
Today is my 72nd so yup, getting up there . . .

Randicus

#12 Post by Randicus »

Another spelling mistake: forums. :D
Erosion of the language by Anglisising the language's Latin words. The horror. :(

As for typos, although they are inevitable, when writing a paper to be turned in, making a website or other such endeavours, things should be proofread before being submitted. There is no excuse for typos on a webpage with only a few words. But then, in an age where people are not taught spelling and grammar and get high school diplomas while being semi-literate, proffreading would be a waste of time. :(

Linadian

#13 Post by Linadian »

Randicus wrote:proffreading
K, now was that a mistake, or checking if we're paying attention? :? :wink:

Randicus

#14 Post by Randicus »

:lol:
I must insist it was a test for everyone else, because I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

mor

#15 Post by mor »

Blame it on the spellchecker!

Mine just saved me from typing "spellcheker".

Randicus

#16 Post by Randicus »

I cannot blame the spell checker when using IceWeasel. For some reason, IceWeasel's spell check feature recently stopped working on Debian fora. It works everywhere else, but not on DFN and DUF. dwb and Midori's spell checkers still work on Debian boards, but not IceWeasel. :? Go figure.

hakerdefo

#17 Post by hakerdefo »

UberStudent according to Distrowatch originates from USA so it can't be a case of 'Lost In Translation'. I would like to add here that English language has a poor and unscientific spelling system so mistakes are bound to happen.
By the way I've mailed the developer of UberStudent about this little mistake he made.
Cheers!!!

uberstudent

#18 Post by uberstudent »

As penance for my egregious error, I have scheduled myself to both donate a kidney to science and to be a test subject for a new super-shocker taser model. I'm sure I'll find time to fulfill this commitment amid my schedule of working 60 hours per week AND putting out a Linux distro that Debian aficionados apparently find interesting.

Oh, and I've also released the typo fix in to the uberstudentwelcome package in the UberStudent repository.

BTW, instead of posting here, the OP might have instead showed the poise, as did hakerdefo, to alert me via the info that, you know, remains right there on the UberStudent Welcome Screen. :wink:

Randicus

#19 Post by Randicus »

I did not realise the members of this board are obligated to inform the owners/maintainers/creators of other websites when they make mistakes. How could I have possibly overlooked my responsibility to you and your site?

Linadian

#20 Post by Linadian »

Randicus wrote:I did not realise the members of this board are obligated to inform the owners/maintainers/creators of other websites when they make mistakes. How could I have possibly overlooked my responsibility to you and your site?
+1