Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nonsense rant megathread

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: anastasis rant megathread

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@dilberts_left_nut: thank you for collecting these most entertaining rants in one easily-accessible location -- utterly hilarious!
I can almost feel the spittle & venom from over here in London...
:D
deadbang

drokmed

#17 Post by drokmed »

Interesting test:

* write a post, containing whatever
* reply to your own post 7 times, containing whatever

Eventually, somebody will respond.

my response to this reinforces anyone will respond to anything

Nonsensical things such as a fart in church or screen door on a submarine come to mind...
Author of the Debian Linux Security Appliance Firewall howto, found here
Thread discussing it is here

schnuller

#18 Post by schnuller »

You missed the main part:
dilberts_left_nut wrote:...to tidy up a bit...

edit for clarity: These posts have been moved here from the threads referenced in each post's subject (for reasons that may be self-evident).

Linadian

Debian used to be a distro...

#19 Post by Linadian »

...now it's just a "dependency of systemd". :roll: :twisted:

From a post in the DistroWatch comments (I love the 'Debian being a dependency of systemd' part, sad but funny).
76 • systemd flames (by cykodrone on 2014-11-29 16:23:05 GMT from Canada)
Wow, I can't believe some of the posts here.

1. Systemd is NOT developed and maintained by an independent purely FOSS developer, but by an employee of a corporation which ultimately seeks more market share on desktops and servers, true or false? TRUE

2. Systemd, when fully installed and used initiates and controls almost every service (including networking, huge NSA red flag) on your machine and has secretive binary format log files, true or false? TRUE

3. Systemd developers have tried to bully LINUS TORVALDS to ingrain not fully tested buggy code in to the Linux kernel itself to which he replied, "fix your stuff first, I'm tired of OTHER people fixing your bugs for you", true or false? TRUE

@ 72 wrote "this all came to a head with Debian in particular and not with Suse or Fedora or whatnot". SUSE (who caved to MS software patent threat 'deal') is the corporate version of openSUSE, which has its roots in rpm based distros, which brings me to Fedora, the beta testbed for the very CORPORATION behind systemd, Redhat.

I can't believe a lot of you are missing the main point in all of this, normally under the old Debian guard, systemd would have been banished to contrib or even the non-free repository, since it is built and supported by a corporation, regardless of it being GPL (for now, I'm going to laugh when they pull that license), nevermind completely caving and making the rest of Debian a DEPENDENCY OF SYSTEMD, lol. *shakes head*

I'm tired of feeding trolls, but that's what they want, silence the voices of true software choice and freedom.
There's a new name for Debian, "Depends"©®™, like the incontinent undergarment, lol. :shock: :lol:
Linux Registered User 533946

Linadian

What should we do about systemd?

#20 Post by Linadian »

Comment was moved here, contents removed to avoid repetition, see preceding post, specifically Debian's new name. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by Linadian on 2014-11-30 02:25, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian used to be a distro...

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Linadian wrote:
has secretive binary format log files, true or false? TRUE
I take it you have never heard of strings then?
http://serverfault.com/questions/51477/ ... ascii-file

"secretive" indeed... get a grip folks!
deadbang

twoflowers

Re: nonsense rant megathread

#22 Post by twoflowers »

That's not the point. The good old ascii logfile was strict appending text to a file. The new systemd logfile modifies the existing contents of the logfile. As systemd is not a transactionsave database, this is calling for trouble.

Head_on_a_Stick

#23 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I was objecting to the pejorative adjective rather than the technical minutiae...
deadbang

Linadian

#24 Post by Linadian »

This is just proof the Poett-hats have taken over the 'asylum', let the censorship begin. First Debian bends over, now this forum is too, the 'hits' just keep on comin'. Ye who dares to mention s*st*md shall have their head lopped off at dawn by guillotine. You've been warned sheeple minions! :roll:

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Linadian wrote:This is just proof the Poett-hats have taken over the 'asylum', let the censorship begin. First Debian bends over, now this forum is too, the 'hits' just keep on comin'. Ye who dares to mention s*st*md shall have their head lopped off at dawn by guillotine. You've been warned sheeple minions! :roll:
What a load of bollocks.
If it was being censored to support some 'agenda' it would just disappear.
This thread is an attempt to keep the other threads, at least notionally, above a pre-adolescent level of "discussion" - and pro or anti makes no difference to me.
You're welcome to have your say and contribute, just drop the childish bullshit yes?
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

schnuller

#26 Post by schnuller »

There is an asylum somewhere?

