Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

operating systems without systemd

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
fruitofloom

Re: operating systems without systemd

#76 Post by fruitofloom »

I would prefer to not add android to the list.

If you insist i might add it, i got no problems with that. But i will add Windows and Apple too ( ReactOS, etc).
The original idea was to offer a list of better solutions than Debian, not worse ones.

-
As far offtopic is concerned. I can't do anything against it anyway, but i also don't mind. Best info often comes from offtopic discussions (and if not info, then entertainment).iow: No need for a "sorry".
Give me convenience or give me death.

mmix

#77 Post by mmix »

unlike windows and apple, android is open source.
IMHO, android also some kind of linux distro,
only difference is GUI and framework.

--
PS:
1. android-x86 distrowatch.com rank is 15
2. IMHO, android GUI is not bad as GNOME3/unity

fruitofloom

#78 Post by fruitofloom »

"but it is open source"
holy feck, that sure is going on my nerves.
The original idea was to offer a list of better solutions than Debian, not worse ones.
Smoothang wrong grandma? (is something wrong with your grammar?).
Full sentences make reading and understanding more easy.

Linadian

#79 Post by Linadian »

fruitofloom wrote:I would prefer to not add android to the list.

If you insist i might add it, i got no problems with that. But i will add Windows and Apple too ( ReactOS, etc).

-
As far offtopic is concerned. I can't do anything against it anyway, but i also don't mind. Best info often comes from offtopic discussions (and if not info, then entertainment).iow: No need for a "sorry".
Google (Android) is worse for spyware than Ewbuntu (and Google are liars about their level of cooperation with the NSA), I can't even use my phone the way it was intended, I turn packet data on or wifi and tons of spamware and snoopware start up in the background. I know, I could root the phone and flash the ROM with a custom ROM but I don't have the time for that right now. The last fekkin thing I'm gunna put on my computer is Android. I don't even use the Google search engine anymore (mainly use DuckDuckGo and Startpage occasionally, which uses the Google engine so I tend to avoid it), I even deleted my Youtube (owned by Google) account, etc, I un-Googled my life. Same goes for Snoopbook (Facebook), dumped that too, Mark Suckerberg can get rich off other sheeples, not me.

Now back to topic, lol. Stella (CentOS 6.6) is a solid choice but aging fast (CentOS 7 is virusd infested too, btw, so stay away), me thinks my next trial will be a test install of Salix Xfce on a single HDD with my old machine, it that goes OK, I'll most likely split up the 2 SSDs and use 1 in each machine as the OS drives.

Edit: The irony of Stella is it's based on CentOS (pre virusd), which is actually a 'community' version Redhat Enterprise Linux, the very people behind virusd. :shock: :roll: :lol:

Edit 2: I thought my distro hopping days were over when I finally fully learned Debian, the mother of all distros, I'm not at all happy I'm right back to 'square one". This time, I'm far more experienced, so picking a new distro will be quicker and more painless. USB installations are a bit of a hassle so I find it easier to burn to optical media, my computer area garbage can is filling with dead disks, lol.
Linux Registered User 533946

mmix

#80 Post by mmix »

firefox-os
https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/B2G
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_OS

firefox os for Raspberry Pi
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Fxos_on_RaspberryPi

firefox os using some part of AOSP(Android Open Source Project)

my phone is flame phone which is based on firefox os
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Fir ... uide/Flame

--
PS: yeah, android is may be unsafe, but it is open source
firefox os using it, and,
at least, android/firefox-os free from lock-down feature like GNOME/unity/systemd/uefi.
Last edited by mmix on 2014-11-10 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

Linadian

#81 Post by Linadian »

Here's an interesting blog, My perfect distro: Salix 14.1, or should I say a review by somebody much like ourselves, seasoned Linux users but not Linux IT professionals. He (she?) rants on about virtualbox/vagrant for a bit, just skip over that part, all in all this person's review (blog) mirrored my experience, Salix 14.1 (Xfce for me, they offer other DEs) looks like a keeper. It's pretty much the same as Debhat, you get too creative 'outside of the box', expect problems. If Sourcery says you need a dependency from Gslapt, install it, then try your Sourcery app install again, it's that simple. Salix (Slackware) has deep roots in the traditional Linux way of doing things, and it looks like it will stay that way for years to come, unlike the Franken-buntu-hat Debian is becoming (virusd + future kernel maintenance by Ubuntu devs).

