Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

List of your linux Apps

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: List of your linux Apps

#361 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Foot (foo terminal)

The fast, lightweight and minimalistic Wayland terminal emulator.

Features
  • Fast (see benchmarks, and performance)
  • Lightweight, in dependencies, on-disk and in-memory
  • Wayland native
  • DE agnostic
  • User configurable font fallback
  • On-the-fly font resize
  • On-the-fly DPI font size adjustment
  • Scrollback search
  • Color emoji support
  • Server/daemon mode
  • Multi-seat
  • Synchronized Updates support
  • Sixel image support
EDIT: only available for testing/unstable. I couldn't backport it but I didn't try very hard.
deadbang

bester69

#362 Post by bester69 »

GoodVibes
Goodvibes is a lightweight internet radio player for GNU/Linux. Save your favorite stations, play it, that’s it.
There is no function to search radio stations, you’ll have to enter the URL of the audio stream by yourself. Not very user-friendly, I know, but doing better than that is not simple.
https://goodvibes.readthedocs.io/en/stable/

Features
multimedia keys support - ie. the <Play/Pause>, <Previous> and <Next> keys that are present on most keyboards.
notifications - ie. information that pops up when the song change.
do not suspend - ie. prevent the system from suspending while a radio is playing.
autoplay - ie. start playing the last radio when you start the application.
MPRIS2 support - ie. integration with modern desktops.

flatpak install flathub io.gitlab.Goodvibes
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#363 Post by bester69 »

Nuvola - Ivoox Podcasts
Podcasts, radio on demand and live, audio series, tales, talks and more.
https://nuvola.tiliado.eu/app/ivoox/
https://www.ivoox.com

Install.:
flatpak install nuvola eu.tiliado.Nuvola (Install services such as keyboard control and fix some interface issues)
flatpak install nuvola eu.tiliado.NuvolaAppIvoox
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#364 Post by bester69 »

Mellow Player
MellowPlayer is a free, open source and cross-platform application Cloud music integration for your desktop
https://colinduquesnoy.gitlab.io/MellowPlayer/

I recommend following services.:
:arrow: - Deezer, Soundcloud, Youmusic, MixCloud and HearThisAt
** and using playerctl (sudo apt install playerctl), to control mellowplayer throught mpris2

Features.:
System tray integration
Hot keys
Mpris2 support
Notifications
Listening history

Install.:
flatpak install flathub com.gitlab.ColinDuquesnoy.MellowPlayer

bester69

#365 Post by bester69 »

Autokey
Autokey is a little GUI to run Python-3 scripts and text expansion, especially focusing on MACRO and keypress functionality.
Within AutoKey, these replacement texts are called “Phrases”. It can also react to keyboard shortcuts e.g. [Ctrl]+[Alt]+F8, for Phrase expansion
https://github.com/autokey/autokey/wiki

>> Very Usefull Application :idea:

sudo apt install autokey-gtk

bester69

#366 Post by bester69 »

** Very Interesting and Usefull application

unattach
Free space by removing attachments.
Easily download Gmail attachments in bulk, and optionally remove them.
https://unattach.app/#how-unattach-works
https://github.com/rokstrnisa/unattach

*Unattach 2.4.0 has been released!* :idea:
You can download it through its homepage <https://unattach.app/> or its
GitHub page <https://github.com/rokstrnisa/unattach>.

What's new?
- *Trash originals.* When Unattach removes attachments, it actually
inserts a copy of the original email without attachments into your inbox,
and permanently deletes the original email. The app now has an option to
instead put the original email into Trash. Note that this doesn't free
space until you permanently delete it from Trash.
- *Signed Windows installer.* The unsigned executable installer (.exe)
for Windows has been replaced with a signed Windows installer (.msi). Note
that Windows may still give a warning "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen
prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put
your PC at risk." If this happens, click on "More info" and then "Run
anyway".
- *Inner-workings explained.* The website has a new section How Unattach
Works <https://unattach.app/#how-unattach-works>, which goes into some
detail about how the app works.
Unattach lives from your donations. If you like it, Buy Developers a Coffee
<https://unattach.app/#support> ☕ or Become a Sponsor
<https://github.com/sponsors/rokstrnisa> ❤️
Last edited by bester69 on 2020-12-22 01:52, edited 1 time in total.

bester69

#367 Post by bester69 »

App Outlet
App Outlet is a Universal application store inspired by the Linux App Store online service. It allows you to easily search and download [W.I.P] applications that run on most Linux distributions. It currently works with AppImages, Flatpaks and Snap
https://app-outlet.github.io/

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#368 Post by CwF »

bester69 wrote: App Outlet is a Universal application store inspired by the Linux App Store online service.
...terrible idea.

bester69

#369 Post by bester69 »

Last edited by bester69 on 2020-12-22 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#370 Post by CwF »

bester69 wrote:you'll get used to it..
No, I won't.