If it was me, the Kung-Fu master of this forum, i would forbid to speak about systemd or init altogether.
IRC-channels seem to do that, and it works well.
users of Debian really don't need to know about the init system. They get all the comfort they can dream of, by tasksel, why the heck should they be interested in something running in the background?

Linadian

#27 Post by Linadian »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
Linadian wrote:This is just proof the Poett-hats have taken over the 'asylum', let the censorship begin. First Debian bends over, now this forum is too, the 'hits' just keep on comin'. Ye who dares to mention s*st*md shall have their head lopped off at dawn by guillotine. You've been warned sheeple minions! :roll:
What a load of bollocks.
This thread is an attempt to keep the other threads, at least notionally, above a pre-adolescent level of "discussion" - and pro or anti makes no difference to me.
You're welcome to have your say and contribute, just drop the childish bullshit yes?
Ooooohhhhhh, I beg to differ, considering my post you moved here containing the quote from DW comments was the first in a *new* thread created by me in Offtopic, it had absolutely nothing to do with your pseudo-Nazi friend or his rants. It was hidden here because I called Debian a DEPENDENCY of systemd, which is too much cold hard truth for some to handle, awe. "You make the bed you lie in".

Linadian

#28 Post by Linadian »

schnuller wrote:There is an asylum somewhere?

If it was me, the Kung-Fu master of this forum, i would forbid to speak about systemd or init altogether.
IRC-channels seem to do that, and it works well.
users of Debian really don't need to know about the init system. They get all the comfort they can dream of, by tasksel, why the heck should they be interested in something running in the background?
I'm glad you brought that up, since the majority of Debian users, in my estimation, are seasoned Linux users, Debian is somewhat easy to us but it scares away the Mint-buntu crowd for example, that being said, people like us would understand what the individual components of Debian do and how they work, unlike n00b GUI-heads. I ran to Linux for privacy reasons, among others, like lock-in, whether it be an init system or any other part of an OS, not just Debian. Debian likes my hardware and I know my way around it, that's part of the reason I'm so cheesed, I can't just keep using it because of the coming lock-in in Jessie, I have to learn a whole new set of commands, workarounds and tricks with another OS, that's if it likes my hardware as much as Debian does. :twisted:

As for the post you commented on, that was tainted with a sprinkle of humour, but essentially true.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Linadian wrote:
dilberts_left_nut wrote:
What a load of bollocks.
Ooooohhhhhh, I beg to differ, considering my post you moved here containing the quote from DW comments was the first in a *new* thread created by me in Offtopic, it had absolutely nothing to do with your pseudo-Nazi friend or his rants. It was hidden here because I called Debian a DEPENDENCY of systemd, which is too much cold hard truth for some to handle, awe. "You make the bed you lie in".
No.
It was moved here because of your juvenile potty jokes accompanying it, which is a continuation of a theme for you, and I think we are all well over it.
Grow up.
Repost the info when you are ready to have a sensible discussion about it.

schnuller

#30 Post by schnuller »

I'm glad you brought that up, since the majority of Debian users, in my estimation, are seasoned Linux users
Is that sprinkeled with humor too, or are you serious?

The bigger part couldn't care less about the init system.
The other part doesn't seem to find a way around the problem
(learn a couple of new commands in a different distro, how hard can that be for a *seasoned* Linux user ?).
The whole subject of init systems doesn't come into this question at all. Debian was a comfortable distro for wannabes way before that problem.

---
Is this thread open for lulz? Or are there restrictions too?
It might sound more sarcastic than it is. Such subforums might keep a community healthy.
Not that anyone who is not interested in nonsense couldn't simply ignore all systemd threads. Just a general idea (assuming Mez will show up in february again and ask if something can be done ...)