Distrowatch live Xfce version release story here.

Boot up the live disk, kick the tires, see if Salix likes your hardware, apparently it's pre-configured for wifi too, so Salix would be a good distro for some laptops/netbooks as well, fast and light on resources, possibly even lighter on resources than a Debhat Xfce install.

My Debhat divorce party continues... :wink: 8) :mrgreen:

Major edit: I got confused which installer was which, it was the Stella installer that was solid, pretty and bug free, it even installed to my old machine's 4 HDD fakeraid. It seems there are two versions of Salix 14.1, one is a live disk but the 'installer' on that disk appears to only copy the live image to a drive. If you want a full blown (proper) Salix install, there's a 14.1 installer version. Speaking of that, I used an old Korora live disk (based on Fedora 20) to create a 4 HDD LVM (un-fakeraided, etc) for a Salix install attempt, oddly enough, the live Salix disk 'saw' it in Thunar, and I could even write to it but the Salix installer disk hated it, it saw it but hated it. I'm scratching my head and zeroing out the first of 4 HDDs as I'm typing this, it's so polluted after fakeraid, FreeBSD (UFS), LVM, etc, etc. I'm starting to wonder if my old machine is getting a little flakey, inconsistency and erratic behaviour are clues, I think I may have built the new machine just in time, phew. BTW, some proprietary bootable disk management utilities like Seagate's DiscWizard 11.x claimed there was NO Seagates in the machine after I aborted the FreeBSD install (4 HDD fakeraid), even though the lone storage drive still had an NTFS partition and data on it, now that's really weird, I did manage to fix the problem, but I'm experienced with this, a wannabe would have chucked all five HDDs in the garbage, lol.

In other news...I was fooling around in Salix live again, you can have Gslpat, Sourcery and run the updater ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Let's see anybody try that in Debhat, lol, only one apt process at a time, or you get slapt, lol. I am really loving Salix out of all of them, it's burning my ass I can't get it on the fakeraid or LVM, most likely I have to create the LVM with one of the Salix disks, now if Salix had Stella's installer, it would be a perfect world.

Multiple edits for spelling and grammar, I screw up a lot when I get tired, blech.
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-11-10 16:06, edited 4 times in total.

rhy7s

#83 Post by rhy7s »

Linadian wrote: ... USB installations are a bit of a hassle so I find it easier to burn to optical media, my computer area garbage can is filling with dead disks, lol.
You could see if Easy2Boot works with your ISOs

fruitofloom

#84 Post by fruitofloom »

My idea was really to offer possible alternatives for Debian,
not to post about the most weird solutions ever found for a desktop/laptop.

If one wants to give such solutions, one should at least discuss why one would want to use it.

I for one stick to my possible solutions
Gentoo or Gentoo based
Slackware or Slackware based
BSD

Pretty sure i already posted why i consider them to be good alternatives to debian
(in short they are not obscure).
I can't comment on Solaris and Solaris based, but am quite sure i'd find damn good reasons not to use it, if i would investigate.

Again:
What i am looking for is a solution for the problem that Debian switched to systemd.
Else i am the last one not willing to give odd OS'es a try ( say hackintosh). But it doesn't help much for this problem.
If someone wants something like that added to the list, then he will have to give the *detailed* reasons why it is a good *long-time* solution.

fruitofloom

#85 Post by fruitofloom »

Don't get me wrong. Post and discuss whatever you want.
But if *i* add something to the list, then *i* must have a most basic understanding *why* it is a good alternative.
Else, as far it's me, the whole list is useless, regarding the problem. Just a list of operating systems, which leaves the lonesome ex-debian-user just as lonesome as he was before.

