Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

operating systems without systemd

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
golinux

Re: operating systems without systemd

#181 Post by golinux »

This just posted on the Devuan list:
Hello Devuan people :)
My name is Dragan, from Serbia, and i would like to present our TRIOS GNU/Linux distro based on Debian Jessie, without systemd.

Full xfce desktop, lightdm display manager, OpenRC init etc ... and not a single package from "aliend factory" ;)
Pure debian distro, with our settings.

Our repository(*):
http://mirror.org.rs
-----------
wget -qO - http://mirror.org.rs/mirror.org.rs.gpg.key | apt-key add -
echo "deb http://mirror.org.rs/trios/ mia main non-systemd" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/trios-non-systemd.list
-----------
(*)Big THANKS to Mr. Adam Borowski for taking the time to make this possible :)

Our forum:
http://www.foss.rs

thread about non-systemd TRIOS, with some screenshots and terminal output
http://www.foss.rs/topic/3015-trios-a4sa-i-bez-systemd

Unfortunately, for now only in Serbian, but I hope there will be more members
from other countries, so that we can also write in English.

In the next few days we will publish full live iso version, with our custom installer.
In the meantime, you can try the previous version(systemd-only)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensourcesrbija-trios

Regards, and welcome to the free world

Dragan
May the FORK be with you!

jaketate

#182 Post by jaketate »

golinux wrote:
... present our TRIOS GNU/Linux distro based on Debian Jessie, without systemd.
But not without systemd libs and udev so not a solution I am interested in.

golinux

#183 Post by golinux »

jaketate wrote:
golinux wrote:
... present our TRIOS GNU/Linux distro based on Debian Jessie, without systemd.
But not without systemd libs and udev so not a solution I am interested in.
I'm with you on that. Proves you need to read the fine print . . .

Randicus

#184 Post by Randicus »

Operating systems without systemd:
Windows
Mac OSX
:twisted:

schnuller

#185 Post by schnuller »

Both are already listed.

mean_dean

#186 Post by mean_dean »

golinux wrote:... and i would like to present our TRIOS GNU/Linux distro based on Debian Jessie, without systemd.
The openrc internal testing version looks really good. Right now you have to register on the forums and send them a PM to get the download link but it is worth it. I think they plan to go public with it in a few days though.

It has the official meandean seal of approval!

Linadian

#187 Post by Linadian »

Fortunately I had the luxury of 'test' installing PCLinuxOS MATE on my old machine (to sell it, times are tough, I need the money, the ad I made to sell my old computer says it has PCLinuxOS installed and priced to reflect NO Windows, the buyer can pay the M$ 'tax' if they want to). I was able to 'transfer' all the tips and tricks I picked up over the years about Debian and Linux in general, PCLinuxOS is rpm based but the fundamentals are the same, a little tweak here and a little tweak there and Bob's yer uncle (I'm fussy, I like $#1+ to work and look how I like it). I'm now ready to do a 'prime-time' install on my new machine. FYI, the PCLinuxOS repo may seem small in comparison to Debian's by shear numbers but it's like all the old legacy and useless apps the Debian repos have have been weeded out and omitted, it's a pleasure to surf mostly modern and usable apps. Oh, one more bonus, the 2014.12 version of PCLinuxOS sports the 3.18.1 kernel, it 'feels' snappy, modern and stable. If you do install the MATE version, do yourself a favour and uninstall qt-update-notifier, it's annoying as hell, while you're in there, 'install' task-pulseaudio-remove, it had no ill effects and worked like a charm, alsa works just fine without it, you can re-enable the desktop login sound by editing the Mate login sound option command in Startup, e.g.,

Code: Select all

play <directory>/<soundfilename>
On an offtopic note, I phoned one of my favourite computer stores to gauge the pricing of used systems, I asked the sales dude if they could REMOVE Windows (installed and license only, no install/recovery media included) from an advertised used system to lower the price, he said "oh no, we can't do that, Windows is worked in to the price, that's the way they're sold" (which is stupid because they have an UNLIMITED mass retailer license anyway), I said "oh well, too bad, you just lost a sale", I wasn't really in the market to buy, I just wanted to rub it in, lol, I'm sick of monopolies and $#1++y corporations controlling the marketplace. :twisted:
Linux Registered User 533946

buntunub

#188 Post by buntunub »

Randicus wrote:Operating systems without systemd:
Windows
Mac OSX
Well.. Yeah.. but Windows has svchost!

