Dell customers want Linux

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Postby e1even1 » 2007-05-03 01:25

am i the only one who thinks this is a bad thing? :-) maybe i'm wrong but anyone who needs linux pre-installed to use it definitely isn't linux material and shouldn't be using it.

linux isn't unbreakable. you guys see that up here regularly. and the quickest way to break anything is to give it to an unsophisticated user. so these users are, for example, going to hear about some new whizbang package manager and install it and totally bork their systems and then not have the ability to fix it or rescue it or even re-install it. and THEN, god help them, they'll call dell and not even be able to reach a 98.6 and if they can, then that agent will transfer them to a dial tone.

so they'll give up on dell support and open the yellow pages and try to find a tech and they'll see pages and pages of windows techs.

then they'll go up to the forum (buntu in this case :-) ) and rant insanely.

actually, it could be pretty entertaining.
e1even1

Postby jml » 2007-05-03 01:50

Actually, eleven1, it may turn out OK. When I read the news release it says that Dell will be referring their customers to Cannonical for Ubuntu support, (for a fee I presume) I hope that the purchase price will include a reasonable amount of this support, say one year. If they handle it right, the new user's experience may not be that bad.Unlike experienced Linux users, I would bet that most new users are less likely to break their system. I would assume that their computer demands would be a bit less sophisticated, and by limiting there software downloads to "official" repos, the chance for breakage is less. Personally, if it were not for the commercial customer support option, which I think many former Windows/Mac users would want, I think the best distro to install would be Debian Stable. Once installed, very few updates or changes to break a system. Its not unheard of for an official Ubuntu update to cause breakage. That's why customer support will be so crucial.

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.
jml

Postby DeanLinkous » 2007-05-03 01:59

A few thousand ubuntu geeks will buy these systems, a few thousand linux geeks will buy these to use with other distros, and then hopefully everyone will see that linux is a geek market and nothing else.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!
DeanLinkous

Postby Dargor » 2007-05-03 03:58

Commercial driver support is the most important thing.

Thats all i care about on the issue. I would think it to be the main motivation for this campaign.
Dargor

Postby e1even1 » 2007-05-03 04:11

Dargor wrote:Commercial driver support is the most important thing.

i hadn't thought about that. if we end up with better driver support because of it, then that's a good thing.
e1even1

Postby GMouse » 2007-05-03 07:05

DeanLinkous wrote:A few thousand ubuntu geeks will buy these systems, a few thousand linux geeks will buy these to use with other distros, and then hopefully everyone will see that linux is a geek market and nothing else.

Hopefully? Don't you want a greater installed base and mindshare? The Ubuntu community would absorb the greater majority of the newbies, but all of the FLOSS world would benefit by the greater clout.
For the sake of proper attribution, my avatar: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40999320/
GMouse

Postby chrismortimore » 2007-05-03 12:56

I've found that Dell's are usually very well behaved with Linux anyway. But it's always good to have another big company supporting Linux :)
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 5x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE2 (RAID5), Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB
chrismortimore

Postby DeanLinkous » 2007-05-03 13:39

GMouse wrote:Hopefully? Don't you want a greater installed base and mindshare?

No newbies are coming from this. If someone does not know what Ubuntu is then they certainly are not going to choose a computer with ubuntu on it. If they do, then they will complain that they thought it was some kind of app that runs on windows since windows==computer.

Geeks have done a good job spreading linux even taking a few non-geeks and introducing them to geek-dom at least enough geek-dom to do basic tasks using linux. That is how I prefer to achieve *mindshare*

It is cool to have linux compatible hardware as I said some sales would be for that very reason. Of course, what is compatible today may not be tommorrow. As previously mentioned though, the past few dells that I have ran across have been perfectly compatible anyway but that was before all the AMD/Nvidia systems.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!
DeanLinkous

Postby hcgtv » 2007-05-03 14:50

Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard
hcgtv

Previous

Return to Offtopic