I don't mind appimage, those are pretty tight. But if I layer an OS and install a flatpack or snap only to find its layer is now larger than the core OS, no, that's obesity. Reminds me of the days dll's only to see them evolve to many of the same name with differing contents scattered everywhere.

I'm simpler than you, so I don't respond to shininess. Meld isn't far behind in Debian and I use it often. Btw, bullseye is working well...Webmail works well enough for me in the default firefox-esr. Kodi is not nearly what I like, so I built my own mpv setup for a mutli-tuner dvr -still running on a Stretch, it will be on bullseye and better in a few weeks. It's sister mpv-image helped eliminate all other media viewers, no vlc, ristretto, feh, etc. I prefer the windows vm to take up the slack for what debian can't do. Why build a pig when you can simply invite a guest over, the mother of all pigs. And as mentioned elsewhere qemu-img substitutes all things backup.

Btw, thanks for the goodvibes reference, I'm going to try that.

Basically, I believe snap and flatpack could lead to laziness and audit looseness. They are in no way comparable to the systemd change, even though systemd does have some 'windows' logic to it... Appimages are not to far off a static deb, like a deadbeef or avidemux, that are not all that fat. Still, this 'windows' thinking isn't good in my opinion. A 'store' is outright blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. A maintained repository is a linux strong point and is not synonymous to a 'store'. The day synaptic turns into a webapp with full page of pretty animated ads and a logon field, I quit. I could just go vertical with bullseye for the next decade, so I expect to escape the trap.

bester69

#371 Post by bester69 »

Last edited by bester69 on 2020-12-22 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#372 Post by sunrat »

CwF wrote:
bester69 wrote:you'll get used to it..
No, I won't.
No use discussing this with the jester, it knows it is always right... :mrgreen: I suspect if MS created "Windows Linux" it would be the first to jump ship.
I prefer the windows vm to take up the slack for what debian can't do. Why build a pig when you can simply invite a guest over, the mother of all pigs.
Yep. Why wallow in a pigsty full of crap when you can live in a nice house with a pigsty in the backyard.
Basically, I believe snap and flatpack could lead to laziness and audit looseness.
I've already noticed a steady flow of support questions for containerised app problems, moreso in other distro forums than here maybe because experienced Debian users are more likely to use proper Linux packages. Containerised applications are a cancer on Linux. I vaguely recall trying to install one ages ago and it wanted to pull in half a GB of runtime dependencies so I aborted. Haven't been near a snap or flatpak since. Appimages are better as they don't need a runtime installed and I do use a couple occasionally, but they still can be quite a few multiples in size of an equivalent native package. One I tried was a renaming application of 30MB but I ended up replacing it with Double Commander which is a full file manager with a good rename utility which was about 5MB all up.
Still, this 'windows' thinking isn't good in my opinion. A 'store' is outright blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. A maintained repository is a linux strong point and is not synonymous to a 'store'.
Agreed.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

bester69

#373 Post by bester69 »

Streamtuner2
streamtuner2 is an internet radio browser. It looks up the categorized music stations from various directory services:
>> You can use any external player to play radios (mpd, vlc, audacious, mpv..) :idea:

SHOUTcast
Xiph.org (utilizing a faster caching service)
live365
InternetRadio.com
Jamendo (radios, genres, albums and playlists)
MyOggRadio (open source stream directory project)
Youtube (for Music videos)
SurfMusik (International listings)

**last update 2018-12-31 (v2.2.1) >> Seems to be deprecated, thought some services music cloud seems to work ok
http://milki.include-once.org/streamtuner2/
http://fossil.include-once.org/streamtuner2/index

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#374 Post by sunrat »

bester69 wrote:Streamtuner2
streamtuner2 is an internet radio browser. It looks up the categorized music stations from various directory services:...
Congratulations on posting an actual real Linux application we can install from Debian repos! :wink:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

vicshrike

#375 Post by vicshrike »

Hey, that sounds cool. Thanks bester69.

Gew

List of your linux Apps

#376 Post by Gew »

tmux
irssi
curl
ping

bester69

#377 Post by bester69 »

** Alternative to PeaZip

7zip (p7zip-desktop)
7-Zip is a file archiver with a high compression ratio, this package also includes the graphic frontend for maximum cosiness on the desktop.
P7Zip - Desktop is a soft-fork of p7zip, the copyright is owned by: Igor Pavlov for most of the code, Ernesto Castellotti (erny.castell@gmail.com) for the patches necessary for the operation of the p7zip GUI with Snap, and by other contributors (eg Debian Developers for its patches to p7zip).

sudo snap install p7zip-desktop

craigevil

#378 Post by craigevil »

