Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

vista sale! huge sale ???

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
gillbates

vista sale! huge sale ???

#1 Post by gillbates »

"I've been waiting and waiting, and I've been using my personal laptop for work -- it's not working well," he said.

"This is a big deal for me. I'll hopefully get the better performance that I need, and I won't have to go through the trouble of upgrading later."

from http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/01/3 ... index.html

i thought people in the IT field have heard of Linux. :lol:

Poor guy. He just bought his guillotine !!! :shock:

hcgtv

#2 Post by hcgtv »

All day, I've been hearing that there wasn't that much of a turnout.

I don't want to bash Windows, cause I do use XP, but Vista feels like another ME fiasco.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

garrincha

Re: vista sale! huge sale ???

#3 Post by garrincha »

From bbc.co.uk:
Prices for the OS in the UK range from about £100 for an upgrade version of the Basic package to £249 for a copy of the upgrade to the Ultimate version of Vista.

In the US prices start from $100 (£52) for an upgrade of Vista Home basic to $249 (£127) for the equivalent Ultimate version.
=================
VISTA PC SPECIFICATIONS
VISTA CAPABLE
800MHz processor
512Mb memory
DirectX9 capable graphics processor
PREMIUM READY
1Ghz processor
1Gb memory
128Mb graphics memory
40Gb hard drive
DVD-ROM
Internet access
I don't mind these stuffs, but £100 for a basic package is frigging day-light robbery!
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

ghostdawg

#4 Post by ghostdawg »

Alot of big companies will probably wait awhile before installing vista. Maybe after a couple of service packs are so.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

Grifter

#5 Post by Grifter »

Don't worry, ms will figure out ways for you to pay the ms tax anyhoo, maybe in a few years they'll have trained BSA thugs knocking at your door telling you to pay up because "...things burn..."
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

hellfire[bg]

#6 Post by hellfire[bg] »

i thought people in the IT field have heard of Linux. Laughing
Actually he said:
"I've been waiting and waiting, and I've been using my personal laptop for work -- it's not working well," he said.

"This is a big deal for me. I'll hopefully get the better performance that I need, and I won't have to go through the trouble of upgrading later."
I fail to see the logic - his laptop hasn`t been working well with microsoft`s products yet he is still quite comfortable giving 100$ or more for another microsoft product...
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

Dargor

#7 Post by Dargor »

i went to town today and not one of the stores i visited had a vista display, they had it boxed and xp machines running but no vista. I was going to make sure they didnt screw up minesweeper :)

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#8 Post by mzilikazi »

ghostdawg wrote:Alot of big companies will probably wait awhile before installing vista. Maybe after a couple of service packs are so.
Hmm how about waiting a few years? ;) Well we are anyway...............
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

thamarok

#9 Post by thamarok »

This might be interesting for Windows gamers:
http://www.techgage.com/article/windows ... ce_reports
Techgage wrote:Will using Vista put a damper on your gaming addiction? When we took a look at Beta 2 this past summer, we saw rather large performance decreases. Now that Vista is finally out, have things been improved?

Grifter

#10 Post by Grifter »

to be fair, the performance decrease is probably because the operating system requires a pentium7 11ghz processor to run, and no games have been made for optimum vista compatibility... but

imagine if you had two computers with the same specs, one ran vista and one ran debian, and played a game available for both operating systems... which machine do you think will perform better? (:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

thamarok

#11 Post by thamarok »

Debian :)

Microsoft isn't that bad, but they make the same mistake over and over with each release of their well-known Windows: It needs a PC with so good specs that you can't afford it.

Debian and other Linuxes and Mac OS X and whatever else doesn't make this mistake, and that's why they are more famous by users running older machines. If Windows wouldn't need so big downloads like DirectX, .NET Framework, MSXML, then it would be better.. but the full installation of DirectX is about 100MB, and the full installation of .NET is about 200MB and MSXML is about 50MB, calculating that together makes 350Mb which would be a complete Debian CD with the software and the kernel and the OS.

frenchninja

#12 Post by frenchninja »

My Dad says to me yesterday 'I had a great idea - release a disc called 'Vista Upgrade' that when inserted, automatically removes Windows and installs Linux over the top.'

It's so simple an idea, it's just got to work! :D

bluesdog

#13 Post by bluesdog »

Some interesting Vista comments here

I was quite surprised, actually :)
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#14 Post by mzilikazi »

I for one am glad to see the release of Vista. Already I have seen locally the prices of laptops (and desktops) coming down in a big hurry. YEAH! For example a brand new Lenovo 1.4GHz w/ 512M w/ XP was selling for $899 and is now only $575. This will surely affect the used pc market as well.
Debian Sid Laptops:

thamarok

#15 Post by thamarok »

mzilikazi wrote:I for one am glad to see the release of Vista. Already I have seen locally the prices of laptops (and desktops) coming down in a big hurry. YEAH! For example a brand new Lenovo 1.4GHz w/ 512M w/ XP was selling for $899 and is now only $575. This will surely affect the used pc market as well.
Now that you're saying it, the local PC store here also has many products in sale :P
Now I can buy new test PC's for 50% off! :D :D

ghostdawg

#16 Post by ghostdawg »

mzilikazi wrote: For example a brand new Lenovo 1.4GHz w/ 512M w/ XP was selling for $899 and is now only $575. This will surely affect the used pc market as well.
Where do you see that? Online or local?

Thnx.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#17 Post by mzilikazi »

ghostdawg wrote:
mzilikazi wrote: For example a brand new Lenovo 1.4GHz w/ 512M w/ XP was selling for $899 and is now only $575. This will surely affect the used pc market as well.

Thnx.
Actually that was a local sale at Staples. They had it grouped w/ the Vista laptops so of course the big prices difference immediately catches your eye. I usually see alot of items in each store that will never be advertised online since they're usually 1 or 2 pieces only available at that particular store.
Debian Sid Laptops:

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#18 Post by mzilikazi »

ghostdawg wrote:

Thnx.
Well here you go
Lenovo R51 It is a refurb but alot of machine for the $. I have not specifically checked Linux compat on this lappy but Lenovo is generally known for excellent Linux compatibility.
Debian Sid Laptops:

ghostdawg

#19 Post by ghostdawg »

That's not bad. I paid about $300 for a refurbished IBM Thinkpad 233mhz about 5 or so years ago. I still have it but hardly use it since it's so slow.

Now If I can talk the little woman into the money to buy it! :lol: