Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Because Gnome SUCKS! That's why!

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
twoflowers

Re: Because Gnome SUCKS! That's why!

#16 Post by twoflowers »

exploder wrote:I guess you could count Trinity but who uses it?
I do, and many others. And on contrary to KDE4 it get's its job done. I miss it on FreeBSD, but eventually it'll work there, too. But hey, there's FVWM, so what's the problem?

Linadian

#17 Post by Linadian »

This thread is hilarious, some good rants and love the Poettering Me Edition meme edbarx.

I ranted about Gnome 3.x in the DW comments, specifically how it takes way more mouse cursor travel and clicks to accomplish the same tasks as in a 'normal' desktop paradigm DE, basically I labelled it a Carpal Tunnel Syndrome inducing POS. Of course the fanboi sheeples jumped all over me, but that's OK, I'll be the one laughing when the feds knock on their doors because virusd and Carp-nome become NSA spyware infested.

The Linux community will definitely divide over this, there will be the Winux camp and a GNUnux camp. I'll never leave the GNUnux camp, I'd set my PC on fire first.

As for shitstemd shim, why should I have to have any kind of file like that on my computer in the first place, my system shouldn't need 'shims' as a workaround for anything, this is way out of control. Debhat is out of control too, aka Redbuntian.
Linux Registered User 533946

twoflowers

#18 Post by twoflowers »

That mousetravelsymtom has KDE4. too. But that's been solved by TDE :)

drokmed

#19 Post by drokmed »

anastasis wrote:'If you like your sys init, you can keep your sys init.' -- President Barack Hussein Obama
:mrgreen:
Author of the Debian Linux Security Appliance Firewall howto, found here
Thread discussing it is here

BowCatShot

#20 Post by BowCatShot »

"If it looks like a Nazi, acts like a Nazi, and talks like a Nazi, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and go ahead and call it a Nazi."

Could be a commie.

n_hologram

#21 Post by n_hologram »

anastasis wrote:apology for poor english

when were you when debian dies

I was sat at home drinking brain fluid when Ian ring

'debian is die'

'no'

and you?????????????
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

buntunub

#22 Post by buntunub »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I suppose I should post this in the interests of balance...

Just let Mrs. Head_on_a_Stick loose on Fedora 20 with GNOME 3.14 -- she hated it :shock:

"Why do you have to click on 'applications' to bring up the chrome icon?"
"I don't like the stupid square-handed finger" (mouse pointer?)
"I hate everything about it!"
"Tell them they were right!"
& full-on, hands in the air screaming fits every time she activated the hot corners.

I had to take her off & load up her usual desktop -- PekWM with lxpanel and nothing else.
So much for user-friendliness...
I really appreciate that funny story. It clearly illustrates that Linux is about choice. This is really the reason that people come and try out Linux. Its not because its free per se, although that makes it easy to try. Its because with Linux, none of us are stuck with anything. Until now..

Now, largely because of Systemd and its takeover of the Linux world, choice is becoming less and less of an option. As time marches on and the foothold continues to grow, choice will be further and further curtailed. You can take that to the bank. Soon, none of you will have the option to try other DEs, or network managers, or [insert utility app here]. This will all be subsumed by Systemd and its growing web of dependancies ensure that this will be exactly what happens going forward into the long term future.

"Freedom dies to thundrous applause."

Watch it happen, and smile, because you let it.

RawMustard

#23 Post by RawMustard »

anastasis wrote:'If you like your sys init, you can keep your sys init.' -- President Barack Hussein Obama
Hehehe! We Gnomed some folks :lol:

Job

#24 Post by Job »

I gave up on DEs long ago, WMs for me. yeah.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

debianized

#25 Post by debianized »

anastasis wrote: This soft-creep of Gnome has done this.

This blasted thing has gotten out of hand completely. It was intolerable 3 years ago. Now it is beyond intolerable. GNOME JUST CAN'T GET IT THROUGH THEIR THICK SKULLS!
First of all, allow me to make my position clear. I have DETESTED Gnome since the 1.x days. I skipped the entirety of the Gnome 2.x series. I vastly preferred gnome .9x. I was ok with Gnome 1.x. Gnome 2.x was a total horror to me. Likewise with Gnome 3.x

UNTIL

I got a Thinkpad. I think I am running stock Gnome 3.14. I actually do like it now, even though I have DETESTED Gnome ever since 2.0 & greater. I think the difference is Gnome 3.14 is meant for either laptops of touch screens. If I were still on a desktop, I would most likely DETEST Gnome 3.14 as well.

There are annoyances, like the dash (or whatever it's called) location on the left side of the screen, while the virtual desktops are located on the right side of the screen. I prefer left-handed controls, which means I prefer all controls on the left hand side of the screen. However, even with those caveats, I do find Gnome 3.14 to be quite usable on a laptop. Considering my hatred of Gnome from 2.0 forward, that means something.

schnuller

#26 Post by schnuller »

You could have said the very same in one sentence.

mardybear

#27 Post by mardybear »

debianized wrote:
There are annoyances, like the dash (or whatever it's called) location on the left side of the screen, while the virtual desktops are located on the right side of the screen. I prefer left-handed controls, which means I prefer all controls on the left hand side of the screen. However, even with those caveats, I do find Gnome 3.14 to be quite usable on a laptop. Considering my hatred of Gnome from 2.0 forward, that means something.
Yes you have been Debianized debianized!
These annoyances are trivial for most lightweight window managers to customize to user's content. Surprises me that someone who disliked Gnome for so many years would now like the latest iteration, especially an apparent long time Linux user who had a good taste of choice and freedom. To each his own...just surprised.
800mhz, 512mb ram, dCore-jessie (Tiny Core with Debian Jessie packages) with BusyBox and Fluxbox.
Most don't have computer access, reuse or pay forward an old computer.

JLloyd13

#28 Post by JLloyd13 »

... if it bothers you so much switch to Slackware or FreeBSD or even this new 'Devuan' thing. But Linux is still free. Gnome devs can do what ever the hell they want, when people didn't like it MATE was born. Debian can decide to use systemd and that's ok, you have a choice- remove it, switch to something else, or go with it. No one is "cramming it down your throat". I get the anger as it seems Linux distros are giving up Unix ideals to try and gain market share. But hey, just don't use it. Don't use Gnome. If it really bothers you don't use Linux. But take a look at this: http://distrowatch.com/. Surely among the hundreds of *nix OSes you can find a home.

Personally, although I dislike the fact that they used all kinds of Linuxisms and made things hard on our *nix friends, and I'm happy MATE is there to keep that style going, I like Gnome 3. I only use it on and off but it's a solid set up. The mouse gestures are second to none. Contrary to other posters (all respect given) I think that it accomplishes what Windows failed at- making an interface that works well with both touch screens and keyboard/mouse without making either seem like a second class citizen or without having two separate bolted together ideas. There's one more thing I love- There is no mistaking it for Windows. So many distros trying to emulate either Windows or Mac OS X but this is something completely different, and it works.
Laptop: Debian GNU/Linux 9 'Stretch' 64bit
Read: https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian/
We are the Universal OS. Be patient, give help, teach the Debian way.

schnuller

#29 Post by schnuller »

JLloyd13 wrote:... if it bothers you so much switch to Slackware or FreeBSD or even this new 'Devuan' thing. But Linux is still free. Gnome devs can do what ever the hell they want, when people didn't like it MATE was born. Debian can decide to use systemd and that's ok, you have a choice- remove it, switch to something else, or go with it. No one is "cramming it down your throat". I get the anger as it seems Linux distros are giving up Unix ideals to try and gain market share. But hey, just don't use it. Don't use Gnome. If it really bothers you don't use Linux. But take a look at this: http://distrowatch.com/. Surely among the hundreds of *nix OSes you can find a home.
A very confusing post, no clear thought.
For starters: What is "it" ? systemd? gnome? debian?
The abstract version will stay the same, of course: Everything is perfect, everything is free, anyone who disagrees shall go away to not disturb the fanboys.

"Don't use Linux" is a good advice, though. Probably the best one can give these days (but you spoiled it, by advicing to go to distrowatch).

