Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Using Raspberry Pi as desktop computer

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
asifnaz

Using Raspberry Pi as desktop computer

#1 Post by asifnaz »

My Desktop PC died last week . And I have no complain about it as it have served me for 4 years . Now I am thinking of using Raspberry Pi for desktop use . I have moderate usage for my desktop like Web surfing , music , Libre Office and movies etc

Any ideas how can i do that and pros and cons

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Using Raspberry Pi as desktop computer

#2 Post by Hallvor »

It is a really weak computer with very little RAM. I can think of several things to use it for, but I can't think of a scenario where I would want to use it as a desktop computer.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

andre@home

#3 Post by andre@home »

If money is the limitation.. you can buy second hand pc/latop for a fraction of the price when they are 2-3 yrs old. Such systems are many times stronger then the Pi of your question..
Look at your place to shops/website that you can rust for such 2nd hand systems.
(I bought a Dell laptop from 1400 euro after ~ 2 yrs for ~400 euros... and a min Dell laptop D430 after ~ 3yrs for <300 euros which was > 1300 euros new..).
Remember: Desktops are generally more compatible with linux than latops.. so in your case a 2nd hand desktop would be preferable.

pcalvert

#4 Post by pcalvert »

asifnaz wrote:My Desktop PC died last week . And I have no complain about it as it have served me for 4 years .
What exactly is the problem? Perhaps it would be possible to repair it.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

n_hologram

#5 Post by n_hologram »

I use mine as a console-only VPN server. It wouldn't make for an acceptable desktop replacement, but for projects it is superior.

With a GUI (LXDE, XFCE) it is painfully slow.

You may want to consider a mini itx build.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

asifnaz

#6 Post by asifnaz »

pcalvert wrote:
asifnaz wrote:My Desktop PC died last week . And I have no complain about it as it have served me for 4 years .
What exactly is the problem? Perhaps it would be possible to repair it.

Phil
It turns on . All lights lit and it shows no display no beep sound . I guess motherboard is out of order .
@ other posts...Yes money is limitation but I am also fascinated by the idea of this so small piece as a computer

edbarx

#7 Post by edbarx »

asifnaz wrote:It turns on . All lights lit and it shows no display no beep sound . I guess motherboard is out of order .
@ other posts...Yes money is limitation but I am also fascinated by the idea of this so small piece as a computer
The Raspberry Pie computer doesn't have enough power for a desktop. Do some reading before spending money unnecessarily. I think, with the same money you would spend on a Pie, you can purchase a motherboard for your desktop and you will certainly be better served.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

pcalvert

#8 Post by pcalvert »

asifnaz wrote: It turns on . All lights lit and it shows no display no beep sound . I guess motherboard is out of order .
Were there any symptoms prior to the computer's failure? Was the clock keeping time okay?

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

bodiless

#9 Post by bodiless »

It turns on . All lights lit and it shows no display no beep sound . I guess motherboard is out of order
This could be indeed a motherboard problem but also a memory one. One thing I would try first is to take out the memory sticks and try each one separately in each of the different slots.

asifnaz

#10 Post by asifnaz »

bodiless wrote:
It turns on . All lights lit and it shows no display no beep sound . I guess motherboard is out of order
This could be indeed a motherboard problem but also a memory one. One thing I would try first is to take out the memory sticks and try each one separately in each of the different slots.
I have tried this and it didn't work . But I will try it gain more carefully . And computer time was fine . It was working fine I was
doing apt-get upgrade and it freezed during it . I had no choice but to unplug and then plug it but it had the problem I mentioned .

edbarx

#11 Post by edbarx »

I remember I once had a desktop that died suddenly refusing to start. Even the BIOS was a rotting corpse. A technician told me to take a clean pencil rubber (the white type and not abrasive) and rub the contact area of the RAM modules until the contact appear cleaner. I did some rubbing for a couple of seconds and the computer is still full of life.

Do it, there is nothing to lose but be careful to take precautions against static electricity as it can destroy sensitive RAM chips.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.