Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HDPARMS question...

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
millpond

HDPARMS question...

#1 Post by millpond »

I have been using hdparms parameters to substitute for a missing udev with the shim.

It *seems* to be working in Linux.
Overnight the hard drives are cold, and when I do reboot to Linux the bootup always mentions that the hard drives are *waking up*. Which leads to the *assumption* that they were put to sleep during shutdown.

These settings do NOT carry over into Win(XP), where the Linux drives still get notably warm.
Anyone have a clue as to how to shut down ext4 hard drives in Winblows?

And I dont know if its hdparms or what, but I do know that the USB external drive spins down quite nicely when not being accessed in Linux, where it seems to run forever in Win.

BTW - this is not a laptop. On my desktops I am pretty much obsessive about keeping *temperatures* down.