List of your linux commands Apps

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Re: List of your linux commands Apps

Postby bester69 » 2019-10-28 12:36

pdfposter
Pdfposter can be used to create a large poster by building it from multiple pages and/or printing it on large media. It expects as input a PDF file, normally printing on a single page. The output is again a PDF file, maybe containing multiple pages together building the poster. The input page will be scaled to obtain the desired size.
https://pdfposter.readthedocs.io/en/stable/Usage.html
https://pdfposter.readthedocs.io/en/sta ... mples.html

Examples.:
pdfposter -mA3 -pA0 a4.pdf out.pdf:
Prints an A4 input file on 8 A3 pages, forming an A0 poster.
pdfposter -p3x3Let a4.pdf out.pdf:
Prints an inputfile on a poster of 3x3 Letter pages.
pdfposter -mA0 input.pdf out.pdf:
Enlarges an inputfile to print on a large-media A0 capable device.
pdfposter -s4 input.pdf out.pdf:
Enlarge an inputfile exactly 4 times, print on the default A4 media, and let pdfposter determine the number of pages required.
pdfposter -m10x10cm -pa0 a4.pdf out.pdf:
Just to show how efficient pdfposter is: This will create a file containing 192 pages, but only 15 times as big as the single page. With a4.pdf being a quite empty page, this ratio should be even better for filled pages.
bester69 wrote:You wont change my mind when I know Im right, Im not an ...
bester69

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-10-28 13:05

ALL OF EM ... :D

One cool one I'd found not long ago came to mind when read this threads title, it's called ncdu. ie: Try "ncdu /var/log" think it's cool. Haven't really gotten around to learning or using it much.
Deb-fan

Postby Cyborg » 2019-10-28 15:49

I quite like tldr (sudo apt install tldr). It gives you a summary of the man page of most commands, with some typical examples.
Keep it up-to-date by running tldr --update
Cyborg

Postby wizard10000 » 2019-10-28 16:29

Deb-fan wrote:ALL OF EM ... :D

One cool one I'd found not long ago came to mind when read this threads title, it's called ncdu. ie: Try "ncdu /var/log" think it's cool. Haven't really gotten around to learning or using it much.

ncdu has been my go-to for awhile. There really isn't much to learn and it's pretty darn handy :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-10-28 17:33

Don't break DebianHow to report bugs

SharpBang GNU/Linux — a pre-configured Openbox/Tint2 desktop running on Debian stable
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Deb-fan » 2019-10-29 00:56

Wizard10000 :) , another I find myself using often is mlocate ... for the locate cmd. ie: "locate lightdm |grep config" etc etc. One thing recently discovered about it I don't so much like is the thing has been set in Stretch and Buster to update it's database daily. Noted updatedb and find were smashing my cpu(s), while was dorking around. So ended up tracking it down to cron.daily and just chmod'ed it's file so it's no longer executable. Just run "updatedb" manually as needed, don't need it doing it ... itself daily. Noticed often you have to do itself yourself anyway, install something, start trying to find its config files and locate won't cause it hasn't updated recently enough.
Deb-fan

Previous

Return to Offtopic