---
I propose that someone will say "Get a life" too. It always helps a lot to use phrases. Yes, dilbert, that was directed at you.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#31 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

schnuller wrote:Is this thread open for lulz? Or are there restrictions too?
Hadn't really thought about that, but, as you like ...
It might sound more sarcastic than it is. Such subforums might keep a community healthy.
I don't think anyone's averse to a bit of random nonsense, but there comes a point where enough is enough.
Not that anyone who is not interested in nonsense couldn't simply ignore all systemd threads.
I think that's the guts of the matter - people have legitimate concerns about systemd and/or are interested in factual information and discussion on the subject, without having to wade through threads waist deep in troll crap.
I propose that someone will say "Get a life" too. It always helps a lot to use phrases. Yes, dilbert, that was directed at you.
:)

schnuller

#32 Post by schnuller »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
schnuller wrote: It might sound more sarcastic than it is. Such subforums might keep a community healthy.
I don't think anyone's averse to a bit of random nonsense, but there comes a point where enough is enough
It probably isn't clear how serious and non-sarcastic i am. I agree that "enough is enough"
But if there would be a way to get rid of "tension" in a clear and structured way, it could help a forum (to keep the rest clean).
I know it won't happen, that is not the point, but i think it isn't a bad idea. Well: it is a good idea as long one is looking for more than a bit of information about technical questions. One could argue (and it would be a good way to see it): To get rid of your "tension" is really your own problem.

I do it more in the spirit of Joyce:
"Wherever you be, let the winds go free. "
But that is not something i dare asking for (And i am pretty sure it will go south quickly).

-
I think that's the guts of the matter - people have legitimate concerns about systemd and/or are interested in factual information and discussion on the subject, without having to wade through threads waist deep in troll crap.
I ain't got much problems to find information about systemd. But, truth to be told, i don't even care enough to look that close. The bit of information i have found is sufficient for my needs. Perhaps others want to go more deep (then a user forum won't be the right place anyway, but that is me).

-
Anyway, it's time for the lulz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0V8PZ8bVWo
She lacks perfection, i think, but that is the way to do it. Some would call it "old-school". I call it skateboarding.
(Has it got something to do with hackers? ... Well ... to me it has. I omit the rant. Some things can be done by words. Some things can't ).

------
If you really care about information about systemd you, as a moderator, could create a thread "information about systemd", collect a bit of the good posts already made (and there are more than just a few), but go for hardchore moderation in that very thread (that includes posts which post stupid crap like "debian is nazi" but it also includes stupid posts which state they got no opion about systemd, but are not convinced because some people don't behave well and also the results of memory usage, which really has got nothing to do with the problem called "systemd", etc).
Not sure what would be the point, as Debian will use systemd this way or the other. Again: It would have been the job of Debian as a project to get that sorted. As soon one doesn't feel like that anymore, then it makes no sense to still use Debian.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#33 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

schnuller wrote:Anyway, it's time for the lulz:
Took my boys and their friend down to the skatepark recently - we were there 5 minutes before the friend had an 'oops' and I had to take him home and explain to his grandmother how he came to be bleeding from the face ... :|
Kids these days don't seem to know how to fall.
schnuller wrote:If you really care about information about systemd you, as a moderator, could create a thread "information about systemd", collect a bit of the good posts already made (and there are more than just a few),
Don't know if I care enough for that - putting this thread together has shown me that it's harder than I thought to move posts without ****** up a thread. Bodging together a thread out of separate posts would, I think, produce a sub-optimal result.
schnuller wrote:but go for hardchore moderation
Now I think I've slipped into an alternate reality... :D

Linadian

#34 Post by Linadian »

dilberts_left_nut wrote: No.
It was moved here because of your juvenile potty jokes accompanying it, which is a continuation of a theme for you, and I think we are all well over it.
Grow up.
Repost the info when you are ready to have a sensible discussion about it.
Again, the truth hurts, Debian deciding to be a dependency of systemd makes it the equivalent of an adult diaper full of smelly brown runny stuff. You are conveniently having a 'selective' sense of humour, but unfortunately, I'm no longer joking, even when I say Debian has become a JOKE.

I think Depends as a new name for Debian is perfect...if the diaper fits. Maybe Poettering can change Debian's diaper when it gets all bunged up with bugs and exploits. Debian is dead to me, and so is this now sad forum, its bad rep is well deserved.

Linadian

#35 Post by Linadian »

schnuller wrote:The bigger part couldn't care less about the init system.
Really? Then you better have a look at this poll and get out your calculator, because it sure looks like an overwhelming MORE THAN HALF prefer something else, I believe that's called a MAJORITY.

And yeah, it is a pain in the ass to switch from a stable OS I know to something else, like a BSD for example, I shouldn't have to because of an idiotic decision to lock-in to a BETA init system. Not everybody has time to learn and install a new OS every time their current OS makes a stupid decision.