Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

exegnulinux - small independent remix

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
keithpeter

exegnulinux - small independent remix

#1 Post by keithpeter »

Hello All

http://exegnulinux.net/

Trinity based remix (i.e. sources.list points to Debian servers but some bespoke packages). Trinity is a desktop environment based on KDE 3.5.

The Jessie based version has some of the Devuan packages added.

Author (David Hare) is supporting lower spec machines. The live .iso has a useful set of tools available for fixing stuff up. Mr Hare shares a name with a well-known British playwright which fact complicates Google searches.

Enjoy.

golinux

Re: exegnulinux - small independent remix

#2 Post by golinux »

exegnulinux has been around for a while; often mentioned on the Devuan list and channels. I believe there is also an XFCE version. And no systemd IIRC! Refracta is another good XFCE option.
May the FORK be with you!

fsmithred

#3 Post by fsmithred »

I'm pretty sure the xfce version is the unofficial jessie version of refracta. And it's closer to previous versions of refracta than my current build. David does good work.

Trinity is a good choice for a full desktop that does not require systemd. I can't tell it apart from kde, but it's been a few years since I've used kde, so I probably just don't see the differences.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

fsmithred wrote:I can't tell it apart from kde, but it's been a few years since I've used kde, so I probably just don't see the differences.
TDE is KDE 3.5, so there's probably not much to see.

I've taken exegnulinux for a spin in a VM, and I was very favorably impressed.