Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

List of your linux Apps

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
millpond

Re: List of your linux Apps

#31 Post by millpond »

bester69 wrote:
Randicus wrote:
7. Thunar and others files explorer are in my opinion shitty, the only one that worth something is dolphin, i need to have a file explorer that doesnt mess with drag and drop, and dolphin ask you always you drag some files for confirmation, thurdermore dolphin give you tabs, split view, previews of any type, zoom in/out easily, and full integration with others kde apps.
ask you always you drag some files for confirmation - Look in Preferences. Even a simple FM like PCmanFM will do that if "ask" is selected as the "Default drop action."
previews of any type - Again, most FMs have various settings in Preferences.
split view - Krusader is a good two-pane FM, if one does not mind KDE bloat.
zoom in/out easily - Try Ctrl + mouse wheel.
- Sorry, but thats not true, ive tried nautilus, thunar, and caja and they dont have anywhere drag and drop asking, please show me where to check to apply that function.
- They dont have preview like dolphin which apply to any folder view and any type of files, nautilius and the rest just keep the fix setting in preferences and only show preview pictures, dolphin show you preview of pdf's, pictures, vectorial graphics, movies, words, txts, comics, etc, please dont compare.
- Zoom in/out is like the same you have zoom bar or and zoom buttons, you keep the zoom per type view, again please dont compare.

The main reason i use KDE intead of MATE is because of dolphin (drag and drop asking) and akonady framework (Contacts, mail, calendar of google integrated working great).

Akonadi, Nepomuk and the other PIM stuff are the first things I disable in KDE. They are intrusive and abusive of system resources, and probably best replaced with other utilities.Make sure you turn the indexer OFF. In fact, without that crap KDE is not much more memory intensive than other DE's.

bester69

#32 Post by bester69 »

millpond wrote:
bester69 wrote:
Randicus wrote: ..
Akonadi, Nepomuk and the other PIM stuff are the first things I disable in KDE. They are intrusive and abusive of system resources, and probably best replaced with other utilities.Make sure you turn the indexer OFF. In fact, without that crap KDE is not much more memory intensive than other DE's.
I undestand you, i also disable Nepomuk,and replace it with recoll, but aknonadi no way in hell!!! :x , its too good, to disable it, i know it consumes some ram but it give you too much in change :wink: . i first thought like you with akonadi..
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Randicus

#33 Post by Randicus »

bester69 wrote:- Sorry, but thats not true, ive tried nautilus, thunar, and caja and they dont have anywhere drag and drop asking, please show me where to check to apply that function.
I already told you. "Edit/Preferences" If PCmanFM has it, Thunar must also have it. I do not remember all of Thunar's features, because I have not used it in quite a while. The point being, with any file manager, look at all the options in Preferences. You would be surprised at what you find.
- Zoom in/out is like the same you have zoom bar or and zoom buttons, you keep the zoom per type view, again please dont compare.
I cannot remember any file manager I have used that did not have a zoom feature in the View menu and the ability to add + and - icons to the task bar. Krusader even allows the two panes to have different zoom levels. And as already mentioned, some file managers use the combination of mouse wheel with Ctrl, or perhaps Alt.
please dont compare.
In other words, you like what you like and think everything else is crap, and do not want anyone to contradict your opinions and false claims with facts. You started a thread for people to compare their favoured applications. Then when people list applications you do not like, you call them crap because, since you cannot be bothered to familiarise yourself with them, you believe they are lacking features. When your ignorance of said applications is pointed out, you say do not compare. If you do not like comparisons, do not start threads asking for comparisons. And yes, that is what you did when you listed your applications and invited everyone else to list theirs. "I like these. What do you like?" Considering you are on a quest to make KDE look like Windows, it is not surprising that only KDE applications are not garbage.
KDE is not so demanding like they say, .... Whith 2Gb RAM y can work propertly
2GB of RAM is not demanding of resources? I know you hate comparisons, but compare the memory requirements of KDE to Xfce. For even more dramatic effect, compare it to WMs. If you honestly believe a minimum of 2GB RAM to use a GUI is not resource intensive, you have no touch with reality. A supposition supported by your other threads.

Head_on_a_Stick

#34 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ +1
deadbang

stevepusser

#35 Post by stevepusser »

Minitube is utter garbage because it can no longer download videos, and the way it accesses the Youtube API ensures that it won't ever make it back into the repositories. :D Just my opinion.

The current SMtube in Jessie is broken by the API change, but there's a working update in jessie-backports, and you can open a video with Uget in order to download it.
MX Linux packager and developer

Wheelerof4te

#36 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Why it won't make it to the repos? Does it use non-free software to access the API?

stevepusser

#37 Post by stevepusser »

Whoever packages the new minitube source is supposed to go to Google and get some sort of Youtube API key, then configure the build to include that personal key--so if you use the deb from minitube, you're using their personal key. This makes the program dependent on one person's key, which he or Google may revoke at any time, plus I don't think Debian would go for that kind of malarkey.

https://github.com/flaviotordini/minitube
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#38 Post by bester69 »

sorry, i cant find anything new that deserve to be posted, perhaps you can deliver something here.. :roll:
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

#39 Post by bester69 »

bester69 wrote:sorry, i cant find anything new that deserve to be posted, perhaps you can deliver something here.. :roll:
ok, i found a new one i didnt know that exist, and were so good.

