Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Has Anyone Built A Linux From Scratch

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ghostdawg

Has Anyone Built A Linux From Scratch

#1 Post by ghostdawg »

Has anybody built one lately? I'm thinking about giving this a try and would like to hear some pros & cons about it.

I did try it a few years ago before the LiveCD and got frustrated and quit.

Thnx.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

hcgtv

#2 Post by hcgtv »

I did it about 6 years back, this was for an ultra-slim distro I was putting together that was to fit on a 14MB ROM chip.

Today, it's more a learning exercise than anything else, since there's a distro to quench anyone's thirst. From the smallest to the largest, all avenues are pretty much covered by now, but I miss the pioneering days.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

frenchninja

#3 Post by frenchninja »

I've slowly been doing so - the use of the Live CD helps a lot, and there's now a semi-automated process of compiling, because the steps are now in XML, allowing the script to move from step to step by reading through a version of the manual. Saves a lot of time.

That being said, I haven't had the patience to do it all the way, always having trouble when it comes to kernel stuff.
Instead I've been playing with Morphix tools and chrooting into a modular Debianised system, fiddling around with it that way (lazy man's short cut)