Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Good By Microsoft !

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
CooSee

Good By Microsoft !

#1 Post by CooSee »

hcgtv

#2 Post by hcgtv »

I was worried the exe would wipe out my C: drive ;)
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

garrincha

#3 Post by garrincha »

hcgtv wrote:I was worried the exe would wipe out my C: drive ;)
LOL. I had the same thought too...I quickly cancel it anyway.

Does Debian actually install that easy by clicking on the link in a MS Window system?
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

DeanLinkous

#4 Post by DeanLinkous »

downloads the files needed to start the install and modifies the boot.ini file to boot those files....

bada boom bada bing....
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

craigevil

#5 Post by craigevil »

Very cool. Nice to not have to burn to cd.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

ghostdawg

#6 Post by ghostdawg »

Yes, it is interesting...the other day I used the graphical installer to reinstall debian64. Not bad for graphical.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

amc

#7 Post by amc »

Nice :)
ouim.org
eilo.org
trance.nu

using debian lenny

thamarok

#8 Post by thamarok »

So has someone tested it??
I would test in on QEMU, but I don't want to waste 3 hours installing Windows XP :P

rickh

#9 Post by rickh »

If you install it, does it require unallocated free space on the disk, or does it just use NTFS formatted hard drive space unused by Windows?
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

DeanLinkous

#10 Post by DeanLinkous »

I assume it just starts the installer so you still have to go thur the same motions, you can just START the install from windows...
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

frenchninja

#11 Post by frenchninja »

I think that's correct, I know the Ubuntu one is a sort of image that is loopmounted. I think the Debian one actually installs to a partition whereas the Ubuntu one doesn't seem to.

The Ubuntu.exe wiki page has some interesting info on how they do it. It's an interesting idea, useful for some people I guess (one wonders how Joe Bloggs is going to get on with using Linux when he already finds burning an image to a disc and making it bootable is too much of a challenge......)

rickh

#12 Post by rickh »

Hmmm! Seems to reside in the NTFS disk, working much as the Ubuntu installation described above. Maybe Debian simply beat Ubuntu to the punch on this one.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

DeanLinkous

#13 Post by DeanLinkous »

Wonder if it using the netinst image or the businesscard image or a full CD image? Maybe it should offer a choice of which CD image to use?

Kind of suck to do all this only to find out it cannot download because their network card is not supported. Maybe a warning for dialup users too...

I think the installer is probably more complicated than do-it-yourself and it certainly offers less choice but I guess for those that cannot consider doing anything without a exe and a mouse and clicking next, it is a good choice.

thamarok

#14 Post by thamarok »

DeanLinkous wrote:Wonder if it using the netinst image or the businesscard image or a full CD image? Maybe it should offer a choice of which CD image to use?

Kind of suck to do all this only to find out it cannot download because their network card is not supported. Maybe a warning for dialup users too...

I think the installer is probably more complicated than do-it-yourself and it certainly offers less choice but I guess for those that cannot consider doing anything without a exe and a mouse and clicking next, it is a good choice.
I think it downloads the netboot stuff..