NkfzGx3ok

#189 Post by NkfzGx3ok »

buntunub wrote:
Randicus wrote:Operating systems without systemd:
Windows
Mac OSX
Well.. Yeah.. but Windows has svchost!
...and OSX has launchd!

mean_dean

#190 Post by mean_dean »

fruitofloom wrote: Debian based:
Trios openrc testing version - http://www.foss.rs/topic/3036-trios-ope ... rnal-test/

Also you can use their repo packages to make your debian install free of systemd.

schnuller

#191 Post by schnuller »

Thanks for the info.
The OP can't be edited anymore.
I've been in (on ?) holiday and missed the whole Trios incident.

I for one stick to my original point: either gentoo or slackware or a BSD version. And if i would want to stay with Debian, i would go for kFreeBSD.
At least for now.
(If i wanted to be the beta-tester of an OS, i would go straight for Windows. If i have to do shitloads of work to install and remove packages, i can go straight for gentoo - which, in the end, isn't much work, but mainly a question of time for the installation . Last but not least: if i wanted to talk to fanboys and idiots, i would pick Ubuntu, Mint, Crunchbang or Mepis).
None of the other proposals has convinced me yet.

Job

#192 Post by Job »

I am enjoying gNewSense on a spare machine and I have to say this is probably what Debian should have been, mean and simple.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

mardybear

#193 Post by mardybear »

Thanks for reviving the thread Job - don't need to forum search :)

Tiny Core is my present favourite. Uses busybox and can just run Xvesa if desired. Of course Xorg is also available plus many other applications to custom build your system. Running FLTK window manager boots up in seconds and uses a whopping 20MB ram! Opening an aterm, fluff file manager and an editor still uses <25 MB ram. Very responsive and great fun...

To each his/her own but to me this is what computing should be...modular, lean, functional with minimal eye candy and no Meta packages, Desktop Environments or systemd. A default base install does not even include alsa or pulseaudio. YMMV but various graphic and wireless drivers, Alsa, Cups, Samba, etc are all available and so is heavier software if desired (Xfce, LXDE, libreoffice...).

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/intro.html
The Core Project is a highly modular based system with community build extensions.

It starts with a recent Linux kernel, vmlinuz 3.0, and a 5MB core.gz. MicroCore 8MB is simply the kernel + core.gz - this is the foundation for user created desktops, servers, or appliances. TinyCore is simply the kernel + core.gz + Xvesa.tcz|Xorg.tcz + Xprogs +fltk-1.3.tcz + (user's choice of Window Manager) + wbar.tcz

TinyCore becomes simply an example of what the Core Project can produce, an 12MB FLTK/FLWM desktop.

CorePlus ofers a simple way to get started using the Core philosophy with its included community packaged extensions enabling easy embedded frugal or pendrive installation of the user's choice of supported desktop, while maintaining the Core principal of mounted extensions with full package management.

It is not a complete desktop nor is all hardware completely supported. It represents only the core needed to boot into a very minimal X desktop typically with wired internet access.

The user has complete control over which applications and/or additional hardware to have supported, be it for a desktop, a netbook, an appliance, or server, selectable by the user by installing additional applications from online repositories, or easily compiling most anything you desire using tools provided.
OP: is the alternatives list on post #1 still being updated? IMO Tiny Core and Puppy Linux are valid alternatives. Unfortunately nothing will probably ever beat Debian for package availability.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

schnuller

#194 Post by schnuller »

The list isn't getting updated anymore because the user lost his password and changed his username.
Puppy is in the list, tinyCore isn't.
I guess or hope the OP list is sufficient, else feel free to copy it and update it.

golinux

#195 Post by golinux »

schnuller aka fruitoftheloom, nadir (and many others) you really need to keep better track of such things. ;) Don't you ever tire of this multiple personality disorder thing?

schnuller

#196 Post by schnuller »

:-)

I am fine with the multiple personality disorder problem.
I should get more calm and not delete useraccounts in a fury (but, the bad news, i can't see that happen). Or delete them and then really stay away.