Same version of p7zip is in Debian.
p7zip/unstable,now 16.02+dfsg-8 arm64 [installed,automatic]
7zr file archiver with high compression ratio

p7zip-full/unstable,now 16.02+dfsg-8 arm64 [installed,automatic]
7z and 7za file archivers with high compression ratio

As far as Flatpak goes I have one app installed Bitwarden.
Same goes for Snap, Chromium Beta , Version 90.0.4430.19 (Official Build) snap (64-bit), oh and the Snap-Store app.
Along with all the cruft that comes with installing either one.
Packages: 2205 (dpkg), 6 (flatpak), 9 (snap)
Flatpak:

Code: Select all

flatpak list
Name                          Application ID                                 Version           Branch          Installation
Bitwarden                     com.bitwarden.desktop                          1.7.0             stable          system
Freedesktop Platform          org.freedesktop.Platform                       18.08.39          18.08           system
Freedesktop Platform          org.freedesktop.Platform                       20.08.6           20.08           system
default                       org.freedesktop.Platform.GL.default                              20.08           system
html5-codecs                  org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs                            18.08           system
Breeze Gtk theme              org.gtk.Gtk3theme.Breeze                                         3.22            system

Snap:

snap list
Name               Version                     Rev    Tracking       Publisher   Notes
chromium           90.0.4430.19                1519   latest/beta    canonical✓  -
core               16-2.49                     10862  latest/stable  canonical✓  core
core18             20210128                    1990   latest/stable  canonical✓  base
core20             20201210                    907    latest/stable  canonical✓  base
gnome-3-28-1804    3.28.0-19-g98f9e67.98f9e67  147    latest/stable  canonical✓  -
gnome-3-34-1804    0+git.3556cb3               68     latest/stable  canonical✓  -
gtk-common-themes  0.1-50-gf7627e4             1514   latest/stable  canonical✓  -
snap-store         3.38.0-55-geb45541          499    latest/stable  canonical✓  -

Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

bester69

#379 Post by bester69 »

craigevil wrote:Same version of p7zip is in Debian.
p7zip/unstable,now 16.02+dfsg-8 arm64 [installed,automatic]
7zr file archiver with high compression ratio

p7zip-full/unstable,now 16.02+dfsg-8 arm64 [installed,automatic]
7z and 7za file archivers with high compression ratio
My flatpaks

Evolution - Gestione su correo-e, contactos y calendario	org.gnome.Evolution	3.36.3  (by Flathub.org)	stable	x86_64	flathub	system
Meld - Compare y combine sus archivos	org.gnome.meld	3.20.2	stable	x86_64	flathub	system
GnuCash - Gestione sus finanzas, cuentas e inversiones	org.gnucash.GnuCash	4.4	stable	x86_64	flathub	system
Kodi - Media center	tv.kodi.Kodi	18.8-Leia	stable	x86_64	flathub	system
I use mainly snaps: :o , having to stay in Stretch I need to use them

Name                             Version                     Rev    Tracking          Publisher        Notes
auryo                            2.5.4                       208    latest/stable     sneljo           -
authy                            1.8.3                       5      latest/beta       twilio-authy     -
bitwarden                        1.22.2                      31     latest/stable     bitwarden*       -
brave                            1.15.76                     82     latest/stable     brave            -
chromium                         88.0.4324.146               1475   latest/stable     canonical*       -
chromium-ffmpeg                  0.1                         17     latest/stable     canonical*       -
deadbeef-vs                      1.8.2-snap1                 5      latest/stable     vasilisc         -
drive                            current                     22     latest/stable     fireeye          -
losslesscut                      3.32.0                      62     latest/stable     mifino           -
okular                           20.04.0                     98     latest/stable     kde*             -
opera                            67.0.3575.53                67     latest/stable     opera-software*  -
p7zip-desktop                    16.02.2                     220    latest/stable     ernytech         -
riseup-vpn                       0.20.4                      161    latest/stable     leapsnaps        classic
shortwave                        1.1.1                       1      latest/stable     alexmurray       -
snap-store                       3.38.0-59-g494f078          518    latest/stable     canonical*       -
tizonia                          0.22.0                      482    latest/stable     tizonia          -
Auryo: Very good App to listen SoundCloud
Bitwarden
DeadBeef: Works better snap's version than native one
drive: Client to push files to GoogleDrive
losslesscut: App to cut movies
riseup-vpn: free vpn
shortwave: App radio
tizonia: Command app to listen cloud music

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#380 Post by sunrat »

craigevil wrote:Along with all the cruft that comes with installing either one.
Can you work out how much cruft they pull in? I did a simulate install of some snap package and it wanted to install something like a gigabyte of runtime dependencies. Abandoned that crazy idea and found a perfectly good native alternative which used a few MB. Flatpak is similar afaik.
Containerised applications are a disease imo. Some call it windowsisation. I prefer Linux. This is the way. :wink:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!