Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Kali] Netgear A6100 Driver help

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
LordAbolition

[Kali] Netgear A6100 Driver help

#1 Post by LordAbolition »

I have Kali installed on a partition my hard drive. I typed "lsusb" and this is what showed (I only wrote the netgear):

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0846:9052 Netgear, Inc. A6100 AC600 DB Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8811AU]

Any help would be appreciated!

Randicus

Re: [Kali] Netgear A6100 Driver help

#2 Post by Randicus »

1) What is the problem? The only information you have provided is one piece of hardware detail. No one can help without knowing exactly what the problem is.
2) Have you checked the Kali forum and documentation?
https://www.kali.org/kali-linux-documentation/
http://docs.kali.org/
http://forums.kali.org/

LordAbolition

#3 Post by LordAbolition »

Well I figured you would guess from the title. My Netgear driver doesn't work. I can't access the internet on Kali. I'm not using VirtualBox or VMware btw. It's in a partition in my harddrive. It's installed correctly, I did apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Please don't link me to another thread unless it has the same Realtek number as me

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

What you are missing is this is a Debian forum, not Kali.
LordAbolition wrote:Well I figured you would guess from the title. My Netgear driver doesn't work. I can't access the internet on Kali. I'm not using VirtualBox or VMware btw. It's in a partition in my harddrive. It's installed correctly, I did apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. Please don't link me to another thread unless it has the same Realtek number as me
If you are un-willing to follow the links that people have offered , trying to help you find the right place to ask about your problems, that is your problem, This is a "kali" problem
not Debian. Debian is not "kali" , kali is not debian.

spacex

#5 Post by spacex »

Take a look here. You will find several options. Dont't worry about it being for a different dongle. It's the same realtek drivers...

http://wiki.lm-technologies.com/display ... ompilation

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Here, I searched this forum for you: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... AU#p572788

But I have to wonder, if you can't even do that, are you ready to run an "experts" distro like Kali? Also note that these drivers are not modified to support packet injection.
MX Linux packager and developer

LordAbolition

#7 Post by LordAbolition »

Thanks for your help guys. I'll check it out when I get home. It's not like I don't want to look at the other threads, but I have already. like the other thread with the a6100. They said to put a command in the terminal, I tried it, and it gave me an error. So I dont know what else to do.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

They said to put a command in the terminal, I tried it, and it gave me an error. So I don't know what else to do.
Unless you start being more clear, specific, no body can help. You need to show some details, IE: what command ? exactly the way you wrote it ? what was the error ?,
You don't seem to even have a clue as to how to ask a question in a way that people can answer, the only thing we can do is guess and give you some links, so you can read the instructions, or manuals,but you refuse to do that.
If you do not know how to ask a question in a sensible way,I could give you a link, to where that gets explained,..but I am not going to, because you all ready have stated you will not read them.
Probably you did not read the manual, or all of what was said at "like the other thread with the a6100." Maybe you misspelled the command, it is any bodies guess .but also, that is why you need to ask at the "kali" forum, anything here is going to be for Debian, I don't know that all the commands that work for Debian, would work on "kali", some commands need to have a certain program installed to run.
So I don't know what else to do.
Try reading some manuals, this is totally ridicules, do a search using the key words,
"How to ask a question the smart way ?"
Then once you have that figured out, ask your question. I don't know what else to do either.

millpond

#9 Post by millpond »

LordAbolition wrote:Thanks for your help guys. I'll check it out when I get home. It's not like I don't want to look at the other threads, but I have already. like the other thread with the a6100. They said to put a command in the terminal, I tried it, and it gave me an error. So I dont know what else to do.
Boot up to a *Debian* LiveCD and see if it gets detected there. If NetworkManager cant find it, fire up Synaptic and search it for wifi , to find likely additional drivers, and install them.

If that works boot back to Kali and install what was needed.

A Debian fork does not necessarily come with the same default software and kernel modules as Debian does.

Did you *compile* the kernel module:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2235778