Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Now that there are Intel Macs, will there be MINE??

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
thamarok

Now that there are Intel Macs, will there be MINE??

#1 Post by thamarok »

Hello!

Emulating Mac programs in the past was harder because they were designed for PowerPC.. But now that Apple has made Macs that run on Intel machines, wouldn't a project for running Mac programs be quite positive to happen??

We have the WINE project to run Windows Executables on our Linux systems, and I am quite sure that someone makes MINE (MINE Is Not an Emulator) for running Mac programs in Linux.. If this would happen, we could have an All-in-One system with that we can run native Linux programs, Windows programs through WINE and Mac programs through MINE.....

Would be cool wouldn't it?

DeanLinkous

#2 Post by DeanLinkous »

If I wanted windows programs I would use windows, if I wanted mac progra.... well you get the idea. :) I do not see how choosing "windows" programs helps free software projects so I think it is harmful. So not, not cool at all to me.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

thamarok

#3 Post by thamarok »

DeanLinkous wrote:If I wanted windows programs I would use windows, if I wanted mac progra.... well you get the idea. :) I do not see how choosing "windows" programs helps free software projects so I think it is harmful. So not, not cool at all to me.
Well, you can't do everything with free software.. Nothing can replace Quicken.. Also, having WINE is more handier than going to the next store to buy Windows.

Kerr

#4 Post by Kerr »

Wine started in 1993 and they're still only manage to "emulate" programs that run on WIN 98/ME.
Newer programs often give troubles.
A "MINE" project would be a complete restart and it would probably take many years before you get some quality. So it's probably easier to just buy a Mac.

Nevertheless it would be cool to have a MINE.

Dargor

#5 Post by Dargor »

easyer to buy, but arnt we all cheapskate :), i cant see anything being released for mac that i would want to run though.

DeanLinkous

#6 Post by DeanLinkous »

Well, you can't do everything with free software..

nope haven't figured out how to fly with free software...yet
Nothing can replace Quicken
PLEEEZE >>> pencil/paper can do that

Code: Select all

Also, having WINE is more handier than going to the next store to buy Windows
Using free software is handier than both and benefits you and others...
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

thamarok

#7 Post by thamarok »

DeanLinkous wrote:
Well, you can't do everything with free software..

nope haven't figured out how to fly with free software...yet
Nothing can replace Quicken
PLEEEZE >>> pencil/paper can do that
That is quite rude, don't you think? I'll stop arguing before this gets any bigger.

DeanLinkous

#8 Post by DeanLinkous »

How was it rude? It is simply a answer. I assume pencil/paper was used before quicken and therefore it could replace it, correct? The "pleeeze" was used to show that something that simple could replace it.

I am not arguing - are you?

thamarok

#9 Post by thamarok »

DeanLinkous wrote:How was it rude? It is simply a answer. I assume pencil/paper was used before quicken and therefore it could replace it, correct? The "pleeeze" was used to show that something that simple could replace it.

I am not arguing - are you?
Calm down. Just chill for a moment and you won't regret it ;)
I hate to continue these discussions, so please forget it.

DeanLinkous

#10 Post by DeanLinkous »

thamarok wrote: Calm down. Just chill for a moment and you won't regret it ;)
I hate to continue these discussions, so please forget it.
I am calm? And I assure you it is cold as %^& here in Virginia so I am definately chill.

DIdn't you say you were going to stop anwyay? :D

mdevour

#11 Post by mdevour »

I asked this question myself a few months back, and I think the answer was that a lot of the API's that Apple uses are closed and proprietary and will be just as tough a nut to crack as all of Microsoft's undocumented features. So the project would be easily as big as WINE and probably take as long.

When I googled 'Mac emulatore linux' or terms like that I think I found only one project that was along these lines and it was only just starting up.

Mike D.

ghostdawg

#12 Post by ghostdawg »

I don't think Apple want to make it easy for their software to run on anything but an Apple computer. Unless they make it for Windows. After All, MS & Apple are in cahoots. Apple is just as bad as MS when making their programs for Linux.

I'm like DeanLinkous, why run Windows software on Linux? It will make your linux unstable...Of course there may be times if it's related to your job or something.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

Optional

#13 Post by Optional »

Wasn't the now-defunct AlkyProject supposed to be able to convert Mac (and Win32) binaries to ELF format?

If I recall, it was mainly designed for gaming (so you can run Windows and Mac games natively on Linux), but I recall that they had early successes with converting other programs, too.