Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DOT puts Moratorium on Vista

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
jml

DOT puts Moratorium on Vista

#1 Post by jml »

Just saw a reference to this article on Slash/Dot. Just an FYI.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/sho ... =197700789

Joe
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

ghostdawg

#2 Post by ghostdawg »

the wow OS...
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

hcgtv

#3 Post by hcgtv »

Vista is shaping up to be reminiscent of Windows ME. I remember when Windows ME came out, all the hype, followed by all the groans.

In a way, I feel sad for Gates and Company, all those billions of dollars spent on something that amounts to XP with eye candy. I hope I'm never forced to use Vista, may all the PC manufacturers follow Dell's lead and start offering Linux pre-installed or at least a no OS option.
Bert Garcia - When all you have is a keyboard

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by Lavene »

Well, it's a great headline... well suited to make people believe that DOT has actually banned Vista. (Sadly?) That's not the case of course. They banned their employees from upgrading... for now... while they test stuff in order to find the least painful way to perform the upgrade.

All in all it's a very common procedure and highly OS independent. You don't want 10 000 of your employees start 'fixing' their systems on their own. And when you go ahead with the upgrade you want to be sure it goes as smoothly as possible. Hence a few months 'ban'.

Tina

DeanLinkous

#5 Post by DeanLinkous »

But it is a good sign that microsoft says "jump" and nowadays people actually stop to consider it before they do it.
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by Lavene »

DeanLinkous wrote:But it is a good sign that microsoft says "jump" and nowadays people actually stop to consider it before they do it.
Indeed! :)

Tina