MediaCoder-->MediaCoder is a universal media transcoding software actively developed and maintained since 2005.
(http://www.mediacoderhq.com/ Free Trasncoding software ready to wine linux).:

Converting between most popular audio and video formats
H.264/H.265 GPU accelerated encoding (QuickSync, NVENC, CUDA)
Ripping BD/DVD/VCD/CD and capturing from video cameras
Enhancing audio and video contents by various filters
An extremely rich set of transcoding parameters for adjusting and tuning
Multi-threaded design and parallel filtering unleashing multi-core power
Segmental Video Encoding technology for improved parallelization
-------------------------------------

i just tested some bit and it just seems to work great with wine, ant its pretty complete.

GarryRicketson

#40 Post by GarryRicketson »

MediaCoder-->MediaCoder is a universal media transcoding software actively developed and maintained since 2005.
I wouldn't go to that site,
https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/ww ... derhq.com/
ISSUE DETECTED DEFINITION INFECTED URL
Internal Server Error 500-error?v1 http://www.mediacoderhq.com/404testpage4525d2fdc ( View Payload )
Internal Server Error 500-error?v1 http://www.mediacoderhq.com/404javascript.js ( View Payload )
--
Also : https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/medi ... t-82160169
Ornithophilia 07/06/2014
Misleading claims or unethical
Suspicious
Potentially unwanted programs
a program that crashes, freezes, & won't open 90% of the time. useless

bester69

#41 Post by bester69 »

GarryRicketson wrote:
I wouldn't go to that site,
Potentially unwanted programs
a program that crashes, freezes, & won't open 90% of the time. useless
[/quote]
OMG , you, also can download from http://www.digital-digest.com/software/ ... story.html

Prior to 2008, MediaCoder was a free and open-source software application (curious :shock: , it was open source, i wonder where is the rests of it)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaCoder

i find this software a closer alternative to virtualdub than tools like avidemux or transmaggedon, and it can be used in linux

GarryRicketson

#42 Post by GarryRicketson »

This is garbage, for the windows malware garbage,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaCoder
MediaCoder is a proprietary transcoding program for Microsoft Windows. It has been developed by Stanley Huang since 2005.
While MediaCoder is supplied free of charge and fully functional as long as there is an internet connection available, it is supported by bundling the OpenCandy software recommendation service in its installer. During a batch conversions once a certain number of conversions have been performed a window appears requiring human interaction (a simple CAPTCHA) to dismiss or pay a donation in order to remove the periodic nagging. ($15 minimum in 2011, $20 in 2012, $25 as of August 2013)
It is not really "free", any body that is dumb enough to install this kind of garbage on their computer , deserves the consequences.

bester69

#43 Post by bester69 »

GarryRicketson wrote:This is garbage, for the windows malware garbage,
It is not really "free", any body that is dumb enough to install this kind of garbage on their computer , deserves the consequences.
yes, it deserves the consequences :lol:

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#44 Post by 4D696B65 »

Proprietary Windows programs are now considered linux apps?

dasein

#45 Post by dasein »

4D696B65 wrote:Proprietary Windows programs are now considered linux apps?
Apparently so, at least amongst a random sample of technically clueless teenagers. :lol:

sjukfan

#46 Post by sjukfan »

Livestreamer is pretty cool. Pipes youtube, twitch, and many more to vlc or some other media player. There's also addons for firefox and chrome that let you send an url directly to livestreamer.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

spacex

#47 Post by spacex »

I like "youtube-dl", an awesome little app :)

bester69

#48 Post by bester69 »

spacex wrote:I like "youtube-dl", an awesome little app :)
yes, i love this one too,

you can download best quality video+audio
or
you can play streaming youtube videos in your favourite player:

mpv/ vlc $(youtube-dl -g youtubevideo)

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#49 Post by oswaldkelso »

Add this to your .bashrc

Code: Select all

alias yt='youtube-dl -t -f 43 -c'

Then just open a terminal type yt and paste the video url and go back to doing some work while it downloads. Great for skipping all the ads and for folk with slow connections
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

bester69

#50 Post by bester69 »

Opera Browser for Linux-
http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?os=linux-i386

We've chromium (or chrome), iceweasel(or firefox) and then comes Opera browser, or perhaps we can say we have Opera browser and the rest because opera browser is the most complete and fast browser all together.

opera browser uses chromium core, and offer us some interesting features that we cant find in the others browsers such as:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_ ... eb_browser

- Thumbnail Tabs preview
- Sessions--> save all the open tabs and windows as a new session.
- Page zooming--> Instead of just making the text bigger, this feature expands all page elements
- Fit to width (love this one)--> allowing websites to fit within a smaller screen resolution without the need for horizontal scrolling.
- Content blocker --> can be used to block any content on a page. must right click on the page, and click "Block Content"
- Download Manager
- BitTorrent Client build-in
- Mouse gestures -->Open newtab/ background newtab, etc
- Opera Mail --> Integrated client Mail (Imap, smtp supported)
- Opera Turbo--> Opera compresses requested web pages (but not HTTPS secure pages) by up to 80%,
- many, many more..
Last edited by bester69 on 2015-10-28 20:26, edited 1 time in total.