Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

reliable laptop

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
izar

#16 Post by izar »

Pobega you should basically use the hotkeys Debian package to try and get the extra button working.

Pobega

#17 Post by Pobega »

izar wrote:Pobega you should basically use the hotkeys Debian package to try and get the extra button working.
Thanks for the tip, now to figure out how to find what brand keyboard this is.

izar

#18 Post by izar »

If your keyboard is not included in /etc/share/hotkeys you will have to create you own file modelled on one of the files there. The only problem might be finding the code for your extra keys, but you can use the command showkeys for that.

AgenT

#19 Post by AgenT »

michael7 wrote:
AgenT wrote:I would recommend IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. In fact, I would rather buy a *used* Thinkpad than a new Dell or what have you for the same price.
I took your advice and bought a used Thinkpad T60 on ebay. I appreciate your posting.
Congratulations! Are you happy with your purchase? Are you satisfied with the condition of the laptop?

Good resources:
http://www.thinkwiki.org (Thinkpad wiki for GNU/Linux users)
http://forum.thinkpads.com/ (biggest Thinkpad forum)
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad Video Matrix
IBM Warranty Status Page (check the status of your warranty!)
Last edited by AgenT on 2007-03-21 01:59, edited 1 time in total.

Pobega

#20 Post by Pobega »

izar wrote:If your keyboard is not included in /etc/share/hotkeys you will have to create you own file modelled on one of the files there. The only problem might be finding the code for your extra keys, but you can use the command showkeys for that.
I don't even have that as a directory.

Code: Select all

pobega@ackbar:~$ su -c "locate share/keyboar"
pobega@ackbar:~$ 

AgenT

#21 Post by AgenT »

izar

#22 Post by izar »

Pobega I should have said /usr/share/hotkeys
My apologies :oops:

hkoster1

#23 Post by hkoster1 »

A bit late chiming in, but here goes... I can certainly second that an older ThinkPad is built like a tank: I used an A22e for many years until last summer the (Toshiba-made) HD and the battery gave out -- had been single-booting Debian Woody for most of that time. :)

Now, to replace it I bought something completely different: an Apple MacBook. I ditched OS X and am single-booting Debian Etch now. I can't say anything about reliability yet, running only 9 months with it, other than to say that I find it an extremely attractive and well-made laptop. I had none of the overheating, discolouration, and cracking problems reported by others -- using it every day, still looking pristinely white. What's more, I just love that 8:5 ratio shiny 1280x800 screen (small as it is at 13-inch diagonal) -- I'll never go back to an old 4:3 ratio screen, that's for sure. :D

michael7

#24 Post by michael7 »

AgenT wrote:
michael7 wrote:
AgenT wrote:I would recommend IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad. In fact, I would rather buy a *used* Thinkpad than a new Dell or what have you for the same price.
I took your advice and bought a used Thinkpad T60 on ebay. I appreciate your posting.
Congratulations! Are you happy with your purchase? Are you satisfied with the condition of the laptop?
AgenT,
It's a great laptop. It's about a year old and in superb condition. I can't find anything wrong with it. It's fast and quite attractive in an understated way. Also, it's built like a tank! I really appreciate your recommendation.
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

AgenT

#25 Post by AgenT »

michael7 wrote:
AgenT wrote:
michael7 wrote: I took your advice and bought a used Thinkpad T60 on ebay. I appreciate your posting.
AgenT,
It's a great laptop. It's about a year old and in superb condition. I can't find anything wrong with it. It's fast and quite attractive in an understated way. Also, it's built like a tank! I really appreciate your recommendation.
Thank you for keeping us updated. Good to hear that your used laptop purchase went well. And indeed, compared to other laptops, a Thinkpad is built like a tank. Yet it comes without the bulk. Cheers!