And the list already is like that. Way too confused, that is: tmi.
I am not too happy with the result.

Linadian

#86 Post by Linadian »

fruitofloom wrote:Don't get me wrong. Post and discuss whatever you want.
But if *i* add something to the list, then *i* must have a most basic understanding *why* it is a good alternative.
Else, as far it's me, the whole list is useless, regarding the problem. Just a list of operating systems, which leaves the lonesome ex-debian-user just as lonesome as he was before.

And the list already is like that. Way too confused, that is: tmi.
I am not too happy with the result.
I would have to say the frontrunners in order of goodness (ease of use, support and stability):

Salix (Xfce version, for seasoned users) and PCLinuxOS (KDE version, good for n00bs) are tied for 1st place, Salix will have more up-to-date software though,
Stella gets second place because its very well put together, very solid, will install on your grandma's old rotary dial phone, lol, but the base OS (CentOS 6.6) and software are getting old (security updates until 2020 though!),
PC-BSD (KDE) gets 3rd place, a BSD base may be a little too exotic for some people, but stick to the native DE (KDE), the Xfce version kinda sucked,
FreeBSD is good for a distant 4th place, good documentation, but again, very exotic under the hood, you literally have to stitch it together by hand, but solid as a rock when it's done.

I'm not going to comment on the others, haven't tried them, but the distros I did mention, I can honestly say I've tried them. These are just my opinions, feel free to kick the tires on what I mentioned, you'll see what I'm talking about. I would love hear about the others in the OP's list if anybody has tried them.

Here's a funny tidbit, when I was shutting down live Korora (Fedora 20 + virusd) after creating an LVM with Disks, it was taking a long time, so I hit the Escape key to see what was going on, it seems virusd was having trouble ending some obscure "user 1000" process, what a f%#king POS software, I can't run far enough away from it. Now we know why everybody is switching to GUI boots and shutdowns, to hide stalling and puking virusd, lol. :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-11-10 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

ShalokShalom

#87 Post by ShalokShalom »

I post these Links, because only everybody self can know, what is fine for itself.

Pisi use the imho interesting PiSi Package Manager, with Delta Support and Rollback function. (like snapper, just with the PMS)
It is the continuation from the former independ Pardus, which is now now debian based, financed from the turkey goverment.
The translations into other languages seems to be backward.

When you are fine with BSD, you are fine with Solaris. SmartOS is a genius OS for Virtualisation, imho.

I am fine with systemd, if that would be different, i think i would choose Salix or the forked Jessie. :)

fruitofloom

#88 Post by fruitofloom »

I added Pisi.
I made a note that there are more Solaris based solutions then Indiana, i might go through the last couple of pages and add them (later).

If someone is willing to create a quick list of all Solaris based solutions, i will simply insert that list. tia.

edit: Feck me, just to be done with it i will add firefoxOS and android too. I see no point in them ... but that is me. Perhaps i am wrong.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#89 Post by oswaldkelso »

I was chatting on freenode #debianfork and they asked me to post these links

https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=14080.0
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=17585.0

freenode #manjaro-openrc
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Linadian

#90 Post by Linadian »

Change of plan/strategy with my old machine, which is now a multiple physical disk test-box (4 OS HDDs, 1 shared NTFS storage HDD, NTFS is so if I ever have to rip the drive out and read it with a Windhose machine). Using the BIOS F12 key to pick which drive to boot from, that way each disk/OS will have its own native bootloader.

