Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dell customers want Linux

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

Dell customers want Linux

#1 Post by Lavene »

Dell asks customers for ideas...
The most popular ideas? Preinstalled Linux and preinstalled OpenOffice.

Who said: "There is no demand for preinstalled Linux"?

Tina

Dargor

#2 Post by Dargor »

woot, ten points if they(dell)(and the rest of the world listen).

ghostdawg

#3 Post by ghostdawg »

"Dude, you're getting a Dell" :o
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

njkt

#4 Post by njkt »

currently at: 29079 for pre-installed linux... yay?

synux

Re: Dell customers want Linux

#5 Post by synux »

Lavene wrote:Dell asks customers for ideas...
The most popular ideas? Preinstalled Linux and preinstalled OpenOffice.

Who said: "There is no demand for preinstalled Linux"?

Tina
COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

Optional

#6 Post by Optional »

How ironic. My Core 2 Duo Dell laptop arrives today. :)

It will have its Vista partition resized and be dual-booted with Debian. :lol:

Grifter

#7 Post by Grifter »

I don't think dell will offer any linux stuff seriously, they've tried before and got punished by ms, so they've learned their lesson well
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

hcgtv

#8 Post by hcgtv »

Dell has always hinted to pre-installing Linux, there's the page, now it's gone type of thing.

I believe this is a reaction to the obvious slow adoption of Vista, nobody upgrading, no need for new equipment.

So let's start offering Linux, once again, but this time let's get it Digged, wonderful idea! ;)
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

synux

#9 Post by synux »

My local PC store used to offer SUSE Linux pre-installed for FREE on any custom built PC ordered through their website.., but now they have dropped it from the list of the available Operating Systems.. I don't know why they took it out from the list? :(
Don't dream your life; live your dream!

Stretch

#10 Post by Stretch »

Hey I guess that's something Dell and I have in common. We've both been flirting with Linux over the years. :)

Several years ago I found a small, out of the way corner of Dell's website that offered to sell a Dimension Desktop running Red Hat. I thought this was very cool at the time. Now, I think they still offer something comparable - the N series - with no OS installed and a copy of Freedos shipped with it. In fact, I suppose you could purchase a very nice, basic dell desktop and install Debian on it after you've wiped the Windows OS.

This article is a year old, but it reveals a little more on Michael Dell's view of Linux.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS3822185143.html

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by oswaldkelso »

Stretch wrote: I think they still offer something comparable - the N series - with no OS installed and a copy of Freedos shipped with it. In fact, I suppose you could purchase a very nice, basic dell desktop and install Debian on it after you've wiped the Windows OS.
yes heres the link

http://www.dell.com/content/products/fe ... l=en&s=bsd
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

Pobega

#12 Post by Pobega »

oswaldkelso wrote:
Stretch wrote: I think they still offer something comparable - the N series - with no OS installed and a copy of Freedos shipped with it. In fact, I suppose you could purchase a very nice, basic dell desktop and install Debian on it after you've wiped the Windows OS.
yes heres the link

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about that on the Ubuntu forums some time ago and it turned out that the N Series without an OS costed more than a comparable PC with Windows. So in reality it'd be cheaper to just wipe Windows from your computer.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#13 Post by oswaldkelso »

Pobega wrote:
oswaldkelso wrote:
yes heres the link

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about that on the Ubuntu forums some time ago and it turned out that the N Series without an OS costed more than a comparable PC with Windows. So in reality it'd be cheaper to just wipe Windows from your computer.
Thats why you should join my thread :wink:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=12962
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

garrincha

#14 Post by garrincha »

This is the 2nd top headline in the BBC News online technology section:

Dell to use Ubuntu on Linux PCs
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6610901.stm

As I suspected and no surprise to me. :)
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

DeanLinkous

#15 Post by DeanLinkous »

Yea, it is offical - since late yesterday actually. :D
Should be interesting!
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

e1even1

#16 Post by e1even1 »

am i the only one who thinks this is a bad thing? :-) maybe i'm wrong but anyone who needs linux pre-installed to use it definitely isn't linux material and shouldn't be using it.

linux isn't unbreakable. you guys see that up here regularly. and the quickest way to break anything is to give it to an unsophisticated user. so these users are, for example, going to hear about some new whizbang package manager and install it and totally bork their systems and then not have the ability to fix it or rescue it or even re-install it. and THEN, god help them, they'll call dell and not even be able to reach a 98.6 and if they can, then that agent will transfer them to a dial tone.

so they'll give up on dell support and open the yellow pages and try to find a tech and they'll see pages and pages of windows techs.

then they'll go up to the forum (buntu in this case :-) ) and rant insanely.

actually, it could be pretty entertaining.

jml

#17 Post by jml »

Actually, eleven1, it may turn out OK. When I read the news release it says that Dell will be referring their customers to Cannonical for Ubuntu support, (for a fee I presume) I hope that the purchase price will include a reasonable amount of this support, say one year. If they handle it right, the new user's experience may not be that bad.Unlike experienced Linux users, I would bet that most new users are less likely to break their system. I would assume that their computer demands would be a bit less sophisticated, and by limiting there software downloads to "official" repos, the chance for breakage is less. Personally, if it were not for the commercial customer support option, which I think many former Windows/Mac users would want, I think the best distro to install would be Debian Stable. Once installed, very few updates or changes to break a system. Its not unheard of for an official Ubuntu update to cause breakage. That's why customer support will be so crucial.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

DeanLinkous

#18 Post by DeanLinkous »

A few thousand ubuntu geeks will buy these systems, a few thousand linux geeks will buy these to use with other distros, and then hopefully everyone will see that linux is a geek market and nothing else.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Dargor

#19 Post by Dargor »

Commercial driver support is the most important thing.

Thats all i care about on the issue. I would think it to be the main motivation for this campaign.

e1even1

#20 Post by e1even1 »

Dargor wrote:Commercial driver support is the most important thing.
i hadn't thought about that. if we end up with better driver support because of it, then that's a good thing.