JLloyd13

#30 Post by JLloyd13 »

schnuller wrote:
JLloyd13 wrote:... if it bothers you so much switch to Slackware or FreeBSD or even this new 'Devuan' thing. But Linux is still free. Gnome devs can do what ever the hell they want, when people didn't like it MATE was born. Debian can decide to use systemd and that's ok, you have a choice- remove it, switch to something else, or go with it. No one is "cramming it down your throat". I get the anger as it seems Linux distros are giving up Unix ideals to try and gain market share. But hey, just don't use it. Don't use Gnome. If it really bothers you don't use Linux. But take a look at this: http://distrowatch.com/. Surely among the hundreds of *nix OSes you can find a home.
A very confusing post, no clear thought.
For starters: What is "it" ? systemd? gnome? debian?
The abstract version will stay the same, of course: Everything is perfect, everything is free, anyone who disagrees shall go away to not disturb the fanboys.

"Don't use Linux" is a good advice, though. Probably the best one can give these days (but you spoiled it, by advicing to go to distrowatch).
It is very hard to actually construct a coherent response to incoherent rambling. I did my best based on what the OP said. "it" is all this change the OP is bemoaning.

Frankly after rereading and seeing his avatar I regret having dignified this thread with a response.

rivenathos

#31 Post by rivenathos »

Yeah, well, I kinda was apprehensive when GNOME shell apeared, but after a while, I have warmed up to it. Now, with a few extensions, I am quite satisfied with the desktop experience.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

mean_dean

#32 Post by mean_dean »

Linadian wrote: I ranted about Gnome 3.x in the DW comments, specifically how it takes way more mouse cursor travel and clicks to accomplish the same tasks as in a 'normal' desktop paradigm DE, basically I labelled it a Carpal Tunnel Syndrome inducing POS.
Actually I do much less clicking when using gnome shell. In fact the environment is practically click-less if you so choose. Of course other environments can do the same but I like that gnome is designed to work well in that manner.

JLloyd13

#33 Post by JLloyd13 »

mean_dean wrote:
Linadian wrote: I ranted about Gnome 3.x in the DW comments, specifically how it takes way more mouse cursor travel and clicks to accomplish the same tasks as in a 'normal' desktop paradigm DE, basically I labelled it a Carpal Tunnel Syndrome inducing POS.
Actually I do much less clicking when using gnome shell. In fact the environment is practically click-less if you so choose. Of course other environments can do the same but I like that gnome is designed to work well in that manner.
As long as you have some way to launch programs from a keybinding- the system or 'windows' key in the case of gnome- I don't see how any stacking WM could really require more mouse work than another. In terms of clicks gestures makes gnome quite wonderful.

MALsPa

#34 Post by MALsPa »

My first time using GNOME Shell was in Fedora 16, back in 2011. I liked it right away, even though it was kinda buggy, and it crashed on me sometimes. I especially liked the "dynamic workspaces" idea.

I have a Wheezy GNOME installation -- I haven't switched that one over to Jessie yet. I have only two GNOME Shell extensions turned on: Alternative Status Menu and Quit Button.

I use various DEs/WMs here, and I can't really say that I have a favorite; but GNOME Shell works out quite nicely for me. I'd like to have more control over the date/time format on the top panel -- that's probably my biggest complaint.

I haven't missed the old GNOME one bit.

schnuller

#35 Post by schnuller »

MALsPa wrote:My first time using GNOME Shell was in Fedora 16, back in 2011. I liked it right away, even though it was kinda buggy, and it crashed on me sometimes. I especially liked the "dynamic workspaces" idea.

I have a Wheezy GNOME installation -- I haven't switched that one over to Jessie yet. I have only two GNOME Shell extensions turned on: Alternative Status Menu and Quit Button.

I use various DEs/WMs here, and I can't really say that I have a favorite; but GNOME Shell works out quite nicely for me. I'd like to have more control over the date/time format on the top panel -- that's probably my biggest complaint.

I haven't missed the old GNOME one bit.
My guess is you purr "it's a beautiful, beautiful world" all day, only breaks are to tell others that there are no problems whatsoever.