Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

operating systems without systemd

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
schnuller

Re: operating systems without systemd

#211 Post by schnuller »

mardybear wrote:
runfrodorun wrote:
Now if we can find operating systems that don't have pulseaudio too I'd be super happy.
Tiny Core, Linux from Scratch, probably Puppy Linux.
I wouldn't bet, still didn't get my head into emerge and equery, but i think Gentoo can be added to the list:

Code: Select all

user$ equery list alsa-utils
 * Searching for alsa-utils ...
[IP-] [  ] media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.28:0.9
user$ equery list pulseaudio
!!! No installed packages matching 'pulseaudio'
 * Searching for pulseaudio ...
user$ 
(If Gentoo can be added, Funtoo can be added too. And what else is based on Gentoo. I think gnu.org lists a free distro ... ).

mean_dean

#212 Post by mean_dean »

does any distro require pulseaudio?

mardybear

#213 Post by mardybear »

mean_dean wrote:
does any distro require pulseaudio?
Probably not...maybe some gaming or multimedia distributions - don't know. But i do know Pulseaudio can be difficult to strip out of a system, so for me easier to use a distribution that doesn't have it pre-installed.

Interesting quotes from the Debian wiki, with parallels to systemd:
The sound stack in Linux has been the weakest link in Linux-as-a-desktop, and documentation on the web is often conflicting, out-of-date and dispiriting. Part of the problem is that pulseaudio was released before it was ready. The good news is that as of wheezy it pretty much works as advertised.
ALSA was working pretty well until the push to use pulse audio - pulseaudio was somewhat of a mess in squeeze.
Source: https://wiki.debian.org/Sound

and from: http://tuxradar.com/content/how-it-work ... -explained :
There's a problem with the state of Linux audio, and it's not that it doesn't always work. The issue is that it's overcomplicated. This soon becomes evident if you sit down with a piece of paper and try to draw the relationships between the technologies involved with taking audio from a music file to your speakers: the diagram soon turns into a plate of knotted spaghetti. This is a failure because there's nothing intrinsically more complicated about audio than any other technology. It enters your Linux box at one point and leaves at another.
...sounds eerily familiar to the current state of Linux.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

schnuller

#214 Post by schnuller »

But i do know Pulseaudio can be difficult to strip out of a system, so for me easier to use a distribution that doesn't have it pre-installed.
You can easily install Debian without pulseaudio pre-installed.

As far it is me, the way i have used and installed Debian, it would be the default (assuming the word default makes any sense when it comes to debian. It doesn't).
(it would have been the same way for many others. But there is a change in culture, it seems).

Linadian

#215 Post by Linadian »

I just had to share this, a guy on twitter in this tweet claims this is from an actual Redhat slideshow presentation!

Here's another funny from twitter...
Linux Registered User 533946

golinux

#216 Post by golinux »

Linadian wrote:I just had to share this, a guy on twitter in this tweet claims this is from an actual Redhat slideshow presentation!
It was indeed from a Red Hat summit presentation in 2014. I think those are on pages 5 and 6. The link was posted to one of the Devuan irc channels a few days ago. Nothing that those of us who are awake didn't already know.
May the FORK be with you!

Linadian

#217 Post by Linadian »

golinux wrote:Nothing that those of us who are awake didn't already know.
I don't travel in Redhat circles, I only just stumbled on it now, and I've never seen it on this forum, so excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuze me. I'm going back to 'sleep' now. :roll:

golinux

#218 Post by golinux »

Linadian wrote:
I don't travel in Redhat circles, I only just stumbled on it now, and I've never seen it on this forum, so excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuze me. I'm going back to 'sleep' now. :roll:
Jeesh! You totally misread my intention. I meant that those of us who are awake know we're being Borged. I accept your apology. ;)

bluecardigan

#219 Post by bluecardigan »

Anyone want fries with that elitism?

Linadian

#220 Post by Linadian »

golinux wrote:
Linadian wrote:
Jeesh! You totally misread my intention. I meant that those of us who are awake know we're being Borged. I accept your apology. ;)
Just goes to show you can't judge the tone of text on a screen without a human voice tone to go with it. My curmudgeon pissy self apologizes, it's not you, it's me, the world sucks now and I hate it, I'm far too sensitive. I primarily posted them for the humour aspect, as for the blind sheep that will swallow any garbage (systemd, political spin, etc) that's spoon fed to them, there's no helping them so I give up. This is me quietly backing away...*boop boop boop*.

golinux

#221 Post by golinux »

Linadian . . . no problem. You do not have a corner on the pissy market. ;) And yes the world sucks by definition but that does not translate into a lifetime of misery. Maybe the weekend will clear the clouds . . .

edbarx

#222 Post by edbarx »

I am also another user who is dissatisfied with the modernisation of OSs, especially, making them capable of changing important system components or settings without my knowledge.