Probably really makes sense to copy the list, insert what is missing ...
I haven't seen the list would be that big, btw. I assumed it would be a couple of distros only (doesn't give me much hope for the future, but as of now no-systemd is not that much of a problem).

goulo

#197 Post by goulo »

Job wrote:I am enjoying gNewSense on a spare machine and I have to say this is probably what Debian should have been, mean and simple.
I had not heard of this one before.
At gnewsense.org, it looks like it installs Gnome by default? So it doesn't seem particularly aimed at avoiding systemd (or being mean and simple), unless I'm missing something?

keithpeter

#198 Post by keithpeter »

goulo wrote:
Job wrote:I am enjoying gNewSense on a spare machine and I have to say this is probably what Debian should have been, mean and simple.
At gnewsense.org, it looks like it installs Gnome by default? So it doesn't seem particularly aimed at avoiding systemd (or being mean and simple), unless I'm missing something?
gNewSense is basically Debian with a freed kernel (no binary blobs or prop. firmware). The main 'selling point' is that it runs on the Yelong MIPS based netbooks (completely free BIOS) as well as Intel arch.

gNewSense is a version behind Debian. gNewSense 3.x ('Parkes') is basically Squeeze recompiled (FSF rules say that a 'fully free' distro must be self-building). The current gNewSense 4.0 alpha ('Ucclia') is basically Wheezy with just the main repo and no binary blobs or prop. kernel code. The default will install Gnome, but many use lighter wm based desktops. The *packages* that have built in the alpha work fine (I have it on my test laptop) but the 'alphaness' is to do with dependencies and getting certain key packages (e.g. iceweasel) to build. The gnewsense-dev and gnewsense-users mailing lists are where the action is. There are archives of those lists a Google away.

systemd removal is not so far as I'm aware a goal for gNewSense, which, I imagine will track Debian fairly closely. Sam Geeraerts (sole developer) is hoping to 'catch up' with Debian stable in stages as time allows.

http://sohcahtoa.org.uk/pages/gNewSense.html for more.

Job

#199 Post by Job »

keithpeter wrote:
goulo wrote:
gNewSense is basically Debian with a freed kernel (no binary blobs or prop. firmware). The main 'selling point' is that it runs on the Yelong MIPS based netbooks (completely free BIOS) as well as Intel arch.

gNewSense is a version behind Debian. gNewSense 3.x ('Parkes') is basically Squeeze recompiled (FSF rules say that a 'fully free' distro must be self-building). The current gNewSense 4.0 alpha ('Ucclia') is basically Wheezy with just the main repo and no binary blobs or prop. kernel code. The default will install Gnome, but many use lighter wm based desktops. The *packages* that have built in the alpha work fine (I have it on my test laptop) but the 'alphaness' is to do with dependencies and getting certain key packages (e.g. iceweasel) to build. The gnewsense-dev and gnewsense-users mailing lists are where the action is. There are archives of those lists a Google away.

systemd removal is not so far as I'm aware a goal for gNewSense, which, I imagine will track Debian fairly closely. Sam Geeraerts (sole developer) is hoping to 'catch up' with Debian stable in stages as time allows.

http://sohcahtoa.org.uk/pages/gNewSense.html for more.
The DE is Gnome 2.x which is a welcome home for me. I just don't know how long they will keep Gnome 2 around at least I feel at home. No unnecessary clicks here.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

Job

#200 Post by Job »

golinux wrote:schnuller aka fruitoftheloom, nadir (and many others) you really need to keep better track of such things. ;) Don't you ever tire of this multiple personality disorder thing?
I never knew nadir was schnuller :shock: . Now that Deutsche intonation makes sense.
#aptitude install life
Debian 12 - FreeBSD