Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Forgoted command help

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
cymro

Forgoted command help

#1 Post by cymro »

I wonder if anyone can help.

I found a command that fixed my problem but I can't find it again.
It is rather like that song The Lost Chord.

I am configuring a debian system on a Raspberry PI. It is a specail one for the Openmediavault.

It wouldn't connect to the wifi and I was investigating and googling and I found a command that i thought investigated the wlan but it fixed the problem.

I was investigating the startup messages appear on the screen and was getting No DHCPFFERS.

The command produced a series of lines very similar to that it the startup messages something like

DHCPSOMETHING ,,,,,,,,

but without the no offers stuff

so I tried a ping and discovered it was working

The command MIGHT have started with an if

Can anyone guide me as to what it was?

lukas

Re: Forgoted command help

#2 Post by lukas »

The commandline has got a history. You can scroll it by opening a terminal and look at earlier commands by using the "arrow"-key of your keyboard.
The history is stored in the file:
~/.bash_history
(in this case probably the home directory of the root user, /root/.bash_history)

If you have edited /etc/inputrc (or if it is already edited in raspian) *and* you know the beginning of the command (you say "if"), you can type the beginning chars and use and the "page-up"-key.
You should edit /etc/inputrc to get that feature, it is very useful
uncomment these lines:
# alternate mappings for "page up" and "page down" to search the history
"\e[5~": history-search-backward
"\e[6~": history-search-forward

There is also the "apropos" command, perhaps it will help you:
apropos dhcp

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

OpenMedia Vault might be “based” on Debian, but it is NOT Debian.

Look at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=114644&start=15#p542283

You would be better to ask the OpenMediaVault Forums >>> http://forums.openmediavault.org/index. ... 148736d371

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

cymro wrote:The command MIGHT have started with an if
You can answer your own question. As root, type "if" and use [TAB] completion to see the list of available commends that start with "if".

(Added bonus: no telepathy required.)