Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Recent discoveries.

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
exploder

Recent discoveries.

#1 Post by exploder »

Recently I installed what will become Debian 8 Jesse. My original interest was in Gnome 3.14.0 and with Debian's reputation for quality I wanted to try it out. By chance I discovered that most multimedia playback worked without the need for non-free software. Of course there are some limitations but most of the things I enjoy on a daily basis work just fine.

I was so used to just installing non-free software that I had no idea of just how far open source alternatives had come. I started trying out some of my multimedia files in Debian and much to my surprise everything would play! Even things that were difficult or problematic in other distros worked out of the box. I was amazed to say the least!

I realize that Iceweasel uses the html player to play YouTube videos and that content on some sites will not play without Adobe Flash but that seems like a minor inconvenience and does not especially bother me. I felt kind of happy knowing that I did not have to depend on non-free software to enjoy using my computer!

I have absolutely nothing against anyone using non-free software. I do have installs of other distros with non-free software installed. Sometimes non-free software is a necessity, graphics drivers, converting music and videos, etc but I prefer to stay away from non-free packages where possible.

I was excited about how much multimedia playback was possible in Debian! When I try and discuss it on other forums though people act like I am a software purist or evangelist! You would think that people would be happy knowing that there are alternatives available for non-free software. I had often wondered if I could still enjoy my computer using only free software? I have been using what will be Debian Jesse for 5 days now and have not been on any of the other computers in the house.

I have listened to some of Richard Stallman's speeches in the past. I do not agree with everything he talks about but he does make some valid points. Yes, I am keeping my cell phone! I do feel though that maybe I have become too dependent on some non-free software. Adobe Flash comes to mind. Adobe dropped support for Linux, sure there is Chrome and Chromium with pepper flash but I do not like them as much as Firefox and Iceweasel. This is just my personal preference, nothing more.

I am extremely happy running Jesse and it is not even a final release yet! I like the fact that I can still enjoy using my computer without being so dependent on proprietary software. Am I really becoming a software purist because I am enjoying Debian? :D :) :D

golinux

Re: Recent discoveries.

#2 Post by golinux »

Ah the joy of discovering Debian. What a rush!! However, things are about to undergo MAJOR changes so the honeymoon may be short-lived. Here's another good one. If systemd can't be tamed/expunged, the BSDs will be the only remaining choice for computing freedom.
May the FORK be with you!

exploder

#3 Post by exploder »

I personally do not care for systemd. In my opinion systemd takes away from what makes Linux distributions reliable because it is not as modular as what we have now. If it's not broke why fix it? Distributions that have gone to systemd seem to load up very slow from a Live CD or DVD too. Just because Redhat promotes sytemd does not make it a good choice in my opinion. Also, with so much controversy surrounding systemd it should raise a red flag for most developers to think about it before making any decisions about adopting it.

Edit: I broke down and installed Adobe Flash... Gnash is not in the Jesse repos and I read where it might not be included because of issues. I started finding content that just would not play with the html5 player that I really wanted to watch. I guess not all YouTube videos are available in html5, dang....

buntunub

#4 Post by buntunub »

If Systemd were just another init system then it would be fine and everyone would probably love it. As it is though it is rapidly taking over everything and gobbling up major infrastructure pieces. Some upstream projects have created hard dependencies for it and I have no doubt that soon all major DEs will require it. Those who don't hop on the bandwagon will probably soon find out that none of the major Distros will be able to easily maintain them, such as Debian. See the move from XFCE to GNOME for some insight on this.

These are scary times we live in. I do not have high hopes for Linux and free software's future.