For all those who wished me good luck in my medical tests, I would like to say that till this moment, nothing serious has been found. However, I am still being investigated for cancer although the probability of it being found are now lower.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

goulo

#223 Post by goulo »

edbarx wrote:For all those who wished me good luck in my medical tests, I would like to say that till this moment, nothing serious has been found. However, I am still being investigated for cancer although the probability of it being found are now lower.
That's good news! I hope the future tests continue to show you're doing OK.

(I had an old friend die of cancer last year, and a close relative dealing with cancer, so your posts a while back about this struck a chord with me and stayed in my thoughts.)

Job

#224 Post by Job »

edbarx wrote:I am also another user who is dissatisfied with the modernisation of OSs, especially, making them capable of changing important system components or settings without my knowledge.

For all those who wished me good luck in my medical tests, I would like to say that till this moment, nothing serious has been found. However, I am still being investigated for cancer although the probability of it being found are now lower.
Before the other thread got shut down, I didn't get a chance to write a word. Wishing you all the best in your fight. No doubt you will come out looking good.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

golinux

#225 Post by golinux »

@edbarx . . . your absence has been noted. Almost pm'd you yesterday. Welcome back!

A_T

#226 Post by A_T »

I just updated Sid and grub gave the options to boot Debian or Debian (systemd).

I chose the former and the command

cat /proc/1/comm
returns

init

Linadian

#227 Post by Linadian »

Now THIS is an interesting tweet, check out the tweeters profile, this guy is no tinfoil hat. I just wish I could read German, the linked article looks interesting.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#228 Post by oswaldkelso »

No It's not.
In a (as always with Poettering systemd appearances) impossibly overcrowded space systemd mastermind and Red Hat developer Lennart Poettering announced at the FOSDEM 2015 demolition of the systemd history of last year, told of the most important innovations and announced UEFI Boot mechanism integration in the near future.

"You will hate me for it, I know, but I think it's so great, what we're doing here!" - With these words the controversial systemd developer Lennart Poettering presented in the Developer Room H.1302 FOSDEM 2015, the most important innovation of recent and upcoming systemd agenda: the integration of UEFI certificates and a complete chain of trust is because all Above: "We will integrate into systemd rubber boat I want no one else on my Fedora have, let's kick out Microsoft and the NSA.."
Fedora, systemd monoculture will not be locked down by Microsoft or NSA even though they pay Microsoft for their first boot key.... Makes me feel so safe
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Linadian

#229 Post by Linadian »

A_T wrote:I just updated Sid and grub gave the options to boot Debian or Debian (systemd).

I chose the former and the command

cat /proc/1/comm
returns

init
Well that's interesting, hopefully that's an option, skip right over systemd infested Jessie and head straight to Sid. Maybe the Debhats have been noticing the exodus and are smelling the coffee. Personally. I don't need this roller-coaster ride, or an NSA friendly init, I'm still going PCLinuxOS, I know I keep saying that, I just have to get around to it, tear down the SSD Raid, format the drives, disconnect one SSD to save as backup hardware, etc, et-f%#@ing-cetera, more pain in the @$$ than meets the eye, but it will be done. :?

Ibidem

#230 Post by Ibidem »

There's a pre-alpha iso of devuan that's been mentioned on the list. At this point it's ~Debian with sysvinit preinstalled (still partly infected, but Xfce as default DE), but they've rebuilt util-linux without systemd:
http://packages.devuan.org/devuan/pool/ ... til-linux/

I've pointed my sources.list over there and added their keyring, but it seems it's not yet fully set up:

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.devuan.org/devuan/dists/jessie/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

W: Failed to fetch http:/packages.devuan.org/devuan/dists/jessie/Release.gpg  Unable to connect to :http:

W: Failed to fetch http:/packages.devuan.org/devuan/dists/jessie/main/source/Sources  Unable to connect to :http:
Thinkpad X100e/Debian Squeeze (All reposiories enabled)/Linux 3.4.11:
1GB RAM/1.6GHz Neo X2/ATI HD 3200/RTL8191SEVA2 wlan0, RTL8169 eth0