Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is this the right place to discuss a Debian related project?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
BinaryBlob

Is this the right place to discuss a Debian related project?

#1 Post by BinaryBlob »

If this is not the right place... any recommended forums would be appreciated.

I've been developing a site on WAPP... Windows, Apache, PHP and Postgres... and a few other specialized servers.

Its almost time to buy the Linux TEST SERVER... I'm thinking a powerful Tyan MB running Debian.
This site is going to be data intensive so this box will have a software RAID 10 thing going... full redundancy on DB and on USER data...
The TEST BOX will go online and BETA tested to toughen up the software, do load tests and debug etc

Then it will be time to make the UNIVERSAL POWER DEBIAN BOX... an even more powerful multiprocessor box with 130 TB of disk.
This ALL IN ONE BOX MONSTER BOX then needs to be plugged into a fast COLOCATION backbone... I am told Romania is a good place to host, but I don't know for sure
The MONSTER BOX is the "start up" box... its the NFS, DB, WEB SERVER... ALL IN ONE... and the idea is that its powerful enough to cater for about 200,000 users.

Now if this idea does prove to have merit and it does work out... then the system gets split into its specialized parts... all Debian based.
Namely... dedicated WEB SERVERS behind a APACHE (Debian) LOAD SHARING machine.
Dedicated DEBIAN NFS system that must be capable of massive disk space... RAID 10... LVM etc
Dedicated DB POOL server and Postgres Mirrored DB servers behind it.

People ask me what it is and I say its a Facebook for Business... but its not really anything like Facebook... its just a creative concoction that I have been working on and it seems to be turning out nicely... possibly another three months before I have pulled all the software together into a cohesive bundle nicely.

My problem is I'm wearing too many hats... and wont be able to do it all... I also have logistic problems... like the Hosting is going to be on the other side of the world, and software development is in Argentina, and the Biz end will be somewhere else... too many hats... so I'm going to need help.

I've never tackled anything this big before... and the design which I hope I'm getting all right is very much about testing the market on the smallest system possible... but always able to go to that next expansion step quickly.

Now what I'm looking for is a place to talk about the project as it goes along... the natural next step would be spec'ing a mean TEST server... and there will be tons of back and forth chatting about how I'm setting up the RAID and all the rest... and I'm hoping people will get involved...
I'm hoping to meet good DEBIAN people in different locations... and in the respective areas that I will need.

And then see how far I can get this... with their help.

I'd want to start a thread called something like PROJECT BEHEMOTH... and see how far this gets... the BIZ FACEBOOK for want of a better analogy.

Let me know if this is OK in this forum... Thank You...
BOB (Binary Blob)