sda=Salix (already installed and running, installation was smooth and simple, used the Salix64 Xfce 14.1 DVD ISO (x86_64, 64-bit), not the live version. Forgot to steal the wired network cable from gf's computer so I had to config it myself, my fault, Salix is fast, clean and beautiful, I going out on a limb and saying I love it more than Debian, it feels more stable and it's faster, I'm really loving Gslapt and Sourcery too, those two tools are creating a bridge for dummies like me to run a Slackware based Linux. It's fantastic on a normal setup=>a single dedicated drive, if you want to get fancy with multiple physical drives LVM or fakeraid, expect problems. Compared to Debian, Salix is skinny, seriously, Debian has become somewhat bloated in comparison)

sdb=PCLinuxOS Edit (again, sigh): NOT going with the 'regular' KDE or Mini-me KDE version afterall , decided to try the Mate and LXDE versions on this drive (or LXDE on the wildcard drive), I've been hating over-engineered KDE for a while now and I'm addicted to gtk. :roll: (to be installed, I used PCLinuxOS years ago as my standalone OS so I'm very familiar with it, there'll be no surprises, plenty of apps and generally stable. Did you know PCLinuxOS is a 'rolling' distro? This is a plus for me, getting sick of so many installs, complete upgrades. FYI, DVDStyler, DeVeDe and Bombono are available in the PCLinuxOS repo!)

sdc=PC-BSD (to be installed, version 10.0.3 because it's their latest stable, they're working on 10.1 release candidates now, I'm doing this on purpose to see if it updates to 10.1 seamlessly from 10.0.3, will also be using KDE for this too because it's their default DE)

sdd=wildcard (this is an empty drive for future possible Debhat replacements, an empty testing ground or transient OSes)

sde=NTFS shared storage drive (It will be interesting to see how each OS handles this drive, permissions, mounting, etc)

The good news is, there's life beyond Debhat, the bad news is I'll miss Debian, it's like losing a hot gf for a stupid reason, lol. :wink:

Edit: A couple of screenshots of adventures in Salix land...
Thunar showing the HDDs...

Check out the multimedia in the lower left corner (click on the image after it loads to go full size)...
I'm having a little trouble installing DVDStyler but that's no big deal, I prefer DeVeDe and Bombono anyway, I'm sure there's a fix somewhere (it's not available in Wheezy anyway, phht). You need to use Sourcery to install most non-free, multimedia, etc, if you get a fail, read the error output message or the error log (you'll find the answer at the end of the log) for what file(s) to install to satisfy dependencies, they were mostly auto-compiler files that were missing. It's not really a huge learning curve, I'm having a blast. Rule #1 in Salix, check Gslapt first for an app package binary, if it's not there, search in Sourcery. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-11-13 07:07, edited 3 times in total.

fruitofloom

#91 Post by fruitofloom »

Thanks.
I think of giving Salix a try for a few days now.
Gentoo keeps me busy enough, so neither Slackware nor any of the BSD's is an option right now.
Also looking more close at refracta-with-sysv (which, as far its me, isn't much work, as i know Debian, close to "in-and-out". At least what i have to do daily).
Hence Salix might take a few days, weeks or even months ...

Linadian

#92 Post by Linadian »

fruitofloom wrote:Thanks.
I think of giving Salix a try for a few days now.
Gentoo keeps me busy enough, so neither Slackware nor any of the BSD's is an option right now.
Also looking more close at refracta-with-sysv (which, as far its me, isn't much work, as i know Debian, close to "in-and-out". At least what i have to do daily).
Hence Salix might take a few days, weeks or even months ...
The main reason I am doing all that stuff is so others that come to this thread see it's possible to dump Debhat. Ever hear of the 'comfortable shoe' syndrome? That's where you are in a relationship and you know you should get out but you don't because it feels like a comfortable pair of warm slippers, until those slippers give you toenail fungus, lol. If Debhat decides to adopt a CHOICE policy again, I'll consider coming back.

dzz

#93 Post by dzz »

The latest Exe GNU/Linux is (~99% current) Debian Jessie with Trinity Desktop.. *systemd* is excluded.

http://exegnulinux.net/downloads/jessie/

fruitofloom

#94 Post by fruitofloom »

dzz wrote:The latest Exe GNU/Linux is (~99% current) Debian Jessie with Trinity Desktop.. *systemd* is excluded.

http://exegnulinux.net/downloads/jessie/
Duh ...stupid me.
added.

Job

#95 Post by Job »

So you clowns are abandoning ship? Is that it? Debian for me.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD